Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sweetcaroline, there are many types of Buddhism, just like there are many types of Christianity, etc. So... This is just one suggestion:

What Makes You Not a Buddhist, by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse.

Here is a description: "With wit and irony, Khyentse urges readers to move beyond the superficial trappings of Buddhism straight to the heart of what the Buddha taught. He presents the fundamental tenets of Buddhism in simple language, using examples we can all relate to. And after he explains what makes you not a Buddhist, he kindly explains what a Buddhist is. --Shambhala Books

You can probably order this through Amazon if you can't find it locally. And a tip--if you go to Amazon from the link here on 3FC, then 3FC will benefit. Here's how to get there:

Simply click on the 'Store' button on the far right side of the purple menu bar on the top of this page (the 3FC forum page). There's also a 'Store' button on the far right of the purple bar on the Home Page. When you click it, you go to a 3FC store there or you can go directly to Amazon.com from the link on that page and buy any of their products. A portion of your purchase price comes back to 3FC but doesn't increase your price at all. What a great deal!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #17  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Thank you Jay, that will give me somewhere to start... I'm going to check with my library, but if I purchase, I'll use 3FC link... I didn't know about that and I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Today I want to keep in mind the origin of my foods. I want to acknowledge the many lives that support mine: Those who grow the foods, those who prepare them, those who sell them. And the foods themselves, derived from living things just like me. I want to remember the great chain of life that stretches through all beings and across time. And I want to remain a participant in that larger dance, as I buy, prepare, and eat my foods.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote