Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Mother of the bride dress tight, wedding in 13 days!

x

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 06-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

How tight are we talking? I'd say continue on with WW and invest in a Spanx body briefer. They work wonders when things are a bit snug and they smooth everything nicely.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #3  
No description available.

Can you get it altered?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #4  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I'd suggest just upping your exercise and staying on plan as much as possible. Extra water and maybe some pushups.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #5  
=D

I know this is of minimal significance, but in the week leading up to the wedding stay away from sodium - and keep your water levels up.

Fluid retention may cause you to feel puffier (If that's the right word).
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I'd get a new dress that fits and sell the one too small to a consignment shop.

I've been in your situation before and there is NOTHING more uncomfortable than a garment too tight in the arms. It's not worth being miserable on such a special day. We have a consignment shop near us with 100's of beautiful (worn once or never at all) dresses for excellent prices. Look around tomorrow and see what you can find. (If money is an issue for not getting a better fit.)

There are very few people who are able to lose weight on demand. I've managed to lose many pounds in the last year, but if I depend on a certain number for a certain day it always backfires. Oh, and who's to say the next 5 pounds will come directly off your arms? If you're anything like me, it will be your boobs that take the next hit!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I'd suggest cutting out the salt and dairy if you really want to get rid of some water weight. Other option is look for another dress or get it altered..
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Even if you could lose 5 pounds by doing low carb or something, i think the arms may still be snug. Just because we lose, we can't chose to lose in a certain spot. Arms are the hardest I think.
I'd agree with either alterations or exchanges or consignment. The outfit sounds smashing, but being to snug there will be a real discomfort on a special day.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

the spanx is a great idea, and perhaps a meal replacement plan, like slim-fast.
Exercise will definately help- it's less likely you'll lose pounds as fast as you would normally, but you will lose inches quickly (I lost 2 inches off my belly with just two days of 15 minute recumbent biking).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #10  

If it's just a little snug, something like a spanx might do it. I also agree with nelie to cut out salt and drink lots of water to flush out any fluid retention.
bosoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #11  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I know the concern - there's nothing worse than a top that's tight across the shoulders, and even worse that there's not usually much you can do about it!

Since it sounds like it fits otherwise, and is only snug when you lift your arms, you might be able to get away with a spanx shirt that will help sleek things and make the top fabric slide more smoothly. (On the downside, sometimes the spandex shirts are constricting on their own - you may feel like you can't lift your arms because of it!) Here's the spanx brand version: http://www.spanx.com/product/index.j...ductId=3069441 but there's others available (Hopefully this is an "acceptable" link - if not, I apologize!) Obviously, this only works if it's a long-sleeved top, but I would assume it's got some sort of sleeve or it wouldn't constrict this way.

Also, this may sound silly, but have you tried just wearing the dress (or just the jacket) around home for an hour or so? Sometimes even the most rigid lace has more "give" to it than we realize - it may loosen enough with wear to be comfortable. (But that's not something you want to wait until the wedding to find out!) That's the reason even the best-fitted strapless dress ends up being tugged up all night - they stretch slightly with wear!

Good luck! Best advice has already been given - eat clean, "real" foods, minimize chemicals and salt, and lots of water! Frankly, even if you weren't trying to lose and just wanted to look best, you'll be well off for eating well and drinking lots for a couple weeks before the wedding!
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The dress sounds beautiful, but I would get another dress. There is nothing worse than wearing an uncomfortable dress and you will be in it for several hours and will be quite active. You might be able to get a really good buy on a dress since stores will be having big after Christmas sales.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #13  
No description available.

Congrats on the 5#! And, congrats on the upcoming wedding.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think it's wonderful how several answers on this thread turned out to be the ... well, right answer!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have heared the Spanx can work wonders. I think I would rather spend the money on Spanx than invest in a dress being altered that you may not wear again--or at least very often. You know, I don't think I would do a crash diet either. I think I would step up my exercise as well as fiber and water. Another thought too is going Vegan for a couple of weeks--or at least eating only whole foods.

AHHH..I see now you are updating your progress. I am so happy for you. How is the dress fitting?

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-13-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote