Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

Default I don't eat doughnuts and potato chips, Charlize

I'm watching an E! special about celebrity slim-downs and it's making me pretty peeved.

They're congratulating Jennifer Aniston for going from 130 lbs to 100 lbs. But that's just the tip of the iceburg. Every time they talk about someone who actually had a significant weight loss (like losing 50+ pounds), they act like all that person needed to do was stop eating cake all day and start eating fruit and vegetables. I don't eat cake all day. I can't remember the last time I ate cake. There is a gray area to eating incorrectly! I think I've consumed too many carbs from breads, cereal, pasta, white rice instead of brown, foods with white-enriched flour, not eating enough vegetables, drinking too much juice and diet soda, and eating late at night. But I do not eat candy, cookies, cakes all day and sit around wondering gee, what would happen if I ate an apple?

They said Charlize Theron gained weight for a role by eating potato chips and doughnuts. I don't eat those things either. Sigh.
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wouldn't pay any attention to what these reports say. Most of it is hype.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I guess if I had to put the weight on quickly for a movie role I would opt to eat something fattening, but I wasn't in a hurry to get the weight on and I'm not in a hurry to get it off. Dropping a significant amount of weight requires more than just passing on the chips (as you and I both know). It peeves me too that they pretend it's so easy.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Most TV is silly. Celebrity-dom is silly.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #5  

You know, I could lose the 100 pounds I want if I had a personal trainer and dietician, like the majority of them do... They can live in their world, I'll stay in mine If they want to think I eat doughnuts and potato chips all day, let them -- I'll keep thinking they eat nothing and party, etc. all the time.

Last edited by shelby897; 08-06-2008 at 11:29 AM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
You know, I could lose the 100 pounds I want if I had a personal trainer and dietician, like the majority of them do... They can live in their world, I'll stay in mine If they want to think I eat doughnuts and potato chips all day, let them -- I'll keep thinking they eat nothing and party, etc. all the time.
don't forget your own cook too!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You know, I have to admit I pretty much DID eat cake and cookies and potato chips all day long. LOL. See, I was perpetually "going on a diet starting Monday" (always the next Monday of course), so I was always in the mode of stuffing in the worst food I could think of because I was "giving it up soon". But the "giving it up" thing never actually happened, of course.

This was an excellent diet for a sumo wrestler, not so excellent for me.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-06-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I haven't read a single article where any celeb "pretended it was so easy" to lose weight.

I think about Matt Damon gaining weight, Russell Crowe, Charlize Theron, etc. They all say that they relaxed their regular healthy eating habits and intensive workouts (which for most celebs are pretty strict) and allowed themselves to eat things they don't normally eat. For some of them, that might be potato chips and donuts - and why would it piss you off if SHE found that eating those things made her gain weight. Just because she's saying that's what SHE did, doens't mean she's saying that's what every fat person does. Russell Crowe said that he gained weight for The Insider by eating hamburgers and drinking whiskey and cutting back on his workouts .. does that mean that he thinks every fat person eats hamburgers and drinks whiskey?

Aside from that, I've also read articles where the celebs that gained weight for their roles have then said that they busted a$$ to get back into shape for the next movie - cutting out everything but lean protein and veggies and putting in 3-4 hours a day with a trainer or at the gym.

As far as hiring trainers and so forth ... celebs spend money to keep them in shape to do their jobs - just like anyone else. Quite frankly I don't get all the resentment and anger about celebs. Their job is to entertain ... they choose the job and they take the steps to make sure they can do what they're paid money to do. It's no different for a celeb to hire a trainer and a dietitian to keep them in shape than it is for me to go to a workshop to learn about photographic lighting or a data programmer to take a training course on the latest system updates.

Honestly, this thread sounds like sour grapes to me.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 08-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
You know, I could lose the 100 pounds I want if I had a personal trainer and dietician, like the majority of them do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
don't forget your own cook too!
Ya know, I used to sit and watch Oprah with her personal trainers and her fancy gym equipment and her personal cook and think,"Not fair!!! If only I had those things, I could lose weight too."

And then I figured out that I did have a personal cook - ME. I mean, gosh I was the one doing the cooking anyway. I just wasn't cooking healthy foods. As for the personal trainer. Well, walking is cheap. So is a reistance band.

Like it or not, those celebs still have to do the hard work themselves. No one is doing the work for them. There still the ones resisting all that temptation and so on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #10  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Re: Oprah - You're right, Robin, but I do think having a personal chef who plans and cooks every meal for you AND someone who does the grocery shopping AND a trainer who plans and supervises your workouts probably does make things a bit easier.

Just my two cents.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Like it or not, those celebs still have to do the hard work themselves. No one is doing the work for them. There still the ones resisting all that temptation and so on.
Wise words from our VERY OWN 3FC CELEBRITY ROCKIN' ROBIN

she knows....she knows....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

And there's the big factor -- Oprah. Now, I love her. Don't get me wrong.

But she has all of those things. She could hire an entire restaurant just for herself and buy an entire gym just for herself and she still struggles with her weight constantly.

As for stars using things to gain weight, I think it's just that these people are on such strict programs that they're just relishing the chance to be really bad or something.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I know what you mean! The other day they said Jessica Alba lost her baby weight by cutting out butter and oil. Did she eat 30lbs worth of butter and oil while she was pregnant? I mean, they talk like it's so easy; like the general public is just sitting around eating crap (some people are, but those of us serious about losing weight have it down to a science). I wish I could cut something out and magically go to a size 2. But that's not possible.

But it's also frustrating b/c it's like, how much more do I need to cut out? I'm sure they are not telling the whole truth.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8

I think celebrities are told to make weightloss and being in shape seem easy. It's just another way to make sure that "regular" people become more fascinated by them. I was watching on VH1 "top beach bodies" or something like that and they were talking about Cameron Diaz and her fit bod. They quoted something she had once said that her secret to being in shape is sex. Then one of the personal trainers came on and basically said that there is no way to get a body like that without trying and just having sex. Cameron is on a strict diet and is constantly surfing and training blah blah blah.

RockinRobin did say it best though! "Like it or not, those celebs still have to do the hard work themselves. No one is doing the work for them. There still the ones resisting all that temptation and so on."

Last edited by tater tash; 08-06-2008 at 12:36 PM.
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #15  

I don't think anyone was saying celebrities didn't work hard to stay thin and in shape, I think the post was about stereotyping that "all overweight people eat cake and doughnuts". It didn't seem to me to be a bunch of us attacking celebs, just stereotypes. I don't resent them, I realize they work hard at what they do, just like the rest of us. To me, even if I could afford a personal chef, trainer, etc. it means nothing unless I'm ready to lose the weight. I spent six days a week at the YMCA busting my butt for a year and lost no weight because I wasn't ready to make the healthy food choices that needed to go along with it.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote