Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 185/171/150

Height: 5'8"

Smile Thanks everyone!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your stories and advice. I did order a dress in the same color that she chose but a different style. It really was my only option at this time. The worst part of this whole thing is that I won't be able to try a dress on until early July--that's the earliest they can ship. If I doesn't fit, I am SOL. It's from J. Crew and I think all of their clothes run a little boyish, no hips or boobs in anything.

I love the idea of a different color for the MOH, but the bride has seemingly vetoed that option. I will run it by her again though. I am not sure which is more important to her, the color or the style.

I do know about the matron/maid thing. It's kind of an in-joke with the two of us. We think matron sounds all schoolmarm-y.

Thanks again for the support. I feel so much better this morning. And most important, I am in a mental position to continue my weight loss plan.
Oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #17  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Which dress from J Crew? I originally chose a J Crew dress, but my MOH, who is on the heavy side, threw a fit because it did not fit her well.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 151/152/128

Height: 5'6

Giant hug from me! It's tough to have a day where you feel so down about yourself. I hope it gets better, and good luck on the journey that brought you to this site!
makeyourownplans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #19  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
I do know about the matron/maid thing. It's kind of an in-joke with the two of us. We think matron sounds all schoolmarm-y.
Hey, watch it kid, I'm a retired school marm!!! Nothing stodgy about me!

Last edited by retiredone; 05-10-2008 at 04:10 PM.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

wedding dress stuff always runs higher. I was in tears when I had to order one for my sisters and had to get a 28 and listen to them tell me that they would prob have to add fabric.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Which dress from J Crew? I originally chose a J Crew dress, but my MOH, who is on the heavy side, threw a fit because it did not fit her well.
It's the cotton cady strapless Claudine in clover. I ordered the Lydia.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Hey, watch it kid, I'm a retired school marm!!! Nothing stodgy about me!
Sorry
Old 05-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Wow, I just checked out your before and after pics and you look amazing. Congrats on your success.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #24  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Well, IMHO, I like the Lydia MUCH better anyway. I originally chose the embossed beach dress in white (a sash was to be added) and not only did it not fit her well AT ALL, but you could see right through it

I took my MOH shopping yesterday and we found her a dress that would A) distinguish her from the others and B) make her look damn good. After all, if she looks good, I look good, right? I'm glad you found something you are happy with! Thank you for your kind words

Last edited by junebug41; 05-11-2008 at 06:59 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I totally feel you here; although with me, I ordered the dress in a 26; I'm generally a 24/26 in everything, even OTHER dresses I have. Long story short, the dress doesn't fit....by FOURTEEN INCHES.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

You know, if she is dead set on that dress, maybe you can find a seamstress to make it for you in your size? I was curious and took a look at the dress online and it shouldn't be too difficult for a good seamstress to duplicate.
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi Gettin Thin View Post
You know, if she is dead set on that dress, maybe you can find a seamstress to make it for you in your size? I was curious and took a look at the dress online and it shouldn't be too difficult for a good seamstress to duplicate.
I thought about that and I think the real difficulty would be in the fabric. It's an unusual cotton in an unusual color. I just sent the bride an update on the dress order and I guess we'll see how it goes. Many of the smaller sizes are unavailable for a while as well, so I don't feel so alone in my gripes at this point. It's not just me holding up the process.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #28  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I'd be mega angry too!! You're the MAID OF HONOR for heaven's sakes!!! You're supposed to have SOME say in what kind of dresses are worn!

I mean, what's her plan?? Does she have some magical shrinking powder to feed you on the day of her wedding? Does she plan to just lop your breasts off so they fit?? Are you supposed to slice the dress down the sides and add LACING for heaven's sakes???

You cannot, in any way, fit into this dress. And that's how you need to say it. David's bridal has TONS of dresses for bigger women--- Tell her that you udnerstand she loves this one type of dress, but that it will be IMPOSSIBLE for you to wear it. Since you're the maid of honor, is it possible you could wear a slightly different dress to stand out because of your "higher position" in the pecking order?

I know some women who have had their MOH wear a totally diffferent color or style to make them "stand out"... an option, of course...
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Don't sweat the size 16, honestly...

My SIL wears a size 8 normally...and in a wedding dress needed a 12. That is just the way that most formal gowns from a wedding boutique run. Secondly, don't sweat the ugly bridesmaid gown. Seriously.

I have a theory about bridesmaid gowns. The whole purpose of the day, is to show off how stunning the bride is. This means she gets the gorgeous gown in the beautiful cut....and her friends get to look like lacy, frumpy, easter Peeps-complete with big bows on their behinds, and weeds stuck in their hair. (baby's breath)

In 2006 I was a bridesmaid in my SIL's wedding. I was 6 months pregnant at the time with a baby who ended up being a 9lb3oz baby a month EARLY. So, at 6 months pregnant, I looked like I was 8 months pregnant. I had to wear LAVENDAR. Lavendar looks horrible next to my hair and skin tone. Secondly, lavendar draped over my huge belly made me look like a walking EASTER EGG.

My other SIL, who was also a bridesmaid, was 5 months pregnant at the time-also in a big lavendar concoction. Someone should have tossed us both in an Easter Basket...

I don't think that brides in general really DO think much about their friends figures. They are worrying too much about their own, and about the flowers/cake/location/color scheme/invitations...and whether or not crazy Aunt Petunia going to make a scene at the wedding.

Don't take it personal, dear.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

aphil!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote