3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Getting rid of "thin" clothes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/150978-getting-rid-thin-clothes.html)

Ufi 09-07-2008 01:56 PM

Getting rid of "thin" clothes

Have you (or did you before you reached your goal) gotten rid of or hung onto your "thin" or "thinner" clothes? I just wondered how keeping them/getting rid of them has affected your weight loss journey.

I've had some now that I've had for years. At the rate I'm losing, which is fine with me because I AM losing, it would take probably nine months to fit into the biggest of them, maybe 18 months or more to fit into the smallest, if ever. I tend to have more of a classic style, so I'm not worried that they'll be out of fashion.

This was prompted by the clutter discussion and "It's All Too Much," but I thought it would be good to get thoughts from people who don't have clutter issues, too. If I follow the book, then they're out of here because I'm not supposed to keep anything that doesn't fit me and I don't wear.

sprklemajik 09-07-2008 02:01 PM

I think if you're making progress towards them then keep them. I would however, get rid of the bigger clothes as soon as they aren't wearable.

Kofarq 09-07-2008 02:48 PM

I kept mine, and as I fit into them, I feel really proud that I kept them and saved the money. I do give away my too-bigs, though. I think that too-smalls count as goal clothes and NOT clutter. Getting rid of them would be like throwing money away, especially if they are classics.

JulieJ08 09-07-2008 02:51 PM

I keep some, but I think hard first about whether it's a "great" item or not. My standards have gone up ;).

prunellar 09-07-2008 04:52 PM

I have kept mine for years! Especially my favorite pair of jeans. I am very excited to one day get into those jeans. I feel more motivated now that you mention it! Maybe I will go find them and remind myself that I am capable of achieving my goals!!! I say keep them!!!

Viatre 09-07-2008 05:08 PM

I don't have many "thin" clothes. But I have one pair of jeans that I am not letting go until I can put them on easily. Then, they can hit the trash. But not until they fit me comfortably.

Iconised Ghost 09-07-2008 05:09 PM

I keep all of mine, but then im one of those people who never throws anything out! If i get to goal and find that i still dont wear them, then i might give them away

LakeEffectKid 09-07-2008 05:21 PM

I have kept all of my thin clothes, for sure. All of my clothes are "thin" clothes! I went away from home, put on a bunch of weight, and came back to a wardrobe that doesn't fit me. I find it really hard to buy "fat" clothes, personally. Any one else share that?

Findmyself 09-07-2008 05:27 PM

I kept EVERYTHING!! ...then I started on my new life style change... and I gave it all away ...except for about 5 pieces.

When I do get to my goal weight, I will probably not love my old clothes as I use to. I am 5 years older now, and even though I can't afford a new wardrobe, I will buy a little bit and fill my closet as I go along.

I kept a size 10 jeans (UK size) for inspiration and a few other things that I really loved when I was thin - But that is it. The lady I gave it to, will appreciate it a million times more than my closet.

One of the main reasons why I did it, is because I want to get all the clutter out of my life - I started with the clothes. :)

Chele615 09-07-2008 05:45 PM

I have never had "thin" clothes. I swear, growing up, I jumped straight from kids sizes to plus sizes. I have bought a couple things though that may not have fit when I purchased them, but I like trying them on every now and then and seeing them fit a bit more and more.

As long as the thin clothes are ones you would still feel comfortable wearing once you can get into them, that's definitely not clutter. If nothing else, it could be seen as a good motivator.

Ruthxxx 09-07-2008 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reminder. My "thin clothes" are from the 1980's and are in a trunk in the barn. I doubt I'll wear them even if I do get down a lot because they are pretty outdated. :lol: Maybe the mice have enjoyed them.

skinnyinsideout 09-07-2008 05:55 PM

I kept them and many are very out of style now - but it feels SO good to put them on and now they are too big. I can't believe they were ever a goal :). Of course like many women I have clothes from almost every size, so there are more thin clothes to work for, but it is very satisfying to "pass" through some on my weight loss journey!!

Bikini Dreader 09-07-2008 07:22 PM

I had a pair of jeans that sometimes got hung up for "inspiration". That pair was supposed to motivate me for 2 years. Then one day I went through my closet and gave the jeans away because I had started WW and just didnt want the guilt of my old life. I wanted it to be a new journey and I didnt want to feel bad about my old weight. So I gave them away. I set my goal weight higher than i was at the time and I thought having them there would just make me feel like I needed to lose more weight. Well I ended up getting down to that weight! even without the "motivation". I honestly think it helped not to ahve those jeans haunting me!

I say, get rid of them if they make you feel bad.

Ookpik 09-07-2008 07:52 PM

I kept a lot of old jeans and other pieces of clothing over the years that were too small, for "just in case". Some of it was 10 years old or more. I finally got into them, then gave them away as they too got too big. I cleaned out my drawers and closets recently and gave away a lot of stuff, save for a pair of size 22 jeans and my old uniform pants (size 52) to remind me how far I've come, and for "progress pics" that I post every now and then on Facebook. I recently gave away all my plus-size clothes...the feeling was indescribable.

I say yes, hold onto your smaller clothes, they might be a good motivator!

fiberlover 09-07-2008 07:59 PM

I didn't have any thin clothes! I was always fat LOL!

I do sometimes buy something that is a size smaller, as an incentive for myself, but I tend to just purge the closet periodically and get clothes at a consignment store.

Altari 09-07-2008 08:27 PM

I kept all my jeans from high school. They're plain, dark wash boot cut jeans, and will probably never go out of style.

Everything else I keep in a bin down in my basement, and go through it every time I shop for new clothes. I look at the pieces and decide if I will actually ever wear them again. If not, off to clothing recycling they go.

Pandora123a 09-07-2008 11:33 PM

I have clothes in all sizes...I'm in every closet in the house.

Last time I lost I gave away my big clothes and regretted it since I gained everything back within six months. This time I am storing them away until I maintain for six months!

I am gradually getting into smaller things, and am also pruning the things that I wouldn't wear again whether they fit me or not. (Even classic things have details which date them.)

PhotoChick 09-08-2008 12:00 AM

I gave away my boxes of "thin" clothes when we moved from our house (3 bed / 2 bath / full basement) to our townhouse (2 bed / 2 bath). That was about 4-ish years ago.

Part of me really regrets it because I used to work for a clothing manufacturer and I had some gorgeous, classic suits and blouses that I really really really wish I had back now.

But part of me realizes that decluttering my house and my life was part of the process that made me realize I needed to "declutter" my body as well.

So ... eh. Every now and then I miss the lovely sage silk suit I had in a size 10, but mostly I'm just glad that I'm back to that size now! :)

greeneggsandtam 09-08-2008 12:12 AM

I remember keeping some smaller jeans that never fit me correctly in the first place. They were too snug and made for women who are hourglassed not apple. Ugh. They were terrible. I have no earthly notion why I even bought them. I think I used to buy clothes too small in hopes I'd lose weight enough that they'd look good on me.

Annita 09-08-2008 01:15 AM

i keep my thin clothes to get motivate that i'll fit into them.
As long as you're making progress, i say keep them.
Although if you don't like the style, then no matter what size they are, volunteer it or throw it ^^

MBN 09-08-2008 06:49 AM

I had kept my favorite "thin" clothes (pre-kids) for probably 10 years, before I gave up, figured I'd never that thin again again and cleared them all out. I cycled between the next two sizes for quite a while. Then I hit an all time high weight, absolutely REFUSED to buy a bigger size and went on my most recent (and hopefully last!) weight loss adventure. Wouldn't you know, I managed to get down to that original thin size (and smaller) and had to replace my entire wardrobe!! Now, I've given away my FAT clothes!! If I gain weight again, I'll have to go naked.

Lori Bell 09-08-2008 02:56 PM

I've saved some thin clothes, like others mentioned...timeless suits and a few pair of jeans. My Mother used to buy me a new "suit" just about every time we went to KC to visit her. She passed away 16 years ago and I can not get rid of any of those suits. I have worn them all from time to time, but haven't been able to fit into any for at least 6 years. I look forward to wearing them again. They need a little update, like some new buttons and a new scarf, but otherwise beautiful.

NOW fat clothes. Maybe I should start a thread on that...LOL. Every time I have lost weight and got below a size 18 I have given them all away. Then everytime I gain it back, I have to buy new clothes. It sucks. I have only owned a few things that have actually "worn out" and I think that was because I split them trying to squeeze into clothes TOO TIGHT.

I got a huge box the other day, and it is now about full of a few size 30's, a few size 28's, a few 26's, a bunch of 24's, a few 22's and a couple 20W. When it's full it's going up to the attic. I hope I never have to get it down again, but I will not get rid of them, I know my past history and I can't count on myself. I've grown older and wiser and know I will never be perfect...I also have better things to spend my money on, and fat clothes it not one of them...LOL (now thin clothes is a different story :))

KLK 09-08-2008 03:05 PM

Me too! I've never, EVER bought a size smaller than a 12... ever. The day i can fit into a size 10, I think heaven will open up and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse will descend, just as I'm buttoning my new size 10 jeans...

I was always a fat kid, so you see pictures of me at like 10 or 11 years old wearing plus size adult clothes that look WAY too old for me bc I couldn't fit into the cute clothes all the other little girls would wear. (I still can't!)

If I had thin clothes and I was sure I would still like them in the future, I would hang onto them. OR at least sift through them to keep the ones I LOVE and get rid of the ones I were either lukewarm about or never really liked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chele615 (Post 2350928)
I have never had "thin" clothes. I swear, growing up, I jumped straight from kids sizes to plus sizes.

FB 09-08-2008 03:22 PM

When I moved from my apartment to living with my now-husband I just threw the thin clothes in boxes. When we moved from our first home to our second I again brought them along.

In the past when cleaning the attic, my husband would grumble about the clothes (maybe 7-8 large boxes). I'd reply that they'd fit me again someday and I swear he'd give me a knowing pitying look.

Well! After 7 years of marriage I showed him!

Just a few weeks ago we got them out, got rid of the outdated items and hung the classics in the closet. Yeah!

Fat clothes? I get rid of those constantly. In the past I had all sorts of sizes and I refuse to have baggy clothes that forgive a few pounds now. I know where that will lead me...

yoyonomoreinvegas 09-08-2008 03:45 PM

I'm like a lot of you. I hung on to an awful lot of my 'thin' clothes simply forever. I've just recently started weeding through them and donating the really outdated stuff (or actually things that still look pretty good but just don't go well with graying hair ;) that should give you a hint how long I've been hauling them around :lol: ). I do have several pairs of jeans that I plan to wear again and I came across a couple of sweaters that are pretty timeless. As for the 'big' clothes? In the past I always hung on to them "just in case" I gained the weight back. I think just knowing those big clothes were there tended to make me feel more relaxed about watching what I ate and contributed to my growing right back into them. This time, I'm getting rid of things the instant they get the slightest bit big. I want the threat of having to go to the store and buy bigger sizes again hanging over my head to keep me focused.

Wifey 09-09-2008 11:04 AM

We moved into an apartment about a year and a half ago and I decided to get rid of some "thin" clothes that I realized I would NEVER wear again...it was my "bar wear" from college and university. LOL

We just moved into our house less than 3 months ago and there was a bunch of other clothes I got rid of. Both DH and I did. It was a bit of a relief, we just had so many! I still have my 34" waist Tommy Hilfiger "goal jeans" in a container...I plan to fit into those again by early-mid next year! :wave:

lumifan4ever 09-09-2008 03:36 PM

I held onto alot of my "thin" clothes, planning to get back into them. I just think it would take me nearly 15 years to do it...so, you can imagine how out of date they must be. I found an upside and a downside to these clothes. The upside was the awesome feeling of fitting back into them. It was sooooo awesome to put something on that i haven't worn in 15 years and it fits!! But the down side was...realizing how sizes have changed. A pair of jeans that i fit into now in the juniors department (size 7) used to be a juniors size 11. Yup...that's right. It's changed by 2 sizes. Either that...or i'm just having an einstein moment...that although i weigh the same now as i did back then...my body has more bodyfat!!!!! WHAT????!!!! Maybe the sizes haven't changed THAT much but I have????

