Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #46  
Need to get back on track

S/C/G: 230/224/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm just now realizing 1 tablespoon of pb is enough for 2 pieces of toast. I used to glop it on like there's no tomorrow, lol. Also when I'm craving chocolate, having 2 pieces of pb toast helps kill that craving too. But if it tempts you too much having it in the house and you can't control how much you eat... then yes get ridda it!
SandiSweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #47  
FB

So of course I tried making nut butter as well!

My recipe is vague: Dumped some almonds and cashews in the food processor. Added honey, processed it to a pulp for a long time.

YUM! 1298737 times better than peanut butter.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #48  

is it possible to blend nuts with only water?? since my bottle has only one ingredient peanut
myst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by myst View Post
is it possible to blend nuts with only water?? since my bottle has only one ingredient peanut
If your processor motor is strong enough, you don't need oil (from what I've read.) I found one recipe that stated if you process long enough the natural oils will release. The recipe said it'd take at least 10 mins. I haven't seen any recipes with water, although it couldn't hurt to try.

I imagine commercial peanut butter operations have equipment that is strong enough to release the oils.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-30-2008 at 12:25 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #50  

Well...I don't usually post on forums, but there's no better thread to start in than a peanut butter one, right? ;-)

I just have a cheap food processor, but often make peanut & other nut butters in it, no oil added. Just dry roast them (with the edible peanut husk still on for extra fibre), dump them in the food processor, & blend. For the first few minutes, it's slow going & you have to keep scraping the mutilated nuts down from the sides & from under the blades, but after maybe 10 minutes of this, you start seeing natural oils released & within about another 5 minutes, it becomes like a paste/goop. I guess you could add a little salt &/or sugar, but that's what I don't like about bought peanut butters (too salty/sweet), so I just leave it. I love it as an occasional thing on multigrain, whole wheat bread/toast, & it also goes great on banana. I'll have to try the apple thing someone mentioned (so sorry, I've forgotten who).

If I want crunchy nut butter, just reserve a few nuts (take the peanut husk off for this bit), roll them up in a clean tea-towel & take to them with a meat mallet till they're in small pieces. Then, just mix through the nut butter before refrigerating the lot. Crunchy or smooth, nut butters last a fair time in the fridge.

Hope that helps some. Happy experimenting :-)

And...I really admire you all. Congrats on your determination & losses, everyone.

Last edited by TinSoldier; 09-30-2008 at 12:53 AM.
TinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #51  

I like to eat the natural kind (such as Adams) or just ground peanuts (natural food stores and some regular supermarkets have nut grinders).

I also read somewhere ages ago that if you spread a generous amount of fat-free cream cheese on your bread and then just a touch of peanut butter, you'll get all the taste and creaminess but way less fat! And the peanut butter taste completely outweighs any of the cream cheese. I thought this was a great tip, if you're really trying to cut calories and fat but like the taste of peanut butter.

I do like peanut butter for the protein and the good fats. It always makes me feel like a kid when I eat it, too.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I successfully made mixed nut butter! It is so yummy. Really, someone ought to market this stuff.

I used 1/2c raw walnuts, 1/3c raw almonds, 1/3c dry roasted cashews (couldn't find raw), and 1/3c raw brazil nuts. I toasted the walnuts and almonds in the oven and left the brazil nuts raw. Then I processed all of them until they formed a nice paste and added just a smidge of salt and 1t honey. This batch came together in less then 5 mins. I think because the brazil nuts have so much fat in them. Nutritionally I like the mix, because you get Vitamin E, Omega-3s, and lots of Selenium.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oooh. That sounds good. I also read a recipe that calls for 1t of coconut oil, just to get the mix creamy. I just bought a huge container of pure pressed coconut oil for my body (but it's food grade), so I may try making nut butter with just a touch of that to help move things along.

Mmm. I think this weekend might be a nut butter weekend. My husband will get very sick of sandwiches!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote