Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebritbrat17 View Post
At my school that I work at and I do have lunch duty to help out- I was shocked when a kid asked me if he could get up and get "extras" meaning extra food when they finish what's on their tray. I've asked several kids since then if they are even hungry and half the time they say no just that they just want more. And I've seen what is given portion wise and it seems to me like it would be enough for K-5 age children since that is what I strive to eat myself portion size wise. I didn't even get that when I was going to school having the option to get "extras". The healthiest option I have seen at my school where I work is a fruit cup and that's it. It was really surprising to me the lack of options for healthy food even now. Some of the posters suggestions and opinions sure were interesting and made me think a little bit.
Well, keep in mind that kids are growing. Teenagers, for instance, often eat more than adults because of their growth spurts and metabolisms. I remember my brother about ate everyone out of house and home when he was 13-18. Apparently, my husband did that to my MIL as well.

If you took a child, or a teenager to a dietician to have them lose weight, they would most likely come up with an eating plan that would have much more calories than an eating plan for a 170 pound 30 year old woman.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #47  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

When I was a kid, I could eat anything and not gain. It wasn't until college that I started to pack on the weight. By then, habits were set.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #48  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I disagree that the government shouldn't be involved in reversing the obesity epidemic. In fact, they already are involved in making the problem worse. Corn subsidies at taxpayer expense have made us a one-crop nation and flooded our groceries with high-fructose corn syrup. Not to mention, food industry and health insurance company lobbyists can spend far more to influence policy than advocates for public wellness, so guess whose interests control our "free market"? They're more than willing to sacrifice the health of this nation to increase their profit margins.

I see the following as areas in which the government could intervene:

Ending the corn subsidies, and putting some of that money into diversifying our food supply with a range of fruits and vegetables.

Regulation of advertising for fast food and sugary junk aimed at children

Accurate labeling of food products (organic, "0g trans fats", etc.)

Mandatory health insurance coverage of PREVENTION and WELLNESS visits (how about health care for all while we're at it - we'd save a ton of money on dealing with health problems that grow out of control, like diabetes.)

Subsidized gym memberships and community activities

Subsidized green grocers/farmers markets in low-income neighborhoods

I could go on. I agree that each person is responsible for maintaining their own health. However, we have SYSTEMIC problems in our society that an individual cannot address alone. It seems to me the government is aiding the food industry in sabotaging our collective efforts to be healthy. If we're okay with that, why the resistance to the government contributing to solutions?!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote