Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/226/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I make myself mad

We had ravioli for supper tonight (spinach and cheese), and though I knew what a serving was, I had more anyway because I was hungry, and then instantly regretted it.

It makes me feel like such a fatty when I don't listen. I specifically said "Self: DO NOT EAT MORE RAVIOLI" and before I knew it, I had already had more.

*sigh*

Will I eventually learn to listen to myself? My sense of reason? Because that would be sweet.
Viktoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I do that sometimes too. It just tastes so good, I cant help myself. We were discussing this very topic in the 100 lb club...you should read the post. it is titled Food Awareness Idea.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #3  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

please don't beat yourself up! we've ALL been there and done the exact same thing. it takes time to develop willpower. and even when you do, you'll still make mistakes. it's ok.

one mistake i've made over and over again - i overeat at some point, and then i just say to myself "well this day is shot. i'll start again tomorrow." then i continue to overeat the rest of the day. but a piece of advice i've gotten from this site is that when you mess up, get right back on the wagon that same day.

we have to learn to forgive ourselves. and remember that this is a process, a journey. it took time to develop bad eating habits and it will take time to develop good eating habits.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, a couple things. If you really are genuinely hungry, you are listening to yourself...specifically, listening to your body...by eating more. In an ideal world, you can satisfy that actual hunger while still sticking on your eating plan.

I know that, for me, if I don't eat enough throughout the day, I make it way, way harder to stay on plan at night. I get so hungry I lose control. So what are you eating during the day? Enough that you don't get ravenous? Are you eating regularly?

I also know that I like big portions, so I plan my meals to include something I can have a LOT of, as well as something I can have just a bit of. With the ravioli, for example, I might have a gigantic salad. That way I'm full, but I stay within my calorie allowances anyway.

As you keep going, you learn these things about yourself...what foods will satisfy you, what foods need a side salad, etc. In my experience, the best thing to do is look at what went wrong, come up with a plan to address it next time, and then just move forward.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

OK, so some extra ravioli isn't going to do you in. It was not the best choice, but it wasn't a cheesecake. However, I think it does get easier. You get used to the portion sizes after a while, and they become more second nature...at least they have for me. I agree with Manda, make sure you have a PILE of veggies on the side or a huge salad...so that you can keep munching on something once the pasta is gone. It gives you something to chew while your stomach works on recognizing that it is full. Anyway, upwards and onwards...tomorrow is another day.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #6  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Anything that is remotely comfort food somehows sneaks into my mouth. And pasta and ravioli is a big one in my italian family.

For me, part of losing weight was realizing what those trigger foods are and avoiding them or making sure that I have only a small portion prepared so I can't eat any more. Starches in general are triggers for me. It's like I can literally feel the sugar starches seeping into my blood stream. Muffins are like morphine to me! So I really just try to avoid them. Hence my South Beach Diet adherence
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #7  
No description available.

A trick I have learned when I have finished my dinner but want more is to have a huge glass of water and a chocolate calcium chew. Sometimes I'll even wash the dishes next. I tell myself that if I still want dinner when I am done or in 20 minutes, I can have some. But by then, my brain has gotten the message that I had dinner and I rarely have seconds.

Someone (Glory?) has the mantra "my hand, my mouth" and I think that is very useful. Remember you are in charge!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

That why I like this Alli I am taking... it makes you AFRAID to eat a lot of ravioli!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I tell myself that if I still want dinner when I am done or in 20 minutes, I can have some. But by then, my brain has gotten the message that I had dinner and I rarely have seconds.

Sometimes it just takes that long for my hunger button to stop ringing. If I give myself enough time for my food to settle, I find that my original serving was plenty
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #10  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Many many many times, I told myself that night before going to sleep, that tomorrow I was going to eat better, I was going to make good choices. Then I would wake up, stuff my face with everything in sight, and then after I was ready to explode, I would remember what I told myself the night before, and kick myself in the *** for not even thinking about it.

The problem for me, was that eating was a very mindless activity. It was very mechanical for me to just eat whatever whenever. It's like I wasn't even consciously eating! There's a point to this story.. so anyways, what I'm trying to say is, I had to work VERY VERY hard on making my eating a conscious activity. I had to form a habit of only thinking about what I was doing while I was doing it (when it came to food) in order to make sure that I didn't mechanically eat a cookie, or ten.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

It might help to have a small snack before your bigger meals too, so you aren't quite so hungry when you do sit down with those temptations in front of you. A hot drink (chicken broth, tea) before dinner might also help a little.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Sometimes I'll even wash the dishes next. I tell myself that if I still want dinner when I am done or in 20 minutes, I can have some. But by then, my brain has gotten the message that I had dinner and I rarely have seconds.
That's a great idea, midwife. I'll have to try that. I know that it takes awhile for your brain to register that you're full, so I'll try and give me some time. I just find it frustrating when I make such stupid mistakes. I know that in time I'll learn, even now I'm much better than I was two months ago, but... like I said: VERY bothersome.

I do my best to have three full meals a day of about 400-450 calories each, which leaves me a little room for snacks. Today I had 2 pieces of multigrain dietary toast with margarine, a boiled egg, two Grill Chicken Go Wraps from Wendy's (without sauce), and then the ravioli for supper. I stayed off hunger all day until I came home at 5:30 and I was very hungry! Clearly!

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate having a place to vent and get support. The good news is that I went and ran out my anger playing floor hockey for two hours. I then came home and had a HUGE salad that was a really satisfying... snack...?... I suppose! ha! Thanks again! ^_^
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #13  
No description available.

Ah, try to not be too hard on yourself. It was a misstep, that's all. Life goes on and we all figure it out a little at a time anyway. My danger time is when I get home from work and I am super hungry. Chips, cookies, anything and everything. Lately I've eaten some fruit and either a string cheese or a hardboiled egg (you're a woman after my own heart with your boiled egg!) on the way home from work so I'm not a ravenous beast when I come through the door.

2 hrs of floor hockey? I'm impressed!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #14  

Quote:
you're a woman after my own heart with your boiled egg!
midwife, for the longest time I *hated* boiled eggs, and now I can't get enough! I have to get blood work done next week, and I'm afraid the cholesterol results are going to be crazy high because I eat so many!

The two hours of floor hockey once or twice a week was something I was doing before I started losing weight. The trouble was that I would play for two hours, and then go home and eat a big bag of potato chips. Counter Productive!! Part of the reason I wanted to start eating better was so all of this effort playing hockey would start to pay off in the waistline area.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/242/135

i completely avoid pasta altogether, because i cant eat just a serving. pasta also makes me hungrier.
kitten is offline   Reply With Quote