3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Kind of OT but still weightloss related (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/159821-kind-ot-but-still-weightloss-related.html)

gymlee 12-31-2008 06:48 PM

Kind of OT but still weightloss related

Ok so I've been sick now for the past few weeks and every few days I seem to come up with new symptoms and the doctors can't really seem to figure out what's wrong with me. Most recently I can't seem to keep much of anything down and I'm getting kind of dehydrated. I try to push as much fluids as possible but it seems like it's not doing any good and if I put too much fluid in my belly I get sick from that too. I'm so weak that I can barely walk around the house let alone exercise and it's really frustrating because I finally got the motivation to do it and move through my fear of exercise and everything related to it. And the most alarming thing of all is I seem to be losing weight really fast. I've lost 3 pounds in 3 days which I'm sure isn't good because it's probably due to not eating and fluid loss.

I don't really know what the aim of this thread was but I felt like I needed to vent a little and I guess garner some support because I don't seem to understand what's going on with my body. And neither do the doctors. It's just a really unnerving and frustrating because all I want to do is be healthy enough to progress my weight loss the right way through diet and exercise. I mean I am happy to see the scale going down but what I don't like is that it is probably going down in not the safest fashion. :?: :stress:

JayEll 12-31-2008 08:53 PM

When did you last see your doctor about this? Have you had any tests? Did the doctor tell you to come back? Do you have a fever at all?

It sounds to me like some medical intervention would be in order.

Jay

gymlee 12-31-2008 09:44 PM

No fever right now thankfully. But I ended up in the emergency room on Sat night because I had pain in my belly in the lower right quadrent and they ran some blood work and did a CT of my abdomen and found that my appendix was ok but there were lymph nodes that were inflammed which who knows what that means? They said to come back if nausea, vomiting, pain, etc increased and to follow up with a general practitioner the problem is I just moved so I don't have a new doctor in the area. It's weird because this belly pain and nausea/vomiting this has occurred before and they could never seem to figure it out either. My appendix used to be cause for concern because it was enlarged but they never took it out. I haven't had a problem with this in over a year and it came following my little tonsilitis thing that became a tonsilitis thing plus fatigue and lack of appetite which lead me to think I was relapsing with mono but now this belly thing on top of it all is just weird to me. I don't understand what's going on and the docs don't seem to know either.

canadianwoman 01-01-2009 01:35 AM

Have you ever been checked out for gluten, peanut of other food allergies?

I am Celiac and what you describe sounds like my symptoms before I found out I had food allergies.

RN BSN 2009 01-01-2009 01:45 AM

I'd also check the celiac thing, it's commonly underdiagnosed, and recently have found that it's more common than we think. also maybe diverticulitis? gastroenteritis?

JayEll 01-01-2009 06:35 AM

Even though you've just moved, many areas have clinics that are available for drop-in. They aren't as expensive or rushed as ER tends to be. I'd say that you need to follow up on this, especially if you are getting dehydrated. That's a serious condition. I know it's New Year's Day--you may have to aim for tomorrow.

In the meantime, can you keep down clear chicken broth? Can you drink a little diluted Gatorade with your water? Keep trying. Don't be worried about weight loss and exercise--stay hydrated and find out what's wrong.

I agree that asking about celiac disease would be a good thing to do.

Jay

gymlee 01-01-2009 09:13 PM

I had never considered those options before. I read the paper work from the hospital and said it was possible mesenteric adenitis and I did some research to find it is potentially caused by several things including mononucleosis which kinda fits. I've had mono in the past and it was a really bad case and it actually took a few months for me to get over it. My friend who is a nurse says it is possible to relapse and putting all the pieces together it makes sense. I started off with a sore throat and swollen tonsils that the doctor thought might have been a case of tonsilitis and then it progressed to the nausea, vomiting, extreme fatigue, etc which didn't seem to be helped any by antibiotic I was put on. So things seem to be falling into place a little. I think I will still try and see about getting tested for food allergies though.

I have been able to keep down like chicken broth and rice and sprite, and have actually progressed a little to banana and plain waffles. I'm actually feeling a little better and my energy is perking up. I woke up today to weigh myself and I guess between eating and drinking and keeping down what I did yesterday I didn't really lose more than a couple tenths of a pound so I may be recovering a little since I'm actually holding on to something. :halffull: We'll see. Hopefully I'll be better soon.