3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   incredible shrinking woman! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/149180-incredible-shrinking-woman.html)

cakses 08-15-2008 01:20 AM

incredible shrinking woman!

not weight unfortunately. apparently i have misjudged my height, for years lol. i am not 5'8" guess that was wishful thinking. it completely changed my bmi numbers and whatnot, a real wake up call. it was pretty funny though :o

UrsusMaritimus 08-15-2008 02:56 AM

I thought I was 5'6" for years, and then the doctor told me last year that I'm 5'5". Maybe we're shrinking?

Apple Cheeks 08-15-2008 03:20 AM

Hmmm.... I don't think it would bother me one bit to find out I was shorter than they've been telling me all these years.

But then again, I've got a lot to spare. ;)

BlondeAmbition08 08-15-2008 07:09 AM

But doesn't that depend on how you round the numbers? An inch isn't that short.

För example in centimeters, I know I'm 176,5. In inches that makes me 5'9'' (really 5' 9,488''), which means that someone who is really 1,25 centmeters shorter than me (an exact 5'9'') would be "the same height". :dizzy:

JayEll 08-15-2008 07:38 AM

Also, people shrink as they age--I used to be 5'4, now I'm 5'3. And, being overweight can "bring you down." ;) Compresses the discs in the spine. You might get taller as you lose... Now don't quote me on that! :lol:

Jay

cakses 08-15-2008 04:13 PM

I'm 28 I don't think it's age related hahaha!!!

JayEll 08-15-2008 06:31 PM

:rofl:

Jay

BlueToBlue 08-15-2008 08:21 PM

It could just be the precision of the person that measured your height. It also could be how good your posture was at the time your height was measured.

The height my doctor's office records for me changes every time I go in there, sometimes by more than an inch. Sometimes I can tell that the nurse measuring my height just isn't being very careful. Sometimes it is that I'm standing up straighter. Last time I was in, the nurse measured me at one in taller than I was three years ago. I wish I had grown but I suspect that it is just that I've been doing all this strength training and core exercises for three years and my posture has improved. Also, since I've realized that standing up straighter makes me taller (duh!) and puts me in a different BMI bracket, I pay a lot more attention to it when they measure my height. I make sure I back my heels up all the way against the wall, suck in my stomach, and stand up as straight as I can! An inch is an inch and I'll take it anyway I can get it. :lol:

cakses 08-16-2008 12:57 AM

hmm maybe i should re-try it then. it wasn't very accurate, i did it with a tape measurer and stood on carpeted floors and just marked with the pencil above my head LOL. next time i am at the doctor's i will have them check me, and probably they'll think i am crazy at 28 not knowing my height!!

Pandora123a 08-16-2008 01:26 AM

You aren't crazy. I always thought I was just under 5'4". Now I am in a research study and they did unbelieveably careful measurements. Turns out I am 5'4" and 1/4", I grew a half inch! (I believe them because every measurement was taken several times to insure accuracy. They made me stand in a particular place, feet just so etc. It was fascinating.)

BlueToBlue 08-16-2008 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakses (Post 2318721)
hmm maybe i should re-try it then. it wasn't very accurate, i did it with a tape measurer and stood on carpeted floors and just marked with the pencil above my head LOL. next time i am at the doctor's i will have them check me, and probably they'll think i am crazy at 28 not knowing my height!!

Carpeted floors could definitely cause your height measurement to be inaccurate. And it's really hard to measure your height yourself. Unless you are looking in a mirror when you do it (which causes problems as well, because you have to turn your head to look in the mirror), it's just too easy to accidentally tilt the pencil up or down.

I'm sure the nurse at my doctor's office thought I was nuts because I was more interested in my height measurement than my weight measurement. But, hey, I weigh myself everyday and I'm pretty confident of my scale's accuracy. Measuring my height is a whole different story...

WebRover 08-16-2008 08:02 PM

I'm not sure I was ever officially measured for height after Jr. High School. Since at 55 I'm the exact same height I was then (as measured at home by someone else), I wonder whether I wasn't at some point taller. I wish I'd insisted on being measured when I was in my mid-twenties.

In the meantime, whenever I'm not given the option of half inches, I round up. I used to round down.

Hart 08-17-2008 04:41 AM

i was 5ft9 now I'm 5ft8- measured 4 times!

Annita 08-17-2008 12:33 PM

inch isnt as accurate as cm I personally think.
I'm 171cm.
But in inches, there's place they tell me i'm 5'6, there's place they tell me i'm 5'7, there's even place they tell me i'm 5'8 o.0 So yeah... i'm not really relying in inches unless i have to >.<"