Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Biggest Loser this week *spoiler*- do you believe what Jillian said???

I'm sure anyone who watched will remember this, it blew me away. One of the girls who came from working out at home only lost two pounds, and Jillian and Bob both said that only could have been because she didn't work hard.

Jillian said that two things are just BS that trainers tell people to keep them coming back
-the idea of losing inches but no pounds
-the idea of gaining muscle but not losing pounds

She basically said if you're not losing weight, little else matters.

What do you guys think? Do you believe it?

Last edited by kelly315; 02-04-2009 at 06:52 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #2  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I think she was just pissed off. Me and my housemates were watching that and two of them are taking a nutrition class and one is taking areobics and they both called BS. And my weight training instructor said the same thing last year when I took a class.

That being said I think if she was working out as hard as she said she would have lost more weight.

I couldn't believe when she said she spent 4-5 hours at the gym everyday but ate bad. Then spend 2-3 hours a the gym and use the extra time to plan your meals and prepare them! It's not rocket science.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #3  

Default I agree

I think you can lose inches, weight, etc.

I don't like Jillian, she never gives compliments, and if I were there and she got in my face and yelled at me to "just do it" I am afraid I would tell her to %%%%% off.

I know the trainers are trying to get people to exercise and push themselves, but some encouragement would be nice. Maybe they can't do what Jillian can do,????
dianek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #4  
It's my turn to shine

S/C/G: 180/170/140

Height: 5'4

Well I think what she was trying to say she worded wrong. With muscle gain comes higher metabolism. So she really should of lost more weight if she gained so much muscle because it fuels metabolism. So she should of lost more but I think that Jillian was pissed and she just worded what she meant wrong. There are no excuses and I think that is what she was aiming for but she misconstrued it.
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

Yeah I don't know about that. I mean two people at the same height can weigh the same and look completely different because of muscle and tone so I am not sure how she explains that. Like she is a trainer..not a doctor.

But I think what she was going for was that if you only lost two pounds, you couldn't have lost that many inches. I think if you are a lower weight it is more likely that you could lose inches and not a lot of weight but if you have a higher volume of weight to lose, you probably aren't going to ONLY lose inches. That is my guess of what she was trying to convey but who knows, I think she was a bit over the top about it.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't think that she was necessarily saying that inch loss is worthless. I heard that statement more as saying "Look, if you were working hard, you would have lost pounds". Since building muscle is SLOOOOOOW, even if she was working her BUTT off in the gym, eating totally clean, and had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man, she could gain 1 lb of muscle a week, MAYBE. That means that instead of losing 2 lbs of fat (which is what the scale said), she lost at BEST 6 (with 4 lbs of gained muscle balancing out 4 lbs of fat lost). Jillian was giving a REALITY CHECK that, guess what, if you were working as hard as you say you were, YOU WOULD HAVE LOST POUNDS ON THE SCALE.

Ultimately, unless you are plateaued (which is unlikely considering she has just started), if you are working on fat loss, you're going to lose pounds on the scale. I think that she was calling BS on the idea that weight loss in significant amounts could be slowed by muscle gains...it just isn't biologically possible. You may build a few pounds of muscle, but it won't be NEARLY enough to "counteract" your fat loss through diet and exercise. And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 02-04-2009 at 07:15 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #7  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Jillian is often times depicted as the bad guy on the show due to editing. I don't think she meant it that if you're not losing weight then nothing else matters. For this show, yes, the biggest thing that matters is losing the weight because it's a weight loss show. But I don't thinks she meant it to put other people down who are losing weight at home to feel less if the scale isn't moving. She's more talking in the context of the show.
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
even if she... had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man
She's got five kids. I think we can rule this part out.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #9  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

haha, this is being discussed on like every part of the forum. I knew it would get a lot of us riled up.

I wonder if Jillian is getting a lot of e-mail about this.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I don't think that she was necessarily saying that inch loss is worthless. I heard that statement more as saying "Look, if you were working hard, you would have lost pounds". Since building muscle is SLOOOOOOW, even if she was working her BUTT off in the gym, eating totally clean, and had a biological/hormonal imbalance that made her gain muscle like a man, she could gain 1 lb of muscle a week, MAYBE. That means that instead of losing 2 lbs of fat (which is what the scale said), she lost at BEST 6 (with 4 lbs of gained muscle balancing out 4 lbs of fat lost). Jillian was giving a REALITY CHECK that, guess what, if you were working as hard as you say you were, YOU WOULD HAVE LOST POUNDS ON THE SCALE.

Ultimately, unless you are plateaued (which is unlikely considering she has just started), if you are working on fat loss, you're going to lose pounds on the scale. I think that she was calling BS on the idea that weight loss in significant amounts could be slowed by muscle gains...it just isn't biologically possible. You may build a few pounds of muscle, but it won't be NEARLY enough to "counteract" your fat loss through diet and exercise. And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.
I agree. I think she was upset at the fact that she was trying to use as an excuse as to why she wasn't losing weight.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #11  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
And I DO believe that people hide behind that "oh, you're putting on muscle" excuse, when in reality, it doesn't make that much of an increase on the scale even if you're working really hard.
I absolutely agree with this.

In reality, the woman in question wasn't working very hard if she only lost 2 pounds per week; I'm able to lose 2 pounds per week through a whole-foods diet, watching calories, and exercising for 45 mins to an hour a day. I don't really consider that going all-out or busting my booty for the weight loss. I'm certainly not putting in Biggest Loser levels of effort.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jillian gets paid plenty and is essentialy a celebrity. Remember, it's a TV show. They probably tell her to yell at them more if she doesn't do enough.

That said, I agree with mandalinn82's take on it. Inches are great if you're trying to look good--but if you're trying to lose weight, you need to drop pounds. And no, muscle does not build up that fast.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
I agree. I think she was upset at the fact that she was trying to use as an excuse as to why she wasn't losing weight.
I agree. I think her comment was taken out of context. Also, as Mandalinn eluded to, people tend to jump on those excuses right away. I think Jillian was simply frustrated with that and NOT saying that it wasn't possible- she just didn't think it was the case with that particular contestant (and neither do I, for that matter... but they don't pay me anything to say that)
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Jillian's words really hit home for me..there have been several times over the past few months that my weight flutuated a pound or two which I honestly believed to be muscle gain. For the next week the scale would show loss. I, too, have a trainer and when I get "bummed" about the number on the scale you wanna guess what he says to me...muscle weighs more than fat! I now believe he uses that line to encourage me to keep up with my workouts. But, hearing those words come from Jillian really put things into perspective for me. I have dropped from a size 22 to a size 14 and I'm getting tired - maybe I'm not using the right words but I definitely don't have the enthusiam as when I first started - I think this a slump period for me - anyway, (finally, getting to the point) Jillians words spoke to my heart - WORK AT IT and the weight will drop - no if's, and's, but's and especially no excuses!

When the first girl was crying for she ONLY lost 15 lbs in 30 days - it was Jillian who told her to stop crying for she lost 1/2 lb everyday she was home and that number was something to be proud of!

In short, what we put into ourselves is what we're gonna get out of ourselves. I thought Bob and Jillian were inspiring with being straight forward.
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

People come up with excuses galore when it comes to why they're not losing weight. Trainers must get SO sick of it.

I've lost 12lbs in 3.5 weeks and I'm working full-time and only hitting the gym 4-5x a week (for cardio and weight training combined). I'm not saying it's *easy*, but I am not putting in Herculean effort like they are *supposed* to be doing on the Biggest Loser. (Although, I *am in a Biggest Loser competition at my gym, LOL!)

Jillian is right that she wasn't working hard enough.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote