Not exactly a healthy way

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • to change my binge habits. When I used to get emotional I would turn to food. Right now I'm feeling really emotional and I have found that I can't bring myself to eat. I haven't eaten anything yet today, I don't have an appetite and I'm being really stubborn with myself. I just feel like crying right now. It has to do with the fact that my dad won't give me some money to buy a treadmill or another type of exercise machine. He says no because he doesn't believe I'm going to use it. I know it's selfish to be upset that he won't spend money on me.... but I can't help it I feel really hopeless right now and I can't make it stop.
  • Maybe you can start with a daily walk, or using WATP DVDs to show him that you are serious and will stick with it. You might even be able to make a deal with him - IF you can stick to an exercise plan for a specific period of time, he will help you buy a piece of equipment.

Also - look on Craig's list, and other places for used treadmills - good deals can sometimes be found - he might be more inclined to start with a used piece of equipment.

I sometimes see them available on Freecycle too. In fact there was a woman looking for an elliptical in our area - just today.

Do you have any rental stores in your area? Maybe he would help you rent one for a period of time - again showing that you WILL stick with it could help change his mind.

In any case, you CAN exercise without expensive equipment. I use WATP, dance DVDs, hand weights, a fitness ball, and stretchie bands - none were expensive and ALL are effective
  • Yeh, I was looking at the used exercise equipment in the area for about 200 dollars. I don't live with him so he doesn't really SEE how committed I am to all of this. I got a DVD but I don't feel like it's enough. I live in the country and i refuse to walk in front of my jerk neighbours, and then there's only highway left to walk on, which is too dangerous. I guess I'm just giving myself excuses for failure... i don't know... i will stick to the dvd and eating properly but i just feel i'ts not enough
  • I don't know your Dad, but keep a log of your exercise, and your weight. And, demonstrate your behavior change and new lifestyle when you do see him.

Maybe he would be willing to contribute toward exercise equipment for your birthday or Christmas?

If that doesn't work, revisit the topic regularly. If he sees the change in you, he may change his mind.

And - trust me - working out at home without a treadmill does work. If the video you are using isn't enough, supplement with others. You can even find good workout routines free online And - if you have cable TV, on demand has some good stuff too.

Most libraries have videos to check out as well.

I know you are disappointed, but don't let this setback get you down. There are many chickies around here (not just me) that have lost weight and gotten fit using just the basics.

• Thanks for your words of encouragement..
  • Hey!

First of all, you have to eat on your program whether you feel like it or not. Not more, but not less either.

Second, do you have a YMCA nearby? I agree with DisgruntledOne that you could ask your dad to pay for a 1-month or 3-month membership to the Y for you, and you could use lots of different equipment. Plus, you could take classes, etc. You could make a deal with him that it would be a trial membership to see whether you'll go.

If that doesn't appeal to you, I also agree with Counting Down that there are other ways to exercise besides a treadmill or walking outside. Walk Away The Pounds is a very popular DVD.

Don't let a setback like this throw you completely off course. There's a lot you can do without a treadmill in your house.

Jay
  • Well, the reason my neighbours are jerks is because I used to hang with their kids as a kid. Some of the choices i've made then, still seem to bother them. I know because I have a close relationship with one of the neighbours who has close relationships with the others and she's told me that they still hang it over my head. It doesn't help that I wrote one of them a polite letter asking them to keep their dog on a leash because it was coming into our yard and pooping and terrorizing our cats. As for a gym membership I'm not interested in that because I can't bring myself to do physical activity in front of people. I know by experience (going to a gym) that I absolutely hate it. I'm going to have to get some more dvd's I guess and settle with that.
  • and about the progress, i haven't measured yet, but the scale says I've lost 1.8 lbs. since tuesday or something close to that. I think I'm just over emotional today and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
  • thanks.. lol I think I just can't get over the fact that I'm a really proud peson, and my neighbourhood is so small I would have to walk back and forth in front of their house probably 15 times to make it a half hour walk... ahaha maybe I'll ask my mom to drive me into the next neighbourhood (since I refuse to walk on the highway) and then have her pick me up when I'm done walking. Or something I don't know....
  • Hi Beautiful, I know you say you dont like a gym. I use to be like you. I hated the gym. I felt like a fat idiot. Then I started going to Curves. I love it. All ladies and all are there for the same reason I am. I would love for you to try it. It would be a great pleasure to invite you to one free week at our facility in the shopping center on the corner of Trim and Innes. There would be no further commitment. Just one week so you can see what its like. Also the ladies there are VERY supportive. Let me know and I'll get you set up.
  • That, would be amazing.... I can't express how much it would mean to me if you did that for me...
  • What about doing something to earn the money? Rake leaves or something?

If it were me, I might be more upset about someone I love not believing in me than the actual money part.
  • Well I'm still job hunting, im sure sooner or later I'll get a job and be able to buy my own. And you're right.... it's a little upsetting. Me and him never did have a great relationship though so I guess to me it's normal that he wouldn't be that supportive.
  • Hey, you know that's not a bad idea. ahaha And yeh I guess I could see through his perspective. I was just a little upset because I thought that a machine would help me a lot, but I guess it's me who has to help me a lot not a machine.
  • I go in 12-2 today. I will find out how to get you set up. should be as simple as a phone call. let me just ask the manager and get back with you this afternoon.