Daily Water Intake

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Not sure where I should have posted this question, so I'll try here.

What is your average daily water intake?? I am curious to know if I am somewhat below, average or above.

Also, maybe mention your other beverages you drink through the day, but just give me the water intake amounts.

I drink two cups of coffee in the morning. Water the rest of the day, no other beverages of any kind.

Yesterday my water intake was 192 ounces! YIKES! hee hee.

I drink from a 24 ounce water bottle and constantly refill it all day long. I drank 8 of those bad boys yesterday.

Would love to know how I fit in with the rest of the water drinkers.

Thanks! gail
  • I drink one humangous mug of coffee each morning - I don't really go to Starbucks but let's say it would be their "grande" size - at least I assume that is their largest size, and sometimes I have another coffee at work (but I try not to). I drink decaf and very weak coffee - I am pretty sure most of you would spit it out in disgust. :-)

Water - I try hard to drink anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 litres of water a day. I usually drink more every other day (because I run on treadmill every other day) and it is easier to get the water into myself that day. So I guess I am averaging about 3 litres per day. I don't drink anything else, sometimes I buy Coke Zero on the weekend but again, I try to stay away from it.
  • Are there 33 ounces in a liter?? So I am guessing you drink about 100 ounces of water a day?? I'm lousy at math! hee hee
  • Quote: I drink one humangous mug of coffee each morning - I don't really go to Starbucks but let's say it would be their "grande" size - at least I assume that is their largest size
    (Venti is their largest size. It's 20 oz. Not that I'm an addict or anything )

I drink 24 oz. of coffee in the morning, and throughout the rest of the day I drink at minimum 64 oz. of plain water (sometimes flavored w/Crystal Light-type stuff), but I usually hit the 80 oz. mark by bedtime.

And speaking of Starbucks addiction, I do get an iced Venti Americano once a week or so. It's 4 shots of espresso in hot water with ice, so that's more water.
  • I try to drink 8 to 10 8-oz. glasses of water per day. That's what my doctor has recommended.

I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2 cups of tea during the day, 2 8-oz. glasses of half-seltzer-half-diet soda, and sometimes a tall iced coffee, unsweetened, from Starbucks. I tend to count these separately from my water intake, but some say that's not really necessary.

This isn't something where more is better. If you're getting the 64 to 80 ounces a day, you're doing fine. There is such a thing as drinking too much water.

Jay
  • Some days I drink more; some days I drink less. I try to pay attention to my thirst level and also to my, um output color. If it's light or even colorless then I'm drinking enough.

I'm w/Jay -- too much water can be a bad thing. 192 oz. in a day sounds like a whoooole lotta H2O to me!
  • Like Hat Trick, I don't have any absolute goals for water intake. Some days I drink a lot, and on other days much less. It depends on my thirst and my (as Hat Trick called it) output color.
  • Snope's take on the eight glasses a day rule: The "8-10 glasses of water per day" is a rule of thumb, not an absolute minimum, and not of all of our water intake need come in the form of drinking water.

Go to snopes web site and add this to the address: /medical/myths/8glasses.asp for the full story.
  • Quote: (Venti is their largest size. It's 20 oz. Not that I'm an addict or anything )
    Thanks, Caroline. This shows clearly how good I am at the Starbucks terminology.

So I guess I drink about 19 oz coffee in the morning, sometimes a bit more at work, and I am averaging 100 oz H2O (= 3 litres).
  • i drink 3.5-4 litres a day....
    guna try not too drink too much late at night...
    irritates the **** outta me getting up to pee!....
  • How can too much water be bad??? Just curious??
  • Too much water flushes out too much of the vital salts that the body needs to function. In 2002, a marathon runner who was only drinking water collapsed and died. The cause of death was hyponatremia, which means that her body ran out of sodium. Here's just one reference:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/6/6_1/1179.shtml

Sodium isn't the only salt that can get depleted--potassium is another one that's very important. These salts and others are called "electrolytes."

That's why athletes drink Gatorade or other electrolyte-replacement drinks.

Jay
  • Too much water can lead to water intoxication! I think it takes a whoole lot however.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Edit: looks like jayell beat me to it
  • If you drink too much water too quickly, you will drown... kcra.com/news/10775448/detail.html

I try to drink 64oz (8 x 8oz) per day.
  • Well since I am not an athelete and won't consume huge amounts of water in a short time, I think I am safe.