OMG! my diet is working!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I started Dec 1st with 1600 calorie a day low fat diet along with Alli. Been exercising at the YMCA everyday with 1 hour (pretty slow though) on the eliptical every day so far.

Been keeping a food and diet journal and was going to weigh myself every Friday however I could not resist getting on the scale to see if I am losing any weight this morning (Thursday). I don't look or feel I have lost any but I have to admit I have been feeling pretty energetic since I started. Oh yeah and I have been making sure I get at least 8 hours sleep every night.

I got on the scale and it says I lost 6 pounds. Is that possible in 4 days? I mean I know what I weighed when I started and I know my scale is accurate.

I thought 1-2 pounds a week was normal. On one hand this really gives me hope but on the other hand maybe it is just water weight I am losing.

I want to lose 140 pounds and a few days ago I felt like I was at the bottom of a mountain looking up at the peak a LONG, LONG ways away! But now I feel like I am a tiny bit closer.

I know some of yall will think I am nuts for getting stoked only 4 days into my diet but I can't help it for the first time in a long time I feel like I have hope!
  • At the beginning of any weight loss journey, you drop weight faster...both some extra water weight, and extra fat because your body burns more calories just keeping you alive.

Also, people talk about how the first week is just "water weight", but honestly, that water weight is just as much a part of the "before" number on your scale as the fat, so I don't see the difference.

Bottom line - this is normal for the first week, you should anticipate it slowing down, but enjoy it and use it to power you through the weeks ahead!
  • the more you have to lose the quicker it will start off.

its normal to get a big loss the first week or so! well done!! x
  • GREAT FOR YOU!!! CELEBRATE!

I don't think you're crazy to be stoked at all because you have found a really healthy and LIVABLE method that works for you -- if you can do it one week you can do it another and another. AWESOME!
  • It's normal to lose a lot in your first week, and the more you weigh, the faster it generally comes off. You're doing wonderfully!
  • Ok, don't want to scare you here, but I want to be honest. The weight will come off VERY QUICKLY when you first start a diet. You're losing food that was in your belly, water weight and a bunch of other stuff that gives you rapid weight loss the first couple of weeks. It will slow down & settle into a pace depending on your intake. I just went back & checked my weight record and this is what I had... The first one is what I started at and then each weigh in afterwards.
    8/14/2008 231.00
    8/22/2008 220.00
    8/28/2008 218.00
    9/4/2008 214.00
    9/11/2008 210.00
    9/18/2008 210.00
    9/25/2008 205.00
    10/2/2008 204.00
    10/9/2008 203.00
    10/17/2008 201.00
    10/30/2008 199.00
    11/13/2008 196.00
    11/27/2008 193.00
    12/4/2008 194.00

I'm sure you can see the extreme loss I had the first couple of weeks, but it has settled into 1 sometimes 2 lbs a week since then. :-) Hope this helps. Stick with it, it will come off quicker then you think it will. pretty soon, you're realize you've lost 50 lbs already!
  • Congrats to you! Isn't that first loss amazing? I hope it inspires you to keep on keepin' on

We all know it's a long road, but the destination is worth every step.
  • I agree whole heartedly. Losing fast in the beginning is normal. I just came out of a 7 week plateau. I lost inches, but no weight. Then I lost 5 lbs the day before Thanksgiving....which is creeping back up.

Keeping that inspiration while stuck is really hard. I suggest getting measured....no, I didn't, but I kinda wish I had so I could see how far I have come in the last 3 months.

Good luck Girl !!!
  • It is so good that you have a realistic number in your head! Just remember that 1-2 pounds a week is actually an average...you are getting some of the fun quick loss first! (Sadly, it will slow down.)

This is perfectly normal, as others have said, just don't get used to it! (Enjoy however, the "quick start" can be very motivating.
  • Congratulations!
  • We were pretty close to the same size when we started and looking back at my journal I lost 9 pounds the first entire week (7 days). The second week I lost 5 & the 3rd week I lost 5 then it slowed down to 2-3 a week for several weeks. Enjoy the ride, it's a great trip! And who cares if it's water...water weighs and adds bulk to your body when you're retaining it...which happens to those of us who are carbohydrate lovers. Congratulations on becoming healthier.
  • Thanks everbody! Water or not it is still weight so I should be happy. I guess I'll just keep plugging away.

Had my first real test today. I am a full time musician and couldn't get home to fix my meals and had to eat out. It's really hard to fing stuff out that decent and low carolie.

I SHOULD have brought a cooler full of food with me! But I was lazy and didn't but I didn't eat to bad.

Ate a turkey sandwich at one place and a big salad at another. I'm home now so I can fix all three meals tomorrow.

I guess I'll just keep plugging along!

Boy do I have a long way to go!
  • You can take a long a little calorie book if you eat out, or a handy eating out guide. Some here in the past have suggested researching specific restaurants ahead of time and making plans. Or if you read the book Clean Diet there really are ideas on what to pack in a cooler for when you are away and want to bring your own food. A turkey sandwich and a salad wasn't bad!
  • Great Job!!! Yes, to lose a lot right off is normal and also a great way to get excited about a new diet. Keep up the hard work and it will pay off. I think keeping a food journal is great because it MAKES you be responsible for what goes in and exercise journals keep you responsible for what goes out!
  • Congrats...Congrats
    Quote: I started Dec 1st with 1600 calorie a day low fat diet along with Alli. Been exercising at the YMCA everyday with 1 hour (pretty slow though) on the eliptical every day so far.

I know some of yall will think I am nuts for getting stoked only 4 days into my diet but I can't help it for the first time in a long time I feel like I have hope!
    I'm so happy for you, keep it up. I'm starting Alli this week.