Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #1  
... fabulous!

Default Complete loss of focus.... HELP!!

Hello ladies (and gents)!

I've been lurking and posting here for a while now but an in need of some serious help... I'll start with some background info and then on to what my problem(or one of my many, many problems haha!) is.

Last fall or late summer someone challenged me that I couldn't drop some pounds. I've always been a big girl, but hadn't really noticed just how big I'd gotten. Being a fierce competitor, I began counting calories and exercising, but quickly into things, I had a big back injury. Physical exercise or even much movement became nearly impossible and extremely painful. Needless to say, I started at 256lbs (at 5'5" ) and by January was hovering around 205-210lbs with strictly counting calories. I spent two months on vacation abroad and with no way to cook my own meals I struggled... but still managed to stick around 200-205lbs by February. I've never been able to get back in the 'groove' since.

I'm now around 170 having been here for the past 3 months. I'm not really counting calories but I feel like I know what my calorie limit means in terms of what I eat day to day. I'm sticking to around 1200 cal/day which seems to be a very much maintenance point for me. No loss, no gain. I still have about 30lbs to lose but don't really think a 1000cal/day diet is too healthy. Some say pick up the exercise routine, but this isn't really an option for me. I'm young but am on the verge of getting complex back surgery in an attempt to correct some pretty debilitating problems. Walking for 5 minutes sometimes bring me to tears, biking feels like grinding nerves, and swimming is fine until I get out of the pool and it feels like I've died. I've been going to physical therapy 3 times a week for the past 9 months so this has included intense stretching and weight training. Between steroids, painkillers, and any one of the 20-some pills I take a day, I feel like pushing into a strict diet might be too much stress on the body.

I'm just lost. I need to get back on the weight loss wagon, but can't even find where to begin. I feel like I'm 'eating healthy' now with a diet rich in healthy proteins, fruits, veggies, and whole grains and very very low in processed foods and sweets but I'm not happy with the scale. I need lower numbers. I went from a size 22-24 and am now a 10 or 12 but still have obvious areas of fat. I've been working on strength training but there is still a good 30lbs to be lost in my eyes. I feel like it's normal to sink into a healthier lifestyle with a great exercise routine once you get to this point in weightloss but I can't really do that...

Help?

Anyone know of any good motivational books, blogs, or websites? I feel like I just need to get a swift kick in the butt to start back again.
ACivE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well... there's 3FC!

I'd say, get back to counting those calories using a calorie tracker of some kind. Increase your daily eating--at your weight, you shouldn't have to be down at 1200 to lose. You may be stalled. Increase protein, not carbs or fats.

Just a few thoughts!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

First off on your injury! And congrats on having lost so much weight already.
You might want to just maintain for a while, and focus on healing your back.

The other thing that struck me is that you don't really count calories, but you think you are around 1200. I would go ahead and actually count. Write down and see exactly where you are each day. It can be surprising at how little bits of food add up in the day, over time - portion distortion creeps in.

If you can't exercise, then the calorie part becomes even more critical to success.

And as for inspiration - check out the maintainers board. Those are some awesome people with amazing stories!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/174/135

Height: 5'4

If you're looking for a book to help, I recently looked into Extreme Fat Smash to jump start my weight loss since I've been at a plateau for about a month. I have about 20 more pounds that I would like to lose and this is a 3 week program for people with 15-30lbs to lose. . each week is different and you can repeat the 3 week rotation until you've lost the amount you want. I think the average is to lose 12-15 lbs within the first three weeks.

It seemed like a perfect plan for me because it details each meal out for you which makes planning easy!

Hope this helps!
lunabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #5  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Maybe you should calorie cycle to trick your body. If you're at exactly 1200 a day maybe it has adapted and you need to up it to 1400 some days and back down to 1200 other days. Plays a trick on your body and gets it to lose a bit quicker.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #6  
IP start June 11, 2014

Thumbs up

I feel for you with havinig and injury and not being able/wanting to move. Two months ago I fell of a horse going full tilt and messed myself up pretty bad. I actually decided at one point that I was just going to resign myself to sitting on the couch and that I didn't need to run, jump, swim, kayak for the rest of my life because "I was hurt". Then, I just figured that since I wasn't going to do those activities, I could eat what I wanted because who needs to be fit just to sit on the couch. I am young -you are young. After I stopped smoking crack and yanked myself back to reality, I realized that I have the rest of my life to live and I will not let myself slip into a debilitative state. Fight. Do whatever you can do at the time depending on your level of pain. Ask PT what you can do at home -I am in PT now too, but just for a smashed hand at this point -not a back injury which makes it more difficult. Maybe you do just need to let your body heal for a while and eat the best foods possible -only you would know. This is the first time I was really hurt -injuries put such a kink in your life. I can't image what pain you must be in with your back since you probably can't even breathe without being reminded of the incesant pain. Don't let it get the best of you. Let your character shine through. Dig your heels in. You have done such an amazing job already...it seems like you should be giving the advice
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote