Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Does anyone else not eat "meals"?

For the last few days I've been eating every 2-3 hours. I'll grab a cheese stick, cut up and bake some squash, eat a small bowl of regular instant oatmeal, a fruit bar, ect.... I have found this way of eating much more suitable to me, instead of waiting to eat a meal at a given time. I tend to wait too long to eat and pig out if I'm around a lot of food. I have no control. This way I pretty much never feel hungry, and I don't miss sitting down to a large plate of food. I know I am eating a lot less this way, and still getting in all the food groups, just not at one sitting.

Does anyone else prefer to spread out what they eat throughout the day and not eat traditional "meals"?

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #2  

I'm the same, mostly because in my case I don't like to cook, and don't like doing a lot of planning meals in advance. My house is stocked with things that are quick and portable like fruit and yogurt.
frieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I still eat "meals" because I'm sort of conditioned that way, but my meals are much smaller than they used to be and not what anyone might consider full meals (a protein, a veggie, a starch, dessert). I also eat 2 or 3 snacks a day.

So my daily schedule is something like this:
Breakfast: Coffee, yogurt w/ fruit
Snack: Fruit and cheese
Lunch: Protein and carb (usually rice and something or turkey and something)
Snack: Carb and protein
Postworkout snack: Protein
Dinner: Protein and veggie
Snack: fruit or sweet

It works much better for me to eat throughout the day, rather than to try to have 3 meals only.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

I eat every three hours or so. I tend to not overeat when I do this.
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #5  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

i don't eat full meal because i work two full times jobs, so i do yhe same grab a cheese stick, cut up and bake some squash, eat a small bowl of regular instant oatmeal, a fruit bar, ect
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I eat every 3 hours if not more often, but I still eat "meals" although they are much smaller in size than they used to be. For example, if the meal includes rice, I do measure 1/2 a cup (although I sometimes add a smidge more), or I would split a sweet potato and have only a half if it is bigger than what I think I should have, etc. I do need to eat sort of "normal" meals (e.g. I insist on a warm meal for lunch [although I usually eat it around 4 pm] as opposed to a sandwich or something else).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #7  
back to balance

Most days I have two "real" meals - breakfast and dinner - and smaller snacks throughout the day and evening. If I do have lunch, it tends to be either leftovers or a sandwich, but definitely smaller than either breakfast or dinner. Eating every 2-3 hours works great for me - I can't imagine surviving on three meals a day!
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

I usually have cereal with fruit for breakfast, then eat my lunch in two parts - 1/2 around 10:30 or so, take an hour walk in between during my lunch break, and eat the rest when I get back to work. I have an afternoon snack, like carrots or a nectarine, so I have energy to hit the gym after work. Then I have dinner when I get home!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #9  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I tend to eat 3 meals consistently, with a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack if I want one. My job doesn't lend itself to grazing throughout the day.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #10  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I use fit day and plan out three meals for the next day and a snack. I make sure I have all the required amounts of the four basic food groups while staying within some ranges I have set for myself of calories, fats and carbs. I don't eat the meals all at one time. I have a pre breakfast before my workout and then eat breakfast after my workout. I just break up the breakfast into two " meals ". I do the same before and after my workout at lunch time and before and after my workout at dinner time. There is always enough calories, carbs and fat for a snack later in the evening. I find I am never hungry this way and it takes me all day to eat enough to get those required amounts eaten in a day anyway.

For example
Pre breakfast might be
an apple

Then a workout

Then breakfast
2 slices light wheat Schwebel's bread
4 eggs whites scrambled with 1 oz jimmy deans 50% reduced fat sausage and 1/4 cup 2% milk mild cheddar cheese.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #11  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I tend to eat in small, frequent bursts, too, though I usually have a meal for dinner.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I do like to graze and it actually works very well for me. But if I'm having supper with my family (shift workers) I have to watch a little better because it will be more substantial.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

I think eating small and frequently is the only way to go. I say I have 5 - 6 feedings a day. Every time I eat I have a protein and a carb. The carb is usually not a starchy carb but a fruit or vegetable. Sometimes I add a lowfat
dairy.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #14  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Eating meals at set times is a social thing, developed over the years. It is certainly not natural, I can't imagine prehistoric man sitting down with prehistoric woman around the fire with all the little rocklets, for a six o'clock supper.

I'd say it's fine to eat when you want to, the main point is to maintain the calorie deficit.
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote