Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #16  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

This is all so discouraging but it sure as **** explains a lot!

I've been really careful about getting healthier things when I go out to eat, but it looks like that's not enough. Salmon and asparagus is highly caloric and fattening??!!! Wha? I guess now I have no choice but to research the nutritional information beforehand or just work the calorie overload into my plan somehow.

Crike.

Last edited by Ija; 07-29-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #17  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Insatiable, you'll appreciate this -- here are the ingredients for a grilled chicken breast from McDonalds. Not a sandwich, just the "chicken":

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates. CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_control...nts.index.html

I was in shock, just like you. Shouldn't chicken be ... chicken? It's just a frickin' chicken breast and it has 40 ingredients (if I counted right)?! That's insane!
Oh lordy, that's truly disgusting. Fortunately, most of the restaurants quoted in the article are not in Canada although I am not wearing any rose-tinted glasses thinking ours are better. I bet they are doing the same. Fortunately, I eat out only rarely, like when meeting friends or the occasional birthday celebration etc. I think I will never have McD's chicken again.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #18  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insatiable View Post
Also, another big shocker to me was the grocery store. I kid you not, you have to read EVERY label.
Amazing isn't it? It now takes me twice as long to grocery shop now because I have to spend so much time reading.

And the chicken? In restaurants it's never "just chicken". I used to work in the purchasing department of a hotel and my desk was next to the food buyer's desk - since meats are generally sold by the pound, wholesalers like to *plump* up their profits by injecting liquid "flavorings, color *enhancers* and preservatives" that add not just chemicals but weight to each of those chicken breasts - that's why they look so plump and juicy. General rule of thumb: the less per pound you are paying, the more stuff besides chicken you are probably getting. Of course, big chain restaurants are more concerned with the size of their bottom line than they are with the size of our bottoms so they are going to get the least expensive chicken they can find.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #19  
Struggler

S/C/G: 233/218/150?

Height: 5'4"

Mimi's Cafe has a Lifestyle menu that is supposedly a "healthier alternative" to their regular menu. This menu is broken into two (2) sections : Carb Conscious and Lower Fat. You should REALLY pay attention to these "healthier alternatives" before you choose.

Case in point : on the Carb Conscious menu they have listed .......

Two "AA" Large Eggs
Show Nutritional Information
Calories 415
Total Fat 32g
Saturated Fat 9g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 450mg
Sodium 667mg
Carbohydrate 5g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 3g
Protein 23g

If you look up 2 large eggs on sayyyyy NutriMirror, here's what ya get :
Nutrition Info
Eggs fried
2 large egg (92 gram or ml)
Calories 184
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 420 mg
Sodium 188 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g

On the NutriMirror side you have FRIED right there in your face (now, they don't specify IN WHAT, but at least it's listed as FRIED) & on the Mimi's info the method isn't listed, but you can presume it's the same -- FRIED. Now assuming all things are equal in nature, why is there a 231 calorie difference ? Why is there 18g difference in total fat ? Why is there a 479mg difference in sodium ?!!!

These are right there in your face comparisons (as far as one can glean, that is) & the difference is ASTOUNDING !!! I mean I'm glad they put this stuff out there for people to investigate -- my question is do they really THINK that this is HEALTHY ?!?!?

oooops forgot the linky !!

http://www.mimiscafe.com/menu.aspx?ID=25 Carb Conscious
http://www.mimiscafe.com/menu.aspx?ID=26 Lower Fat

Last edited by Mollikins; 07-29-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Mollikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #20  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

How about Panera bread - which touts it's 'all natural chicken' :
Quote:
Pepper mustard chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breast, water, spice, salt, potassium lactate, vinegar, rice starch, mustard flour, natural flavors)
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #21  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

More reason to eat at home. Oy!
Ok, you've convinced me.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a friend who gets the chicken wraps at Red Robin. I looked those up. One is 1500 calories, the other is 1200 calories. Now that is crazy.

For my normal order, I had been estimating it at 300 calories and it is actually around 250. I usually don't eat at Red Robin though because for what I get, it isn't worth the price. It is an easy place to go for us though when someone from work wants to go out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I am glad that I picked a good time for my weight loss journey- it's been so much better on the waist AND the budget!!!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

It's crazy! We try to make good healthy choices and even the choices we think are good...aren't always foods without tons of additives.

I ALWAYS am very particular about how I want something prepared now. I used to not be that way. The wait staff probably think I am a pain in the butt - but, it's the only way to get something done halfway healthy. I other day we went to Applebee's - I got a Weight Watcher meal that was suppose to come with steamed brocolli. It was covered in some kind of fat or butter. I suppose I could have eaten it...but, the cooks will never learn to do it right if they aren't called on it when they don't. So, I sent it back for steamed brocolli.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-29-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I LOVE Red Robin! Each time I go, i get the Ensenada platter, no sauces, no strips or cheese on salad, and I only eat one breast. Comes out to around 300 cals.
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
More reason to eat at home. Oy!
Ok, you've convinced me.

I'm sorry, I think this all just proves, once again, that there are NO healthy choices while dining out. Surely there are health-IER choices, but even those are by no means healthy.

I am very glad that I make eating out a rarity. It is something that I used to thoroughly enjoy. Now whenever I eat out, it's with the full knowledge that I "could be doing better". And therefore I just don't find it AS enjoyable.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #27  
Meg

This thread really got me thinking and I started a related thread in the Maintainers forum that everyone is welcome to join in: Restaurant Meals I put it in Maintainers because I'm wondering if any of our members reached their goals while eating out on a regular basis (like several times a week)? I'm genuinely curious whether it's possible to lose weight while frequently eating at restaurants or if the horrific calorie counts we've been discussing mean that eating out should be saved for very special occasions?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think it does depend on the restaurant you go to though. I wouldn't expect anything at Red Robin to be healthy, even if there are a few good low calorie options.

I go to a non chain chinese restaurant on a regular basis and I do find many of their options are healthy. They also have non healthy options which are clearly marked. Part of their selling point though is that they are a healthier option.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #29  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

There can be some good non-chain options around, depending on your area. For example, there is a place near where I used to live that lets you order your protein in ounces and as sides you can get a baked sweet potato or brown rice and some veggies. They partnered with a gym in the area and have healthy options but also serve very tasty stuff. Of course they are the rare exception.

Just in case anyone lives in Rockland county, NY: http://www.marigrills.com/apex.htm
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

happeningf, you're right--that Ensenada platter if you only eat it as you described is a good choice. Here's the breakdown:

http://www.redrobin.com/home/customizer.aspx

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote