Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I do think that it probably simply is the mathematical effects of the "normal" or bell curve. Yes, if most women are a size 12, it also makes sense that most happy women are also a size 12.
I do not think that is what they are saying. They are saying that of women US size 12, a higher percentage are happy compared to the percentage of size 14 women who are happy.

It's hard to tell from the *articles* what the criteria was for "happiest," because they list different kinds of happiness / satisfaction for difference sizes. Presumable in the original study, all factors were rated for all sizes.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even so I think you still get a mathematical effect regarding how close to the average one is. There've been many studies that have shown that the the further a person is from norm on many measures, the more stress they have in their lives, and the less satisfaction, contentment and "happiness" they report. So, I would expect the size 10's and 14's to be happier than the size 8's and 16's, who would be happier than the 6's and 18's, who would be happier than the 4's and 20's etc.... The least happiest (overall, there will be exceptions in all sizes) would be the women at the furthest ends of the normal curve, the smallest and largest polled.

Whether a culture claims to value individuality or not, the further one is from the norm (in almost any way), the harder one's life generally is, and the more ways in which a person deviates from normal, the more extreme the effect.

For example, there have been studies, that have found that "average" looking people report being "happier" than both very ugly and very beautiful people.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-31-2008 at 07:37 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #18  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Since Angie is a size 6 I can totally understand now how I make her happy 1/2 the time.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

I think this poll is really interesting. While I started this weight loss at a 14 -- post baby number 3, I have been a size 12 for the majority of my adult life. I am also a pretty darn happy, optimistic person.

So now I am a Size 4, and while I have not been maintaining it that long this time around, I did spend four years in my twenties maintaining Size 4 -- right before having my first baby -- so I do have some personal history to draw on.

The thing is, I think I may not be as "happy" at Size 4 as I am at Size 12. I find that I am more restless, and I noted the same thing last time I did this as well. I feel like I need to conquer the world or something, but all I am doing is sitting here. I KNOW it isn't true, I am doing lots of worthwhile things, but it feels like I am not living up to my potential. I also find that my relationships are more complicated -- with other women, but especially with men. I enjoy men and their company, but I have become more of an "object" apparently, and it is harder to have that same, comfortable relationship with many of them. I would not say I am, or was, a flirt, but I "get" men and know how to talk to them...but it is different now. While I have never felt a lack of male attention, now the level is frequently intensified past the level of "fun".

However, while my self-confidence has always been high, it is off the charts right now. I feel GOOD about my body and my energy...but that is not exactly the same thing as "happiness"...or at least it is not the same thing as being content. I find this feeling more satisfying, or I wouldn't have done this again, but, well, it is complicated. I am still happy...I pretty much live life happy...but happier? I can't stay that...it isn't that simple.

This has been really hard to put into words. I hope it makes some kind of sense...

Last edited by Schumeany; 01-01-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

It could be a lot of things. When I was a size six, I never thought twice about trying clothes on, or having trouble finding something that would fit. Like Schumeany mentioned, I felt like I could take on the world.

Almost more than anything, my body/body image is a thorn in my side. I rarely doubt my intellect, my love for others, my personallity, but I do doubt my body a lot now that I'm larger.

It seemed when I was smaller, everything aligned for me. I've always been incredibly dense when it came to male attention. A guy could be throwing himself at me and I'd never notice it. I will say I get treated better out and about in public at a smaller size.

I know that a lot of people will say that when they are smaller their life doesn't change much, they are just smaller. For me, it did change, a lot.

Although it was more difficult to maintain, I was more happier and much more confident at a smaller size. I've never been comfortable withmyself at a larger size. I didn't feel accepted by women or men...

I think it all depends on the definition of 'happiness', and our lives, our back grounds, our cultures.... this is a very interesting, thread though. Like someone said, it also depends on how they got to the size that they are, going up, size 12 is tough, going down it's angels singing a chorus while sunlight shines down on you. If it's never changed, then it's just as it is.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Goddess View Post
going up, size 12 is tough, going down it's angels singing a chorus while sunlight shines down on you. If it's never changed, then it's just as it is.
Haha, SO true!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote