Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #16  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Oh and by the way, my above msg was for JoyfulVegGirl (Jennifer?) but you made some excellent points too horsey!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #17  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Sidhe, have you had any contact with the Fat Acceptance (FA) movement? I'm not *at all* suggesting that you need to leave here if you're not totally committed to weightloss (I can see how this suggestion could come across that way, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to get on your case like that)...but you're describing an internal conflict that I think could benefit from some thoughtful discussion with others who feel similarly. I'd suggest checking out Kate Harding's Shapely Prose blog for some really great posts about defying the fat stereotypes.

I do sympathize as well, about SoCal. I'm from the Bay Area, but I have family near LA, and the abundance of skinny women who ALL LOOK THE SAME always got on my nerves when we'd go visit.

Anyway, I suppose it comes down to, which motivation holds a better outcome for you? Does holding onto excess weight in order to be able to deliberately defy a stereotype serve you well in the long run? Or does losing weight and no longer defying that stereotype, but perhaps being a little happier with yourself, serve you well in the long run? At least you're figuring out why your subconscious is holding back on the weightloss; lots of people never figure out why and constantly self-sabotage without being able to stop themselves.

Good luck on figuring out what you want.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Very thought-provoking thread. Here are some ideas off the top of my head... fortunately I've had some coffee.

1. Being different. Where I live, which is not SoCal I admit, everyone around me is overweight. OK, I lied--not everyone. Only 80%. Are you sure that you're not focusing on the thin women just like everyone else does? Maybe the fat people around you have become invisible? Take another look. You might also be focusing on young people. Are older people invisible too?

2. Fat acceptance. I used to buy in to the idea that it was OK to be obese, as long as one was "fit" and "happy." And why would I not? It meant I didn't have to change. It meant I could ignore what was really going on with my body, health, and so on, and continue to eat whatever I wanted. Well, that kinda works when you're younger than, say, 40--arbitrary age--but it stops working as time goes on. Blood pressure does begin to go up, joints start to wear, blood sugar becomes an issue. Things start to hurt--back, knees, feet. Limitations come up. Can you really climb all those stairs? Can you sit in that chair? So although it may seem OK now, it will likely not be OK later...

3. Defiance. It's good that you've realized that you want to stay fat to defy someone. Because really, doing anything to defy others, whether it's stay fat or stay thin, is not a proposition where you can win. Others are not living in your body...

OK, that's all at the moment. I hope you sort it out!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #19  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

In your area being overweight might make you different and unique, but where I live in south central Nebraska, being thin makes you different and unique. I blended into the crowd quite nicely 100 pounds ago, and pretty much still do, but I am approaching the danger zone. My problem was I didn't want to be different, I wanted to fit in.

When I moved here 20 years ago I was quite fit and received a lot of attention from men and women alike for being "different" much of it not welcome and rude. Though I had always struggled with my weight, I had just happened to be on the thinner side at that time. Well fat is excepted and very popular here and being a fat girl at heart I loved the freedom to eat and drink whatever I liked because..."Hey, everyone does it" and if I did it, I fit in better. I remember learning the meaning of *NE3* and thought...this is the place for me! What is there to do in Nebraska? Eat, drink and have sex...LOL

I had NEVER had BP, cholesterol or other weight related health problems. Matter of fact I was the poster child for fit & fat...BUT, it all came to a screeching halt at around age 41 when my BP pretty much shot up to 140/90 overnight. My Cholesterol went sky high and EVERYTHING hurt. I decided fitting in here (being fat) wasn't worth feeling like crud 24/7. I had to just come to terms that I can't care what people think of me. I have always been special and weight played no part in it. I love me best healthy and mobile. I hope you eventually live for yourself, and not society.

My point is I respect your need to be different, but your perfect health will not continue at an obese weight. Like smoking or excessive drinking there is a point when it's going to kill you if not controlled. Being different is great, but being different doesn't have to hurt...there are healthy ways to be different.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Not everyone will choose perfect health, and in fact most people will not (otherwise everyone would be eating the optimally nutritious diet, and running several marathons a year). McDonald's and Doritos aren't going out of business anytime soon. That is "OK," in the sense that no matter your choices, no one is going to stop you and you'll have to deal with the consequences.

Health, fitness, and even obesity all lie on a spectrum, and where you want to be on that spectrum is to some degree out of your control, but also largely choice. It's just as much a choice to the ideal weight, athlete or "health nut" as it is for the smoking, drinking couch potato (of any weight).

Most of us will stop somewhere in the middle. It's easy to say that being slender, active and athletic is much better than being overweight, lazy and sedentary. However it's harder to determine whether it's "better" for you to be a slightly overweight athlete or a slender sofa slug (besides those aren't your only two choices).

You always have the choice to improve (or stop improving) your food and exercise habits. YOU get to decide, when and where to stop and maintain - temporarily or permanently.

If you were slim, looked great despite eating horribly and not exercising, most folks in your life would not be telling you that you need to change your habits or they would kill you (even though it would still be true - the rates of diabetes and other "lifestyle illnesses are increasing even in average and underweight people).

Maybe you need to work on maintenance for a while before determining whether you do wish to further improve your eating or exercising (and whether that entails weight loss at this point).

You have choices, lots of them.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-09-2008 at 12:23 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhe View Post
If I CARED what they thought of me--if I CARED what society thought of me--if I LOVED myself, I'd change to meet their expectations.
There's a wide, wide world between 233 pounds and their expectations . And their expectations have a whole lot more to them than just weight. You could weigh 120 pounds, be fashionably underweight, and still be a total dork

I DO agree that if you're going to do it, you have to do it for yourself. If you haven't figured out why you would want to, then you're right, you're not ready. You'll gain back anything you lose, or be miserable maintaining it.

I really do get the pleasure of proving people wrong , but to use that to such an extreme - it really just proves how much you DO care what they think, not that you DON'T care. If you didn't care, their opinion wouldn't even be a factor.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

I can so relate!

I used to dye my hair neon pink... it wasn't pretty. My hair got fried from being so over-processed it looked like straw. It wasn't even a flattering color on me. Despite this..I didn't want to change my hair. Even though I knew I'd feel prettier and happier with hair that didn't look like a bad synthetic wig, I couldn't do it. I thought if I didn't have neon hair, no one would notice me. I'd be just another average looking girl who didn't stand out in anyway. I used the hair dye to cover up a lot of underlying self-esteem issues.

My hair and your 'fit and fat' body are not what make us interesting people. We are thinking, complex, intelligent human beings with personalities. THAT is what makes us noteworthy and unique- it has nothing to do with physical appearance. You're selling yourself short by saying that being fat but healthy is what makes you worth knowing. I'm sure there is SO much more to you than that!
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #23  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Awesome Hypra...well said!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I've been where you are but feel I have moved on from that place now. What makes me exceptional and different from other 'skinny' girls (I don't yet count myself as this yet) is that I have lost well over 100lbs. To be able to achieve that is truely amazing though I say so myself. Other than people on here where there are more than a handful of us, how many people do you personally know that have lost such a large amount of weight - I can think of only one other and I don't know if she managed to maintain her loss as she was a WW's buddy from about 5 years ago.

True, people meeting me for the first time will not know this but I know it and I know what determination and effort it took me to get to where I am and that is worth celebrating

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #25  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Wow Kitty, well said! That is awesome! I'm not sure what exactly in your little spiel there hit home for me but something did and that's great. I hope it does for other people too. And congrats on your weight loss!

And Hypra, I really liked a lot of what you said too. I really liked reading that perspective on things. It really opened my eyes and I hope it does for other people too!
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been thinking about this thread a lot and haven't been sure how to respond. It's really gotten me to think about the weight I've lost and why I did it. I apologize that this is really long and somewhat rambling ... but it sort of took off on me as I wrote it.

This is from my perspective, having been fat, currently being not-fat-but-not-skinny, and hoping some day to be skinny-but-fit.

70 lbs ago I was fat, but I didn't think I was ever unattractive. I took care of myself. I bought nice clothes. I went to the spa and got my eyebrows done and my bikini line waxed. I got my toes done every 2 weeks. I used creams and lotions and took care of my skin. I cut and coloured my hair. I never used "fat" as an excuse to not take care of myself or present myself well.

70 lbs ago I was healthy (according to most medical standards). I never had high blood pressure. I never had high cholesterol. I never had diabetes symptoms. Etc.

70 lbs ago I was reasonably in shape. Obviously now I'm more in shape, but even so, I work a fairly physical job and I was able to do that job and do it well.

70 lbs ago there wasn't any real reason that I felt like I needed to lose weight. I'd gone through the self-hate stage. I'd gone through the fat-acceptance stage. I'd gone through all those stages. And bottom line was, I was healthy, was attractive enough, and despite the occasional clothing shopping annoyance, I was happy enough with where I was. I had a fat best friend who shopped with me and ate with me, and did sort of half-hearted working out with me and we supported each other. I even had a boyfriend who found me perfectly attractive and sexy just as I was.

I was never miserable or unhappy or lonely - and certainly not because of my weight. I had friends, I did things, I loved my job I was perfectly happy.

If someone had tried to convince me to lose weight at that point, I honestly probably would have felt much the same as the OP. Why? What benefit would it have? What can being skinny give me that I don't already have? What additional happiness could I gain from being skinny?

And for everything that anyone could have told me, I would have had an answer.

You'll feel attractive for yourself. But I did then.
You'll be healthier. But I was healthy then.
You'll be in shape. But I was fairly fit then.
You'll be able to wear cute clothes. But I liked the clothes I had.

Case closed.

When I began to lose weight, it wasn't even a conscious decision to begin. I had started going to the gym to become stronger because it was getting harder and harder to recover from my weekend work. But I had no plan to lose. I just thought I'd build up some muscle to help me tote cameras around and such.

And I lost 70+ lbs.

And over the last 2 years I have realized that there are so many intangible things that have changed for the better because of that loss.

I feel SO much more attractive and comfortable with my body than I did before. (But I wouldn't have believed you, if you'd told me I would feel that much more attractive.)

I LOVE being able to go into any store in the mall and find something cute that fits. To wear things that cling to my hips and my waist (and holy ----! I have a waist!) and make me feel sexy. (But, I'd have said, I feel sexy now!)

And all the little things: I love to sit in a chair and not fill the whole seat. I get this thrill out of having space between my thighs and the arms of the chair to tuck my purse. I love not having to suck in and squeeze between chairs at the restaurant (not that sucking in did much good! ). I love not minding being the person to sit in the middle in the back of the car. I love being able to take a bath and submerge my whole body. I love that I can wrap a regular sized bath towel around me. I love that I'm ot afraid to wear a belt. And on and on.

But the biggest things that have made a difference ... and that I could never have understood 70 lbs ago:

I feel so much healthier. Not just that I am healthier ... but I FEEL like my body is this healthy, well tuned machine. I crave exercise and movement and I leave the gym and can feel the blood racing through my body and the muscles twitching and resettling and it feels ... GOOD. Damn it feels good.

The day after a workout I can feel all those muscles slightly sore and stretchy - and it's a good sore and it feels like I've used my body in the way it's meant to be used. It feels like I've done something good for me.

And when I get up in the morning and take a shower, I can see the muscles in my legs. I can feel the muscles in my arms and shoulders as I run the washcloth over them. I reach around to wash my back and ... I can REACH my back. I lift something down from the top shelf and I feel the muscles in my shoulders flex and I'm freakin' proud of that! I love that those muscles aren't hidden under layers of fat (well, not much! ) and that I can see them and others can see them.

Foods taste different to me and I relate differently to food. I still love rich creamy foods, cheesy foods, salty snacky foods, but I also have realized that they will always be there and I don't have to eat them like I'm deprived or like they'll go away tomorrow. And because of that I ENJOY them more. I had a 1/3 of a pumpkin scone from Starbucks today and I enjoyed it so much. Before I'd have scarfed it down and hardly tasted it ... but now I'm aware of what I'm eating and I LOVE food so much more now.

And all of these things are things that ... they're intangible. If you haven't felt them and don't know how good they feel, then you don't know what you're missing. I can tell you how fantastic I feel and how much I feel like my life has improved in hundreds of teeny-tiny small ways, but it's nothing that I can draw a line in the sand and say "before this, it was bad - now it's good".

It's kind of like ... I dunno. How do you describe a symphony to a deaf person? How do you explain what they're missing when they've never heard it to begin with? No, that's not even right. How do you describe music to a hearing person who has never heard music? They can hear ... there's nothing wrong with their hearing, but they've never experienced music. How can you explain how much richer their life would be for having music in it ... when they already have a satisfying life? What do you say when they say "eh, it doesn't matter ... I don't need music." How do you say "but you don't know what you're missing" ... and expect them to get it?

For those of us who have been fat for longer than we were ever slim and healthy ... or who have never been slim and healthy .. or who don't remember what it was like to be slim and healthy ... you simply can't explain what is so AMAZING about it. Because the words just aren't enough.

-------

The thing is (to the OP) you say that it gives you power and it delights you to "prove them wrong" about stereotyping you. But IMO, that just gives THEM more power over you. You're giving someone else the power to dictate that you stay fat, no differently than if you gave them the power to dictate that you lose weight.

Ultimately unless the decision you make is for you and SOLELY for you - to stay fat to lose weight whatever - then you are giving others power over you.

-------

Edited: I'm really sorry that this is such a novel. I started writing and stuff just started pouring out. I hope it makes some kind of sense to those to actually read the whole thing.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-11-2008 at 03:24 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post

The thing is (to the OP) you say that it gives you power and it delights you to "prove them wrong" about stereotyping you. But IMO, that just gives THEM more power over you. You're giving someone else the power to dictate that you stay fat, no differently than if you gave them the power to dictate that you lose weight.
I agree with this and wanted to add that if you're delighting in defying a stereotype (and I've been there in many different areas of my life!), you're still allowing other people's definitions and perceptions to rule you. You won't be what they expect, you'll be the opposite of what they expect. And that's as much of a box as anything else.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

PhotoChick, very well said.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #29  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

It's interesting how, when you're going through something, other people are going through a similar thing and you bump into each other.

When I started to get compliments about losing weight, I felt a lot of resistance to losing weight. I wanted to tell people to leave me alone, that I wasn't doing this for them. It felt like they were taking over, and I already do and give so much to others. My weight was my thing, my "vice," the thing that was mine. But if I HAVE to be fat in order to "own" whatever it is I have, then it isn't really mine, now is it? It's just something I claim is mine when the reality is that it's only an illusion of possession. If I really, truly laid claim to my own life and my own body, I should be able to be fat or thin, behaved or wild, unique or looking like everyone else, simply as a reflection of my own independent choices. If I end up wearing the same blue sweater as everyone else because I like the sweater, is that bad? If I have short hair and everyone else happens to want long hair, is that good? Or are those both simply a product of my own choices, and by claiming the right to make my own choices, is that what makes me unique and in charge of my own life?

For some reason, my brain is having a really difficult time with these concepts. It's like trying to think through quicksand.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi
If I really, truly laid claim to my own life and my own body, I should be able to be fat or thin, behaved or wild, unique or looking like everyone else, simply as a reflection of my own independent choices.
You are really on to something here!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote