Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are some really great books and websites on frugal cooking, and ways to save money on groceries.

Many bulk veggies, like onions and potatoes are cheaper than buying per veggie. I tend not to buy bulk bags of fruit, as there often seems to be a higher percentage of bad pieces. Unless whole carrots are really cheap, I tend to buy baby carrots, because they're easier and I think taste better, at Walmart the price difference seems negligible, but in other stores it's often not worth it to buy the baby carrots because they're way too expensive in comparison to whole carrots.

That's one thing to consider as an overall tip - you pay for convenience. The "whole" is almost always cheaper than "parts." An exception is when some parts are less desireable you can save money by buying that part (bone-in chicken thighs and legs are a prime example). Anything that cooks fast or is instant, is likely to be more expensive than the slow-cook form.

For people without a lot of time, a crock pot can allow you to buy the slow cook version, without actually having to spend more time cooking.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I definitely don't think meat at Costco or Sam's is more expensive. I think it's MUCH less expensive -it's just tha tyou have to buy more of it at one time.

I can buy a whole pork loin cut for $35 - using my electric knife, I can cut that into 4 medium sized pork roasts PLUS about 10-12 1" thick loin chops. Those are then vacuum sealed (Foodsaver) and frozen. I can buy boneless/skinless chicken tenders for $2.49 lb (normally $5.99 lb at the grocery store or soemtimes $3.99 lb on sale) and also Foodsaver those in packets of 4 tenders. 5 lbs of extra lean ground beef is $2.19 lb (regularly $4.99 or more at the grocery store) and can be divided into 10 1/2lb packets to be frozen. Yeah, I might spend $150 on meat in a single shopping trip, but the meat I buy will last me a month or more once I divide it out and freeze it.

And the very cool thing is that my Costco and Sam's both - the butchers are right there, so if you want a custom cut, you can ask for it. I often get custom brisket cuts that I then take home and divide up and freeze as well.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #18  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

The wal-mart near me will match other grocery store's ad prices. I make my list and bring the sale papers with me. I save a lot this way. I almost never pay more than $2/lb for boneless skinless chicken breast because it's always on sale somewhere.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote