Exercise and heart rate for senior women

• Are there any 60+ women out there who are not into being MS Macho, but acquiring a reasonable figure, taking into account genetic makeup as well as diet and activity? I am particularly interested in what kind of exercise you do! Thanks
  • Hi, Granny -

I began my serious weight loss efforts in January of 2000 at the age of 74. The program I followed was the Richard Simmons Foodmover and exercise video set titled "Blast Off the Pounds." This is a program of sensible eating and exercise. There is a lot of nutritional information included, plus encouragement. In a period of about 8 months I had dropped over 45 lbs., and I have maintained that loss for a year and a half now.

My biggest problem was portion control. My eyes were failing to judge properly the amount of food I was ingesting. A lifetime of unhealthy eating was a habit that was hard to break.

It was a struggle. It is still a struggle. But I fit into size 14/16, after years of being in a size 22/24. I am now a diet-controlled diabetic instead of a medically controlled diabetic. And I have been able to reduce the amount of blood pressure meds that I was on. I exercise but probably not as much as I should. I do like to walk, and I do the RS exercise videos at times.

As you know, losing weight becomes more difficult as we age. I suggest that youngsters do it while young. But it can be done by senior citizens. It is just that our metabolism slows down as we get older.

Any other questions I can answer? Good luck to you. One thing about you and me and others who have been in this life a while -- we are 'experienced dieters', we know what we should be doing. Now let's do it!!!
  • JoJoJo,

Thanks! You are an inspiration. I have been on Weightwatcher's for several years, and have maintained my weight loss. Sounds like I need to throw in some weight workouts. Good luck to you, you have done fantastically well. I am 11 years behind you, but you inspired me to keep going!

Granny2