3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Going to a party on a diet for the first time. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/156313-going-party-diet-first-time.html)

Beautiful Ace 11-13-2008 10:05 PM

Going to a party on a diet for the first time.

Any advice on how to stay out of the junk food.

Also, I know alcohol is a lot of calories, any suggestions on what to drink to limit that?

CountingDown 11-13-2008 10:15 PM

Eat a snack (healthy) before you go.
Look for the veggie tray - it is your friend
I like dry red wine - 4 oz = about 80 calories
Then see if you can get diet soda, or sparkling water.

I've been known to take Crystal Light packets and protein bars in my purse - just in case ;)

Beautiful Ace 11-13-2008 10:17 PM

Oh, red wine, better than the 64 + calories in one oz of vodka! jeez. I doubt there wil be a veggie tray, but they all know im dieting so ill just bring a baggie in my purse. And eat a healthy dinner before I go. Thanks:)

Beautiful Ace 11-13-2008 10:25 PM

Thanks:) I've had good willpower to stay away from junk thus far, hope I can keep it intoxicated!

mandalinn82 11-13-2008 10:28 PM

I always have rum and diet coke or vodka and club soda with lime. Both are good, and the mixers add no calories.

At home, I buy Baja Bob's sugar free mixes and make myself a little low-cal margarita or mai tai, but my friends don't stock them!

Beautiful Ace 11-13-2008 10:31 PM

Well Kim... I'm not actually counting calories, or following any kind of diet or anything... I want to but I don't have money to do something like WW and I don't know where to find HEALTHY diet plans online or anything, im so lost. I'm just eating smaller portions than before, a lot more fruits and veggies etc.

Kim K 11-13-2008 11:05 PM

Eating smaller portions and eating fruits and veggies sounds great! :) Even if you're not technically counting calories, just by eating smaller portions you are lowering how many calories you take in every day.

cfmama 11-14-2008 12:26 AM

I'm actually going to a party on saturday and have been thinking about my plan. I personally don't like to drink enough to spend my calories on it ;) But I'll be taking an oz of almonds and an all fruit bar with me to nibble on through the night. And my big jug of mint water.

Beautiful Ace 11-14-2008 12:31 AM

Mint water? Do tell!

cfmama 11-14-2008 02:57 AM

I just take an herbal mint tea bag (or about two tablespoons large leaf dried mint) and put it in my water bottle! Let it sit for about a half hour and you have delicious mint water :)

Tomato 11-14-2008 06:43 AM

You can also opt for a wine spritzer - wine mixed with club soda. Spritzers are typically associated with white wine but I like a red wine spritzer. That will dilute the calories even more and you can have more glasses. It depends how much you are into alcohol (sorry, not implying here you are a boozer) - I mean some people don't need to have booze at all - I would be a prime example of that, even at a party. Booze simply does not anything for me other than making me tipsy and sleepy in record time.

Nibble on the veggies and fruit; and remember - even if you dip into the less healthy food, life goes on and go back to plan the very next morning. Don't fall into the "all or nothing" trap. After all, it's a party, so enjoy yourself.
Have a great time!

jellydisney 11-14-2008 06:49 AM

Alternate alcoholic beverages with water. It'll slow you down, and you'll consume less liquid calories overall. Just be conscious of what your consuming, and eat/drink more slowly.

And like somebody said, it's a party! It's one day, so tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

Lori Bell 11-14-2008 09:46 AM

Parties are a piece of cake!! (bad joke!). Parties are fun and they don't have to be scary on a diet. Your hostess will adore you if you bring a fruit and/or veggie tray to add to the snack table. I guarantee you, it will get eaten. I take one to just about every party we go to, and it always get eaten. People really do like healthy food when given the choice. grapes, orange wedges, cauliflower, cucumber slices, strawberries...cheap and good.

It sounds like you already have your mind set on being "intoxicated". I hope you will rethink that. If you eat less, and drink as usual your hang-over will be MUCH worse. If you take the fruit tray I mentioned, and get a tall glass of club soda & ice, squeeze an orange slice in it and add a couple sliced strawberries, it is refreshing and delicious...and LOOKS like a mixed drink. Believe it or not, it *is* fun being the sober one at a party. Being in control is an awesome feeling.

paniania 11-14-2008 09:55 AM

My party strategy, silly as it may be, is to drink only champagne. It is about 80 calories a glass and it fills you up pretty quickly because of all the bubbles. You could also alternate one glass of champagne and one glass of seltzer with lime or something without being lame because a champagne buzz doesn't take much and lasts for a while (good grief do I sound like a lush :o even though I'm not).

Have fun!

grneyedmustang 11-14-2008 11:21 AM

Vodka & Diet coke or Rum and diet coke are my two drinks when I just have to have hard liquor. Usually, I just have wine and I'm okay though. As far as the food goes, the veggie tray is a good choice.