Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Default Wierd leg pains

I go see the doctor on tuesday for something else and I'm going to ask him then...just thought I'd ask all of you first.

For about the last 2 weeks I've been getting these odd leg pains. I'm going to try my best to describe them but I may fall short.

They happen in my outer thighs (both legs) in random spots. Usually last about 5 seconds or so and are very frequent, usually get about 3 or 4 a minute. The intensity on a scale of 0-10 IMO is about a 2 or 3. Not a cramp or a sharp pain, they feel more like a dull ache in that spot (kind of like how your muscle feels after -not during- a shot. Then they go away quickly and quietly.

Things I think might help:
  • I am currently (as of this morning) at 167 lbs. so still 32 lbs. overweight, but 33 lbs less than the 200 lbs. I started my life change at.
  • I do have spider veins (have had them since early 20s) but not varicose veins and they have never troubled me before (not saying that they aren't the culprit just that they've never bothered me in the past aside from their looks).
  • I bruise easily.
  • I am not pregnant.
  • I am not diabetic and do not have any other illness or disorder that I know of.
  • I am genetically predisposed to cancer. Basically all kinds, I've lost family to colon cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, leukemia, Hodgkin's lymphoma, non-Hodgkin's lympoma, brain tumors, melanoma, prostrate cancer...etc. You name it I've probably lost a sibling, parent, grandparent, or blood-related aunt or uncle to it. I must have annual complete physicals including mammogram and colonoscopy.
  • My only allergies consist of certain types of fungi including mold and mildew and all medications made from mold.

So...any ideas?
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm not going to be much help, but what kind of exercise are you doing? I've had lots of dull pains in my legs due to exercise. It sounds different than what you are describing though.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #3  

I'm doing basically everything except free weights, although not everything every day

treadmill, stationary bike, stairstepper, elliptical or just plain jogging for cardio
crunches, squats, lunges, leg lifts, and various machine weights for muscle building and toning
yoga for toning and flexibility
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Do they almost feel like little "sparks" or twinges? Do they occur frequently for five minutes or less and then go away for a while? I feel these after an intense cardio workout involving my legs (kickboxing, running, etc). I have no idea what they are, but I've always assumed they were a side effect of exercise.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm just doing the treadmill on an incline as fast as I can and getting really sore, achy, pains. I think I'm having some sciatic nerve issues in the one leg, but for me that is more toward the inside of the thigh. Not sure if that's where it shows up on everyone. I think the nerves can give sudden pains like that. Definitely something to ask your Dr. about.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsysunqueen View Post
Do they almost feel like little "sparks" or twinges? Do they occur frequently for five minutes or less and then go away for a while? I feel these after an intense cardio workout involving my legs (kickboxing, running, etc). I have no idea what they are, but I've always assumed they were a side effect of exercise.
I get those! I have no idea what they are. They only happen after excercise, and they feel like little twinges or pulses on my outer thighs. I also have spider veins (again, on the outer thighs) and bruise easily.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think you're probably overtraining. People should rest at least 1 day for every 2 or 3 days they work out--and you shouldn't work the same muscle group two days in a row. I'd also say, don't overdo the weight on your machines. Your muscles may be able to handle the weight, but tendons are another story. You could be stressing a tendon, and these are slow to heal.

So--take it easier on your workouts and lower your weights. That's what I would try, anyway. I'm no expert.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #8  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Don't know if this will help, but I get pain in my lower leg, on the outside front of the calf area. It's a dull, achy, deep pain, sometimes with a burning sensation. It's related to compressed discs in my low back and will go away with change in position, so, one thing to check is whether the pain you're having is going away on its own or is it because you're changing position or moving the leg or your back somehow. That's helpful for when you see the dr so he can pinpoint where the symptoms might be coming from.

Hope you find out what's causing it. Prayers for you.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsysunqueen View Post
Yes (to the twinges) and no to after working out. They actually seem to bother me most when I'm sitting still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I think you're probably overtraining. People should rest at least 1 day for every 2 or 3 days they work out--and you shouldn't work the same muscle group two days in a row. I'd also say, don't overdo the weight on your machines. Your muscles may be able to handle the weight, but tendons are another story. You could be stressing a tendon, and these are slow to heal.

So--take it easier on your workouts and lower your weights. That's what I would try, anyway. I'm no expert.

Jay
My weights are low and up until recently I was alternating weight/strength training and cardio days. My car is in the shop right now and a few other things going on really keeping me from getting to the gym so I've just been doing exercises at home. However, the twinges started while I was still alternating.

Ahh well, thank you all for the replies, I'm going to see if my doctor has anything to say when I see him next week.