Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #1  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default What I've learned in 2008 - I'm finally doing it. Here's how.

I noticed that my profile says I've been a member here since August of 2000. In the past 8 years, I have been on the boards/off the boards...reading, posting, being inspired...but never losing more than 10 pounds at a time, usually gaining back that and more. For some reason, April 2008 was when I hit 260lbs and I finally seemed to get my stuff together and make something happen. I still have a long way to go, but I feel this is for good, and that 2009 will show me Onederland and much, much more. Having said that, I just wanted to share what was different this time for anyone who is needing some support who is in the same place in this journey. Every story is different, of course, but I think I've found my way.

1) I picked up Bob Harper's book that had just come out. I've never been a self-help kind of person, but the first part of that book really spoke to me about how I see myself and how much negativity I had in myself - about myself.

2) With the help of the book, it finally sank in that yes, I weighed 260lbs. And it wasn't okay. The sedentary person I'd become was just me being mean to myself and I needed to finally step in and be nice to myself. And that if I was going to make something happen, I needed to find my own weight loss/eating style and work with it. I had to realize this wasn't going to be temporary, this is the way it's got to be for the rest of my life...even after I get to a goal. I've read so many stories here of people who have made their goals and it sounds so easy. But until it "hit" me - I never would have been able to succeed as I have so far.

3) Many people can go on Weight Watchers, Body for Life, South Beach, etc and be able to stick with it. I realized I can't follow a specific, pre set diet plan - I felt too boxed in and controlled with Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, etc. I love food, it's a part of my life. I love meat, I love veggies. I love healthy foods, and not so healthy stuff too. If I don't feel satisified with what I eat, I will not be able to keep it up. I realized that I can eat a little of everything in moderation. That plan is working for me.

4) I have learned to fully accept that I can't live without exercise. I have made it a part of my life at least 5 days a week. I work hard, challenge myself and have learned to enjoy watching my body change, and seeing what I can do. I was a member of a gym for years but realized it wasn't the place for me. I went "gym shopping" and found a place that I feel good about walking into each day and I love it. It's a part of my life. I reward myself with things like new running shoes, a new headband, a new water bottle, a couple new workout songs downloaded from itunes, new no-show socks. Those things excite and motivate me.

5) I've become a bit anti-social. It's been a somewhat solitary journey. I remember hearing Dr. Phil say something about if you want to change, you need to change your environment as well. And if that means not hanging out so much with girlfriends - because it's always a coffee/lunch/dinner/bar date - something that can distract me from my daily goals. I've tried the "buddy" system and it never worked for me because I haven't found someone with my exact situation/goals. And that's okay with me, but more and more I'm finding people who I can say - "hey instead of Starbucks, want to visit my gym with me?" That's why it's nice to visit 3FC and find all kinds of inspiration that way.

6) I've learned to be prepared. Weight loss/maintenance takes so much preparation. I have my gym bag. I pack it every night before bed with my work clothes, and have my workout clothes laid out. I literally wake up, get dressed, have my yogurt/vitamin and can be out the door. Anything that is a distraction can and will take me off course. My husband thinks I'm a bit crazy that as soon as we get in the house after I come home from work, I HAVE to pack my bag before I let myself have dinner. But he knows this is a major key to my success so far.

I feel so happy that I'm doing it. For everyone who is in limbo, falling on and off the wagon and feeling sad and depressed the way I was on Jan 1st 2008 - I wish I could make your realization moment happen the way it did for me. But it will happen, just don't ever stop thinking about your goals. Make small changes. I don't know how many times I've "started anew" all of a sudden and expected myself to do it all at once. Be good to yourself. Think about the way you treat your friends, your spouse, your pets...and treat yourself well. You're a good person and you deserve health and mobility.

I look forward to sharing with everyone in 2009 as we all move farther toward our goals and beyond!

girlie
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 AM   #2  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

Wow it sounds like you have done a lot of soul searching and really have things figured out! Good luck to you and congrats on your weight loss so far!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Hi Girlie girl! You sound like you are on the right path for life. Congrats on your successes.

I hate the big gyms, but when I was younger and lived in a large metro area (Aurora, CO), I found a great gym at my local hospital. It was a rehab gym (I found out about it because I was sent there for physical therapy), called a wellness center...but they also sold memberships to people who just wanted to work out and get or stay in shape. It was small and comfortable. The trainers help you with goals and technique and tracking your progress. You could pay for time with a nutritionist. I loved it. I wish there was a gym like that near me now, as it was fun to use the different equipement for strength training, plus they would be able to help me work out in spite of my physical restrictions. I'm glad you found one you liked.

Last edited by recidivist; 01-02-2009 at 05:50 AM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am really impressed to see how you have made exercise a part of your life like this. What a great idea to be prepared and just get up and go. I do this for my work life, why not for me. Good going girlie. Now YOU are the inspiration.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #5  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

It's really inspiring to hear how you're keeping yourself on track. Good luck! Not that you need it. And I'll see you somewhere at the finish line (although it technically never ends:P)
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #6  
Bacon Girlie

Beautiful Ace-
you're right. This is never gonna end. For real! I've had to realize that!

I wanted to share something that I forgot to put in the post --- in the past couple of months, people have actually come up to me at my gym. Strangers! And have said these things:

"You are just the cutest thing - you're like the Energizer Bunny!"
"Wow, how do you work out like that?"
"You're doing a great job, keep it up from one gym goer to another"

And during a couple of my 30-minute treadmill runs (I'm starting to run now), two people have given me thumbs up.

On Monday - and older man who is a regular came up to me when I got on my elliptical machine and said "I envy your endurance." WOW! Crazy! What a compliment! A few times a week I do these 65 minute elliptical interval sweat fests which I've worked up to and I get comments on that.

A big part of my journey that I've nearned with Bob Harper's book is being positive and being able to accept compliments. It's still very difficult. What do I say? Immediately, I start to think of something witty like "oh, well, if you were this fat, you'd work out this hard too". Some sort of self depricating thing. That dangerous stuff pops into my head sometimes. But instead I try to smile and say thank you, "It's taken me a while to work up to this. Just start small and make little challenges". A few of these ladies who spoke to me were new to the gym and were probably overwhelmed by what I've worked myself up to - and I realize that what I say at that moment can encourage and inspire them to keep coming back. I was very intimidated my first week at the gym - it's a huge place, with an approximate membership of 8000.

I think many of us have this really terrible, evil troll lurking inside of us that puts ourselves down. This little demon. And I'm trying hard to smash that thing and build myself up.

Thanks for your replies. I hope I can inspire someone here as I've been inspired.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Great post, Girlie! That's really the key, isn't it - figuring out what's key for *you.* Lots to think about, and so inspiring.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #8  
No description available.

Congrats, Girlie!! There is so much in your post that is just brilliant. If I could highlight it as it appears on all of our computers I would. A great read that sums up all the of points that are so important!

Losing the negative self-talk has been key for me too. I'm not perfect with it, and the negative thoughts still do slip in, but now I am aware of them and I squash them ASAP.

Preparation is another great point. Healthy food doesn't just mysteriously show up. Exercise clothes don't wash themselves. Being prepared keeps me doing the behaviors I need to do.

I just really love your whole post. I'm so happy for you that you are meeting your goals.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #9  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Very inspiring words that will help others too. all the best in 2009.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #10  
Surreality

Your post is very inspirational, thank you for sharing with us
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #11  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

good luck on your journey! I hope I see you post more!!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlie View Post
I think many of us have this really terrible, evil troll lurking inside of us that puts ourselves down. This little demon. And I'm trying hard to smash that thing and build myself up.

Thanks for your replies. I hope I can inspire someone here as I've been inspired.
You are inspiring!! Thanks!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #13  
Bacon Girlie

gina-
I've read your story in the past and you've been pretty darn inspiring to me!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Girlie, I loved reading this! You definitely have your stuff together!

I am finding that things are clicking in my own head too....I really don't know for sure what's different this time, but I just know it is!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote