What Does Your Weight Loss / Fitness Program Look Like?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm asking because when I first decided to lose weight I didn't know what to do first. I talked to a friend of mine who said I should work on my eating habits first and then move onto a fitness routine. Well, I did that and it's going good so far.

I think that this thread can help those who are just starting out to pick and choose what he/she can do to get started. I noticed that since we started the Biggest Loser Challenge here at my job people have been coming to me asking me where they should start. My program may not work for others so maybe by looking at other peoples programs I can help some of my team mates.

I'll start. Here is my current program.

Diet:
    South Beach Diet

Fitness:
    Full Body Resistance Band Training by SparkPeople (3 times a week)
    Tim Horton's Power 90 Ab Workout - 100 crunches per day (everyday)
    30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (everyday)

Support:
    3FC Forums
    SparkPeople
    Fitness Magazine
    Personal journaling on paper
  • This is a nice idea, especially for those starting out (and those like me who are just curious about everyone else!)

Diet:
    Strict calorie counting, paired with a focus on lean proteins/less carbs/healthy fats - trying to eat really, really, really clean and lean like the doctor, bodybuilders and my trainer recommend.

Fitness:
    Personal trainer (2-3x weekly)
    Cardio (7x weekly)
    Boxing (whenever I have the urge)
    Cycling (always, try to use car as little as possible)

Support/Motivational:

Family and friends
    Gym friends
    Trainer
    3FC
    bodybuilders.com
    Daily Plate
    A local Biggest Loser's contest
  • Current program:

FOOD
    Calorie counting. Approximately 1400 calories per day, with 2 higher days a week. Focus on macros of 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat as close as I can.

FITNESS
    3 days of strength training, split body routines
    Jogging 3 miles 3x per week
    Putting the bike up for the season :wahhhh:, so will be doing 2-3 days of exercise DVDs instead.
    I really try to take one complete day off from exercise to let my muscles recuperate, but it's hard.

SUPPORT

3FC
    Reading blogs
    My hubby
    My sister, who is my running partner.

My new goal is to do a triathlon next year. I have one picked out for June, so I can think about my training program for that this winter.
  • Cool!

Diet:
    Calorie counting/cycling with a daily average of 1400. Shooting for (and usually come close to) 40/30/30. Mostly top tier foods - or "clean" foods.

Exercise:
    3-5 days a week for 30 minutes. Elliptical, treadmill, or a work out video
    Crunches, jumping jacks, light weights, etc throughout the day when I think of it.

Support
    3FC
    The BF

Loss
    Average 1.7 lb a week
  • Diet:
    Weight Watchers at Home - I started my "eating habits" first, 3 weeks later I began exercise

Exercise:
    Cardio - 4 days a week
    Walk Away the Pounds
    Weight Watchers exercise video
    Whatever I have rented from Netflix - currently "Yoga for Dummies"
    Fit TV exercise program - free on Dish!
    Core/strengthening exercise - 3 days a week
    Ab program that I found in a WW magazine
    Sparkpeople program

Support
    3FC
    Family/DH/Friends

Loss
    Average 2.5 - 3.5 lb a week
  • Diet:
    20-25 carbohydrates per day; focus on proteins and greens (usually two salads with protein a day)

Fitness:
    Elliptical for 50 minutes average: 5 days/week (upping this to 55 next week!)
    Kickboxing: Tuesdays
    Stepaerobics: Saturdays
    Strength training/tone + sculpting: 2.5 hours/week over three different days

Support
    3FC is the only one for me!
  • Fun -- It's great to see what works for others!

Diet:
    Calorie Counting - Vegetarian Lifestyle
    Concentrating on getting enough nutrients (protein, B12, Iron)

Fitness:
    Irish Dance (teaching/taking) 3-5 days a week
    Wii Fit when the mood strikes!
    Pilates 2-3 times/week
    Brisk Walks 2-3 times/week

Support:
    Boyfriend, Dance partners, my walking buddy, 3FC, The Daily Plate, and my "Eating buddy" lol (she tries new restaurants with me)
  • Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Eating clean/whole foods as much as I can
    ~1500 cals a day, macros at 40/35/25 as best I can

Fitness:
    Weights followed by ss-cardio 3x per week
    HIIT cardio 2x per week
    Something non-gym related 1x per week (DVD, sports, something)
    stretching and pushups/situps in the mornings

Support:
    family / friends
    here on 3FC

• Diet: None really. I'm watching my portions, not eating a bunch of junk, and I've stopped night-time snacking for the most part (still trying to control that). I'm trying to eat 3 meals a day with healthy snacks in between. I've found, in the past, if I go with calorie counting I get overwhelmed and give up pretty quick.

Fitness:
    I go to the YMCA 5 days a week where I do strength training and cardio. Trying to incorporate walking or something else on Saturdays.

Support:
    My husband
    This forum
    One of my very good friends who hits the Y with me

Question: For weight loss, is 5 days a week too much for strength training? The trainer I spoke with at the Y said it's fine as long as I feel my body can handle it.
  • Diet: strict calorie counting at 1750-1800 per day. Shooting for 50/30/20 macro's. Eating very clean. Focus on getting the most nutrients from my foods (and doing very well at it.) All lean protein, whole grains, tons of veggies and fruit

Fitness: walking, chasing day care kids all day, house cleaning

Support:
    fitday
    3FC
    my husband
    my sister
    my friends

Loss: 30 lbs in 32 days (started out at 376 lbs)
  • Eating Plan: (I am allergic to the word "diet", even in this case, when used properly... I'm a little compulsive)
    Calorie counting
    Emphasis on whole foods and COOKING AT HOME
    Tons of produce/volume for my calories
    Other goals I try to reach daily: 100% DV for Iron and Calcium, 35g fiber, 100 g protein.

Fitness:
    Cardio - 5-6x per week total. This typically includes 4 days steady state, one day HIIT, and if I do six days that week, one "random" day (something like a hike, or going rowing/canoeing, going to the roller rink, etc). I usually like one of those days to be a run, but my knees don't always allow that.

Strength - 2x per week, total body sessions. They last around 80 minutes and hit all of my major muscle groups. I change up the routine weekly to add weight or modify exercises.

Other - I try to fit in "bonus" workouts - Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, etc - in 20-30 min sessions 2 or 3 times a week. I also try to WALK wherever I am going if at all possible (to the grocery store, on shorter errands, etc)

Support:
    3FC, of course, particularly the Exercise Accountability and Maintainers areas. The No Excuses group we have going is so useful

My partner, who loves my healthy cooking and embraces our weekend exercise.

Several friends that I'll sometimes instant message to say "tell me I have to go on the elliptical now". They do.

Can I add a section?

Inspirations
    Jillian Michaels (LOVE her podcasts. Seriously).
    Michael Pollan and Barbara Kingsolver (both authors...wrote amazing books about the food chain, where our food comes from, etc that led me toward more whole foods eating)
    SO many members here - to name a few, Meg, Mel, Fiberlover, Glory...oh, the list goes on and on.
  • Tonja - You don't want to work the same muscle groups two days in a row. So lets say you work your shoulders one day. You can work your quads the next day, but you don't want to work your shoulders again. The reasoning is that your muscles, if they are being properly challenged, are actually being damaged a little...which is good, since it leads to muscle growth. But they need time to recover and build new muscle up before you challenge them again.

Honestly, the day after I lift, my muscles are SORE...sore enough that lifting the same muscles again is seriously uncomfortable. If you can go every day, maybe you need to start lifting heavier/changing up your exercises!
  • Food: Bistro MD + supplemental fruit and dairy (dietician figured out I needed more calories than the as-is plan. yay!) Bistro MD is the best thing EVER EVER EVER. I would take out a second mortgage if I needed to to keep going with it.

Exercise:
    cardio: 2 days of 1 hr medium pace run, 2 days 1 hr HIIT, 1 day 90 minute easy cardio (walking or elliptical or a dance DVD)
    strength: 2 days intense Ashtanga yoga (50 min classes)
    bonus exercise: house remodelling on weekends

Emotional/behavioral: Beck Diet Solution, Sensewear monitor, 3FC, a few weight loss blogs, my fabulous DH, and my mom, who lost 75 lbs and has kept it off for 5 years
  • Diet: Strict calorie counting. I've only started two weeks ago, so my daily calorie intake is around 1600. I try to keep it low fat, low carb, with lean meats. I also try to drink as much water as I can throughout the day. Lots of salads with lean meats, fruits and whole grains.

Fitness: I work out Monday through Friday and give myself the weekends off. Usually for about 45 minutes to an hour per day. I mix it up each day between cardio, pilates, and strength training ( i use free weights and a stability ball).

Support: My brother is trying to get into shape as well so we both keep each other on track. Sort of like a checks and balances system lol. My boyfriend is so supportive of me, he's awesome. And of course 3FC.
  • *bumping up to get more responses.