Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 367.6 / 353.6 / 240

Height: 5'9"

Default Pizza and hoagies and wings, oh my!

So, they're having a company lunch and almost everything is swimming in cheese! Literally, the only thing without cheese is the tiny amount of lettuce they brought to put on the Philly Cheese Steaks! Oh, and the hot wings!

There are days when I would kill for good hot wings!

Fortunately, these don't look all that good (or hot). So resisting them isn't too hard.

Yes, I could have a sandwich or slice of pizza (I'm on Weight Watchers Flex), but it's not worth the points. I'd still be hungry after just one slice or one sandwich -- and the cheese and oils are too intermingled with the meat, so removing it isn't really a valid choice.

I have some soup in my drawer, but explaining why I'm eating soup instead of gnoshing down is more info than I care to share with anyone here.

One person asked why I wasn't eating and I just said "I'm not eating cheese right now." He thinks I'm lactose intollerant -- which is okay with me. I think I'll just feign an errand and eat out where I can control the menu.

-------------

If any of you have advice on how to handle this in the future, I'd love to hear it (as long as the advice doesn't include telling people my private business).
buzzter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #2  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Hot wings are no problem for me but pizza I can not resist. When we have food brought in for everyone I usually take a slice, blot it and chow down, then eat some fruit afterward to fill me up. Maybe you can request some waist-friendly additions to the next party?

Stay strong -- you won't regret skipping the junk food!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Yeah I've straight up asked for healthier options at work events. You will likely find that others will appreciate you for this. Otherwise I say eat your own meal and just say you're not in the mood for pizza or wings (such a lie, how can you say no to a wing??)
Then make yourself some nice baked skinless wings when you get home. Really they're just as good baked and not fried and practically guiltfree!!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Sorry about the party food. Maybe next time you could bring your own sandwich or wings (made your way) or whatever is on the menu so at least the food on your plate will look similar to what everyone else is eating and less noticeable as different. And if your company has a suggestion box maybe you could suggest at the next lunch a fruit and/or vegetable tray be provided (no need to say why).
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

At various times I have said that I was feeling "a little off today" (as in sick) as an explanation as to why I wasn't eating whatever crappy food was around. This has been a good excuse because then nobody teases me or hassles me in any way. I hate being given a hard time for trying to make healthy choices, but groups don't like it when someone breaks from the herd and goes their own way...

Good for you for sticking to your healthy plan. Your body thanks you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 367.6 / 353.6 / 240

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, folks. I feigned an errand and went out for a chicken sandwich at Whataburger. Without oil and no mayo or cheese, it's just 7 Points and is quite filling.

This was an unusual party in that it was a baby shower for a guy and his wife. Personally, I dread the danged things -- shower or baby? I'll let you guess! ;-) Anyway, I gave a gift, wished them well and then split. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but "I just had to go to the Post Office!"

Maybe next time I'll bring my own stuff, but that just raises too many questions that I am unwilling to answer.

Oh well, life goes on. Thanks again for the useful advice.
buzzter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think we all have our own dietary choices to make. I stopped eating meat, dairy and eggs a while back. If I went to an event where the choices didn't fit into my eating plan, I'd either eat before going, bring my own stuff or leave early.

Recently I went to a family party, none of my relatives (other than immediate) know that I don't eat meat, cheese or other things any more. The party food basically consisted of items with meat and cheese in them. I knew ahead of time so I brought my own food, similar to the party food and made lunch for both my husband and myself. We both sat down with my relatives to eat and actually no one noticed what we were eating was different. In a family such as mine where meat is centric, I was dreading someone noticing and me having to answer questions about my food choices. It never came up though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #8  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I will usually bring in a salad and say that I "forgot" that the event was going on and.... well I didn't want to let the salad go bad, did I? So I would eat the salad with some FF Italian salad dressing (all 0 points!) and then say "Oh you know what? I'm still a little hungry" and have 1 slice of pizza or 1/2 of the sandwich If you know its coming up, all you need to do is plan, plan, plan. Also, you can use your flex points on days like these. Just plan them in!

Last edited by modkittn; 04-24-2008 at 02:59 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Same exact thing happened to me the other day. We had a company lunch, and they decided to cater with pizza and enormous chocolate chip cookies! Bleh! I left, and went to the cafeteria to pick up something healthier. Interestingly, there were several other people doing the same thing. I guess we all just have to be more vocal and demand healthy options at work!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

When I'm invited to parties, I bring a big salad or mixed fruit as my culinary contribution to the event. That way I can bring a dish to share with everyone, and I know I'll have something to eat!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Next time something like this comes up why not ask if you can bring something? That's what I do. Then I eat some of what I brought and then maybe have a little of something else.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote