What are we really hungry for? Exercise 43 & 44

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Hi Lovelies!

I'm feeling a little "sick at heart" because I learned at the doctor's today, during the weigh-in, that I weigh 10 pounds more than I thought. That is, my home scales are off. I think I'm kind of in shock about it but I'm protecting myself from having a big sulk over it. I'm really concentrating on not collapsing into 'it's not fair--why bother' thinking. Even though it's tempting because I've tried so hard for so long! Grrr.....
  • Eydie Oh No.... I keep hearing all the cliche, It's only a number. But I know, to us it isn't. We use it to judge our progress and sometimes our worth.

I guess all I can suggest is what I would do. Wallow ( just a little ) and then get determined.

Come on, you can't let a "scale" ruin all the progress you have made. I know even if I do eating out of control or the wrong thing that I still have new and better thoughts traveling around in my head. Thoughts I have learned since starting this weight loss journey. So, hang in there with me???????
  • Yo, Edyie: I've faced that same situation in the past and the conclusion I've come to (after the obligatory gnashing of teeth and going through the 'I Give Up, Why Bother?' stage) is THE DOCTOR'S SCALE IS WRONG! Seriously, it doesn't matter what the doctor's scale says or your scale says. A scale is merely one measurement of progress (or time of the month or what you ate the night before). Over time, the scale can be your friend, but you need to give credence to only one scale at a time. Tell the doctor's staff you don't want to be weighed and report your weight or declare to them that you go by your scale at home, which weighs X number of pounds differently, so that when you step on, you simply translate it to your own figures. It doesn't matter what the doctor thinks you weigh, YOU KNOW what you weigh. Doctor's scales are often wrong also ... it's all relevant and you are the one in charge. Don't start mentally upping the weight you consider yourself at, please. That really WILL drive you nuts. Someday, when you are the size you like best in all the world, you can get decide whether to get a new scale or just stop weighing yourself altogether. Tell the doctor he needs a new scale and as LLB says, just hang in with all of us.

My effort to be less compulsive today was to assign calories from low salt V8 juice to an "all you want, don't write me down" category. I am in a healing mode and I needed the extra vitamins and pick-me-up. It went pretty well as I stuck only to the juice instead of candy. An experiment with a low-calorie "cherry cobbler" from the Richard Simmons cookbook went less well. The cake is low in calories, but I ate too much. Tomorrow is another day. I am also trying to substitute a mixture of skim milk powder, cold water and a little non-dairy vanilla coffee creamer powder to achieve the satisfaction I get from slimfast. It kind of works and is 80 calories less than the real thing. So I am high on calories but also high on satisfaction. An equitable trade.
  • Crone I just love your posts....."the doctors scale is wrong" is soooo perfect.

Also, I don't want to promote your addiction to vanilla however, I found a protein powder vanilla drink - from Science Labs - at Wal Mart and it is only 180 calories. Pretty sure that is less than Slim Fast.

I really like it. I always got chocolate whatever but after knowing of you and your addiction I gave the vanilla a try (usually only loved vanilla in candle form).

Onto the next thread with Exercise 45 & 46.
  • You know. the ironic thing is yesterday when I was being weighed I turned the other way and told the nurse that i didn't want to know and to please not say it, but during my appointment my doc casually mentioned it. Oh well, best laid plans and all that!
    Yeah, Crone, it's completely possible that their scales are wrong!
    I can't even allow myself to wallow at all--my brain has gone into protection mode and I'm not depressed over it, more stunned than anything else!

Thanks for the support and I'm looking forward to the next thread!