3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Can anyone explain high calorie needs for higher weight?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/148314-can-anyone-explain-high-calorie-needs-higher-weight.html)

RealCdn 08-05-2008 05:20 PM

Thanks ladies. It will be more impressive when I'm done, but it seems easier this time. Now, I like to cook/experiment, so along the way I'm creating new dishes for myself that I can continue to eat.

To answer the question about water - about 160oz a day, maybe even a little more. Partly this is because I have a tendency towards kidney stones and was told a long time ago that if I drink enough water to (TMI here) keep my urine fairly light in colour that I shouldn't have problems with them. Funny thing is that if (for whatever reason) I'm low on the water I can tell pretty fast. Try drinking when you first get up in the morning (as you should naturally be a little dehydrated from sleeping).

Because of the lifting I'm doing I do try and keep my protein levels up. I won't use today as an example as I've been baking (some of it high protein), but it's not a usual day. I can use yesterday as an example.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in 1 tsp butter, pecan raisin bread, jam, 3 clementines (357)
Morning snack: 2 fruit & nut squares (169)
Lunch: 2 whole wheat tortillas, 4 oz smoked turkey, 2 tsp mustard, 1 oz cheese blend <--- made into two wraps, peach, 2 plums (483)
Afternoon snack: 1 oz hummus, 4 oz carrots, protein shake (254)
Dinner: 7 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 can corn, 1 cup broccoli, 3/4 oz cheese blend <--- crockpot dish, 5 oz calico coleslaw (624)
Evening snack: protein shake with frozen peaches (278) <--- with a couple of ice cubes, like a chocolate/peach milkshake

I added in the portion sizes to show like BrandNewJen said, a portion is not always 4oz of meat. Although as PhotoChick said, the meal sounds good, but using a lot of oil (or salad dressing) can make a good meal suddenly a lot higher than you expected. Skipping meals is (for me) just not an option. You'll see that I space things out (that way I don't eat mindlessly). I don't follow any meal plans. I count calories (also paying attention to protein levels by choice), eating what I want. That's the big plus of calorie counting - flexibility.

Having said that, once you start counting calories you will find that suddenly things aren't necessarily worth the calories. I just sat down to a very filling snack of hummus and baby carrots. They were 119 calories for 5 oz of food. An ounce of potato chips... 153 cals. For me, not worth it. :)

RealCdn 08-05-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG B00TY (Post 2302352)
One of my problems has always been getting enough calories in. With changing how i eat when dieting, it is less calories so i end up having to eat MORE when dieting and it seems like im stuffin the heck out of myself and sometimes i just cant do it.. Does that make sense?

It depends on what kind of food you're eating. If you really are having a tough time getting the calories in.

2 Tb peanut butter = 200 cals
1 oz almonds = 164 cals
1 oz full-fat cheese = ~120 cals
2 hard-boiled eggs = 149 cals

They are all excellent sources of nutrition, although watch the portion sizes as you can easily overeat some of them. You don't need to be eating 2000 calories of lettuce you know. :D

Tomato 08-05-2008 06:22 PM

Big Booty,
I would like to add to Anne's last post that need to start reading the labels on everything. For example, peanut butter can vary wildly in the amount of calories. I remember a while ago I was looking at some PB at a healh food store and I was horrified by the number of calories (I don't remember the brands or amounts, as this was sometime in the spring). For example, my PB says 1 TB equals 80 calories.

BIG B00TY 08-05-2008 06:45 PM

Great posts girls, thank you!! I will pay closer attention to every little thing now.. But i dont use oil or anything when i cook.. I used to use that spray but then i got some good cookware where nothing sticks.. i just let meats make their own juices, same with veggies..

I managed to get down 60 ounces of water today! Maybe tomorrow i will do better!