Okay...well..now that i feel totally deflated...back to the point...yes...i saved alot of my "thin" clothes (not realizing how long it would take me to get back in them)...and yes...it felt awesome to fit back in them.

yoyonomoreinvegas 09-09-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumifan4ever (Post 2353899)
I held onto alot of my "thin" clothes, planning to get back into them. I just think it would take me nearly 15 years to do it...so, you can imagine how out of date they must be. I found an upside and a downside to these clothes. The upside was the awesome feeling of fitting back into them. It was sooooo awesome to put something on that i haven't worn in 15 years and it fits!! But the down side was...realizing how sizes have changed. A pair of jeans that i fit into now in the juniors department (size 7) used to be a juniors size 11. Yup...that's right. It's changed by 2 sizes. Either that...or i'm just having an einstein moment...that although i weigh the same now as i did back then...my body has more bodyfat!!!!! WHAT????!!!! Maybe the sizes haven't changed THAT much but I have????

Okay...well..now that i feel totally deflated...back to the point...yes...i saved alot of my "thin" clothes (not realizing how long it would take me to get back in them)...and yes...it felt awesome to fit back in them.

No your body has not changed that much over the years :lol: You are absolutely right - sizes have changed big time. One of the (15 year old) pairs of jeans I'm still a good 2" away from getting back into says they are a size 10. The last box of "too big" stuff I donated were all size 10 - today I'm wearing 8s that fit perfectly - which means it looks like by the time I get into my old 10s I'll be wearing a *modern day* 6?. :shrug: Unless of course the specs have changed again for the fall season; in which case, by the time I reach my goal weight I could be a 2 :rofl:

thatgirl1024 09-09-2008 04:08 PM

I threw out pretty much all my thin clothes becase I was pissed off at how fat I got. Wish I would not have done that. Very immature!! LOL

lumifan4ever 09-09-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas (Post 2353929)
today I'm wearing 8s that fit perfectly - which means it looks like by the time I get into my old 10s I'll be wearing a *modern day* 6?. :shrug: Unless of course the specs have changed again for the fall season; in which case, by the time I reach my goal weight I could be a 2 :rofl:

Yes!!! I hear ya. I am currently a size 4 misses and i'm afraid by the time i reach my goal weight of 120...I'll be in like a size zero. And if i were to drop into the teens...what size will I be then??? a negative number??? Sizes are crazy these days!!!:dizzy:

Iconoclast at Large 09-09-2008 06:18 PM

The reason I don't throw anything out is because I am extraordinarily lazy.

That's kind of why I don't buy new clothes either. Too much effort.

So... Any clothes that are in my closet that I don't wear are because they're too small. Actually, since I have started losing, I have started moving back into the old clothes that didn't fit. I will probably get rid of the big clothes whenever my husband makes me clean the closet out. (This happens once every few years)

And, I did actually have to go to the store to get pants one size smaller because I'm travelling with my parents next month and didn't want to be too ratty!

asparagus4sale 09-11-2008 09:49 AM

I kept mine. I got pregnant when I was in Brazil for the summer so most of my clothes were at home and right before I left I had bought some really great pants. Well, by the time I got back I could not even fit into them so I have worn them like once or twice. I definitely kept them and I am determined to be able wear them again!

Ufi 09-14-2008 12:44 AM

Well, I've decided to compromise somewhat. I do a seasonal closet change-over in the fall and in the spring. I'm packing away anything that doesn't fit me this winter, right now. Come spring change-over, anything that doesn't fit me goes, including from the "back supplies." I may keep one top and one bottom or one dress of my smallest to compare in the future, but that's it.

Now is the time for me to lose weight and fit into these clothes. If not now, then I'm not hanging onto them indefinitely.

vixjean 09-14-2008 12:51 AM

Along the way, I had to get rid of a lot of thin clothes was donated to good will and my SIL. I saved a size 9 jeans, size 8 dress, and a size 4 jeans (just to know that I once wore those baby!) I did save a few things, that I plan to wear again, but a majority of things were donated. =(