New here - lost 20 lbs. but no inches

• Hi all,

I've lost 20 pounds by cutting calories and doing cardio and weights. However, I haven't really lost inches anywhere other than the stomach area. Hips, arms, thighs, etc. all measure the same. Sometimes I feel I look smaller, sometimes I feel I look the same. And I'm still in the size I was wearing before the weight loss (size 16 - I started at about 195 and am now 175).

When my doc and trainer weighs me I'm definitely losing fat (and have gained some lean mass too), so... How am I losing weight but not inches? Why do I still look like I did at 195? Is it possible to lose 20 pounds of water weight even if you are eating right and exercising?
  • First - Welcome to 3FC

Second - take a look at the paper towel theory here: Paper Towel Theory

20 pounds is awesome. If you know you are losing fat and increasing lean mass, that's even better. Believe that the difference will start to show up in the tape measure and clothing size soon. I think we usually start losing weight when we are at or near the peak of a size and must lose a whole size worth to shift down. You're doing great. congrats.
  • Yes, what WebRover said! And that analogy is great. Keep going--you'll notice more of a difference as you continue to lose.

Jay
  • Twenty pounds is great! I'd venture a guess that while you are in the same size but your clothes are fitting looser than they did 20 pounds ago. Is Don't discouraged! Lots of gals on this forum would love to lose inches from just their stomach area, me included! People are going to start to notice soon. You are on your way!

Pam
  • Thanks for the responses! The toilet paper analogy makes so much sense. It's still hard for me to believe that I lost 20 pounds and everything is the same except my stomach, but guess all I can do is wait and see. Maybe one day it'll all catch up and I'll drop lots of inches.
  • I've lost about 13 lbs. and can see a difference in my body overall, but I'm still wearing the same size as well. Don't worry, you'll get there!