<<<<<<< I'm Holding On Tight >>>>>>>>

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi...
    The last 6 weeks have been tough for me. Waking up exhausted with pain and dramatic swelling in my knees, ankles, feet and wrists everyday finally got me to the doctor. He did bloodwork and certain tests strongly suggest Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis or 'other' auto-immune or connective tissue disease and sent me to a Rheumatologist Needless to say, I was devastated. And within a few days my program was showing signs of weakening, I was slipping... I was going to work, coming home so tired and in pain, climbing on the couch with ice bags and going to sleep for hours...
    I was angry at the world... because I had just started to get into a good program that I was positive about, I was exercising and not whining about it... And NOW this ! The next several weeks are going consist of medical appts... so they can figure this out, I hate being a patient !

To make a long story kinda short...... I am back to most of my old habits... I continue to eat OFF program, trying to convince myself that I can have the no sugar added ice cream and baked potato chips... I know I can, but not the whole container or bag.. I've have gained 8 pounds back... I am a mess... The ONE thing I did manage to hang on to and stay true to; is this site... I am in here a lot !! and I swear it has saved me from going right back to ALL my old habits... I just keep reading and reading...
    Yesterday I woke up 'just knowing' I needed to stop the madness.. I must chose to get a strong body, a weak body will only make symptoms worse.. I felt strongly that I should try a more structured plan (currently counting cals).. (It was like taking your glasses off to clean them and saying to yourself, Geez, how was I seeing through those) Today I went to the library and picked up Fat Smasher book and started reading... Then read all I could here, and on-line.. I'm going to try it... I want to do this... I feel good about my decision and I'm going for it ! I'm hoping it will help with symptoms and give me some energy back so I can get moving again...
    WISH ME LUCK !! Thanks for reading...
    The smashing starts Friday !!
  • WOWSER !! I can empathize with the pain, but I can't say I've ever turned to food for comfort. So I can't offer any advice in THAT arena. Support ? That's something I can offer -- LOTS !

I AM glad that you came back here to vent & align your priorities and share your story !! The first step is always the hardest .... even if it's your 100th first step -- at least you're taking it ! YOU GO GURL !!!

If ya ever just need a monitor screen to vent at, just PM me ...... I'm a pretty good reader.
  • Don't let go, Caroline!!!
  • Caroline

I wish you lots of luck. You've taken the first step and you know what you have to do.

I hope the doctors are able to find out what is wrong with you.

If you have to have that ice cream get the WW English Toffee Bars.

Good luck, hope you feel better.
  • We're holding on with you Caroline.

I can't imagine the pain you are in. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. You know and I know that what we eat makes the biggest difference with our weights. So even if you cannot move the way you want, you can eat the way you need to. I'm glad you are sticking around. We are here for you through the hard times as well as the easy ones.
  • Hang in there, Caroline. My sister has had lupus for about 14 years - she went through some very rough spells but is doing VERY WELL now. Don't give up!

You are stronger than you know you are!
  • My dear SWEET-C

First of all I want you to know that I have already sent up prayers for you.

I can't begin to know what you are going through right now, but I can tell you that you will not go through this situation alone...as long as I and many others are here!

My sister has lupus so I can understand a little of what you are concerned about at this time. We have several people in our church that have rheumatoid arthritis and I know it isn't easy for them.

I really don't know what else to say at this time... sorry....but as I said, I will be here for you.... to the yankee's every chance I get
  • to Sweetcaroline...that's some tough you are getting hit with. Hold on, sweetie!!
  • Just wanted to welcome you and wish you the best of luck.
  • dont let go caroline

we are all here for you, life is a series of ups and downs, things can only get better x
  • Today is a new day. If you find yourself halfway through the chips or ice cream, adn you realize that you shoudl stop now... just stop.. you don't have to "wait and do better tomorrow"...every little bit counts.

:bighug: dealing with teh medical stuff!
  • Don't let the drs. scare you. Sometimes they don't know what it is or what's causing it, even after all the tests. That doesn't mean you're doomed!

A good food program can help you a lot! I'm so glad to hear you're going to get back on track! Please do.

Were you exercising before your swelling and pain problems? Were your shoes new, or really old and not too supportive? Just some thoughts.

Hang in there... Let us know how things are going...

Jay
  • Sorry you are having to go through this worrisome time. I know it would drive me straight to the ice cream freezer, but we both know it will not help. Being in the best physical condition will be the best thing you can do right now, I am praying that this is nothing serious and something that can be easily treated.
  • Hi Caroline,
    Don't give in to the temptations and stick to healthy heating. I hope the health issue was a false alarm but no matter off, you are always better off when eating clean versus junk. Hang in there, baby!
  • My goodness, thank you so much for your kindness and support... It means the world to me right now... I haven't shared any of this with my family yet... I've just remain out of sight. (location allows this)... and some dysfunctionality.. LOL... but I get on here and share parts of my life and sometimes forget the potential outreach this forum allows us... I am so grateful for that...

Since I joined this forum in March, I've felt a connection here like no other.
    Yes, the next couple of weeks are going to be tough, but I want to make good decisions and have clear communication with the doctors, and I can't do that filled with carbs and sugar... I am so much clearer off 'whites'...
    Anyway, I wanted to say Thank you and please stay tuned with me...

Making my Fat Smashing shopping list right now..... ....might be back with questions..