Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Default large drop in Blood pressure w/weight loss

First off, I have made an appointment with my doctor but it is still several days away. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Pre-healthy diet at a weight of 333 lbs. my Blood Pressure ran around 140/85...top number too high, and the bottom number elevated, putting me into the prehypertention category.

With diet, my BP has steadily come down...but now it seems like it is too low, and I'm still morbidly obese. It averages around 100/60 (standing and sitting)for the last several weeks. I have experianced some dizziness the last few days, but I do experience lightheaded and dizziness during PMS which is now. (Up to 10 days before TOM.) At this rate it will be 20/10 at my goal weight...LOL Reading up on BP, there is a large discrepancy as to what is normal and/or too low. Some reputable sites say low Normal can be 90/60, and some pretty much say your about to die at that rate.

Has anyone experianced dramatically lowered BP after a significant weight loss?

I have a BP monitor at home that my husband tested against the Dr's. office a few months ago, so it should be accurate.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My BP has always been 100/60 or so. From my highest weight to now. It is perfectly normal for me. It is good to check with your doctor and they will alleviate any concerns about the low blood pressure.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would say, don't worry about that level of bp--although I am not a doctor or a health professional, so this is only my layperson's opinion.

Your body is in the process of adjusting to your weight loss. Your bp is not likely to keep on dropping. If you're getting proper nutrition and regular exercise of some kind, then things should be OK.

Just be careful when you stand up that you wait a moment to let your bp adjust before you start walking.

Of course, talk to your doctor about this. My bet is that he or she will be jumping up and down with delight over your weight loss and lower bp.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

I think you should start worrying if you become too lightheaded and dizzy frequently. Make sure to also take you pulse the normal heart rate at a rest is 60-100. If your heart rate is too high and blood pressure is too low then that's another problem to look out for because your heart would not be pumping blood adequately since your heart rate is so high it does not allow your heart to fill up with blood. I think you should go to the doctor and get an EKG, he/she will tell you if its normal or not.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #5  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I wouldnt worry too much unless it becomes a big problem. If you start getting dizzy or light headed during activity, times of high stress, or extreme heat i would talk to your physician. If it keeps dropping and stays low and you pass out or get tunnel vision alot ask for a tilt test. The may insicate an imbalance in your brain & heart. This is NOT dangerous and can be easily fixed with meds and a high sodium diet. Dont worry.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

My blood pressure was 120/70 when I weighed 261. Now that I weigh 157, it has gone as low as 88/58 (taken just before I donated blood--taken twice because the nurse thought she'd done it wrong). When I get up too fast, I get lightheaded so I do try to be careful about that. When I mentioned that to my doctor, she said "eat more salt." Okay!! My sister also has low blood pressure. I like to think of my low BP as a gift because despite losing weight and eating right, I still have high cholesterol so I'm hoping that evens any risk factors out.

Frankly, I don't think you need to be concerned, but just mention it to your physician the next time you have an appointment. And learn to get up slowly.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My blood pressure went down after losing weight and my doctor is delighted. I was taking 2 BP meds a day, my doctor has reduced this to one a day.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #8  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

my blood pressure has come down considerably, from 160/90 to 130/70, "ish"
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/154.4/149 (mini-goal)

Height: 5'4"

I take Benacor 40 mg. I've lost 16 pounds and my blood pressure is averaging around 98/70. Haven't been to the doctor yet, but I'm hoping she'll be able to lower my dose. Haven't felt any dizziness, though.
karen0117 is offline   Reply With Quote