Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #1  
carinna

Smile *WHY* do you want to lose weight?

I know it's probably a loaded question, but I just read earlier how some people don't feel comfortable admitting they want to lose weight to look good. Or to feel good about their appearance. They feel they should want to lose weight for health reasons only. Got me thinking.

So I'm curious......why are YOU losing weight? I'm doing it to look dayum good, that's why, and I've no problem saying it. Health reasons are just a bonus.

Are you losing for an event (ie. wedding), for health reasons, to feel more confident, to please yourself or your partner (hopefully not too many of these). Let's discuss.

carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

my MAIN reason I want to lose weight is for my appearance! I want to be that sexy beast I know I can be... haha
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #3  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I have no problem admitting that I'm losing weight because I want to look hot!

Becoming fitter and healthier is just a bonus to me
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadeybaby View Post
I have no problem admitting that I'm losing weight because I want to look hot!

Becoming fitter and healthier is just a bonus to me
Amen to that sistah!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

My number one reason is that I want to be a good example for my son. Second is that I want to look hot in a bathing suit, or anything for that matter!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, my health was an important motivator when I started. My big "click" moment was reading Superfoods Rx: 14 Foods That Can Save Your Life and realizing that I could use good foods to make me a healthier person.

But now that I'm maintaining, I'd say my biggest motivator is my closet of adorable size 6 clothes. I loooove picking out what I'm going to wear in the morning!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #7  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Um... wow I guess I'm in the minority! I want to get in shape and lose weight because I like to do physical stuff, and my extra pounds hold me back. Looking better is a bonus!

Last edited by Skullarix; 08-27-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Vanity plays a huge role It's not the only thing though, I would like to be able to do the things I used to do with no problem....like not thinking I'm about to die from exhaustion when I'm helping conduct research on alligators in the middle of the swamp. Being fast enough not to get injured by an animal is not a fat person ability either
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I'm approaching 40, and realized that I spent most of the first 40 years overweight and unable to do the stuff I really wanted. I'm getting rid of the weight so I can spend the the next 40 doing all the physical stuff I want to!!!

Oh...and being able to wear regular sized clothes and not have a hanging belly are on the list as well!!
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #10  

I like this thread. (I'm jumping back in after a about a year off. Nice to meet you all!) This is just what I ought to be thinking about tonight. I want to lose weight because I have a lot of cute clothes that don't fit me anymore and it makes me sad. I don't want to buy new clothes, okay I do...but I don't want to buy LARGER sizes! Plus, I just need to healthy up. I'm not getting any younger and I still have a lot I want to do.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #11  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

OK, gals, I'm never, ever going to look good in a bikini but I can look good in my outer clothing. So I guess my main motivation to lose weight is to be healthy and then to be able to buy nice clothes, especially on sale. I'd love to live to be a healthy 100 years old and the old fat me just wasn't going that route. I have no intention of bringing on preventable heart disease, diabetes and even some cancers by the way I eat. I realize that these diseases are not totally preventable in everyone and heredity plays a role but as the saying goes, "Heredity loads the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger." I think that the main motivation leads to secondary motivatons. Losing weight=promotes good health=new clothes=feeling better about appearances=confidence....and so on.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #12  

I have fibromyalgia and know that extra weight isn't not helping.
I also have other health issues that once the weight is gone it will make them easier to deal with.
poofiemittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

I have rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease). Any excess weight will increase my pain. I am almost 52 years old and work full time running my own business. I don't have time to hurt or miss any work. So, health is my number one reason.

There is no doubt that since I was 13 and puberty struck and the weight came on that vanity and a desire to look great in a bikini were my major goals. I was however, unable to maintain any significant weight loss for the last 35 years. Of course, having babies and getting degrees during this time did not help!
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Okay... I'm losing weight for a variety of reasons. The "main" reason rotates between what my brain feels at the moment.

The cute clothes I can wear is definitely part of the equation. But, so is being able to take stairs without huffing & puffing. To actually do anything physical, like walking & jogging... and enjoy it. I've always hated gym, and associated any exercise with "gym"... so being able to work past that has been great! The long-term health benefits mix in there as well, but seeing as I haven't experienced much of them I think that is something I'll grow into appreciating more as I become more wisened.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #15  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I want to lose weight for all of your reasons, and like Isabella, I won't be wearing a bikini, but by next summer I am going to Hawaii with a cute LITTLE swimsuit. I will be toned and fit and able to climb volcanos and swim with turtles.

My biggest reason though is that I feel so uncomfortable as a fat person. There are some positions I do not like to be found in...bending over makes one's caboose look huge and tieing my shoes was becoming a breathless chore. I love to garden and hauling around all this weight seriously decreases my motivation to get out there. I want to enjoy my life more.

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote