Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5 feet verticaly challenged & loving it!

Default Getting really down :(

Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhh @#$#%$#%!@#!@! There I got that out lol.

I am sooooo stuck!!!! I've decided 12 days ago to totally change my lifestyle with food and exercise. For the first time ever, I want to lose weight. And have been totally commited solid for 12 days now.

Now I know what everyone is thinking, it's only been 12 days, and it takes time. But man, can't my scale just take away 1 pound! I'd be thrilled! lol Actually, I'm up 1 pound! uggggggggg. Believe me, I'm not expecting to be down 5 pounds but why did i go up?

I don't know why i am stuck here. I'm finally eating great. I've tweaked my eating habits with all the wonderful suggestions I've gotten here. I'm exercising everyday now (cardio 30 min and toning 10 min), where as before exercise consisted of walking to the kitchen to get a bowl of icecream. I went from 3 coffees with ex ex a day to using fat free cream and no more icecream or crap at all.

Mentally I'm SOOOOOO there and ready to do it. And think i am doing everything great. But i guess not Everyday i keep telling myself, this is muscle gain, it will happen soon, im rushing myself, read my encouragement letter. blah blah blah But i don't know how much longer i can work my butt off without even seeing a pound of diffrence.

Has this happened to anyone before when they first started? How long was it before you lost your first few pounds? I need a good slap of encouragment or a slap for being to anxious lol.
DebbieLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #2  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

I understand where you are, we've all been there! Honestly, the answer is probably in what you just told us - it's such a dramatic change for your body! Who can blame it for freaking out and holding onto whatever it can get? I promise if you keep it up the scale WILL GO DOWN. I don't know what plan you're following, but it might be worth just double checking to make sure you're being as on track as you think you are - for instance, inputting your foods into fitday or another tracker to see if the carbs/calories/fat/whatever is really where you think it is. That said, even if you're doing everything right, sometimes it just takes time, or there are medical issues that are keeping you from losing. In any case, what's really important is how much better you're treating your body now than you were before, and it WILL reward you for it.
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Okay - first 12 days isn't very long and there are just SO many reasons that your scale might be up - your period, salty food (I swear, the scale is up 3-4 lbs the day after I eat a "healthy" bol at Chipotle, the rice is salted so heavily!).

Suggestions:

* Get a good, true idea of what you are actually eating. Measure every bite/sip/lick that goes in your mouth. Be honest and truthful - when you're trying to lose weight, unaccounted for calories can make a difference.

* Keep doing what you're doing! Eat mindfully, move your body, get enough sleep!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I don't know if I can post a link but here goes...

nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm

This is the calorie calculator that will tell you how many calories you need a day to lose or gain weight. It include conclusions if you exercise or don't exercise etc.

You have to make sure you get enough calories too. It's a balancing act.
Too much we know what happens there. Too little may not have the desired results either.

and could it be a little PMS you never know that can make you stand still. Which once you lose that water weight you could have a 3-5 pound weight loss.
I had that happen after a week of being really good and exercising at least 3 times. Then bam got my period and the weight I thought I should have lost was gone.

Well good luck.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Not to make things worse, but it isn't muscle gain either. Muscle isn't gained in 12 days, unfortunately.

You say you've tweaked your eating habits. What does that mean exactly? What you need to do is create a calorie deficit. Take 7 days and account for every single bite on Fitday. Measure everything. See what you're really taking in. You can still gain weight on really healthy food if you're taking in too much. Real portion sizes can be a real shock when you first start.

The exercise will pay off in calories burned and muscle gained. Stick with it; you'll feel better way before it all shows up on the scale.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #6  

Hi all, I'm between 1200- 1500 calores a day. I've been counting with fitday, great site by the way.

I used to only eat once per day (dinner) then a late night bowl of icecream.

Now i eat a good fiber protien breakfast, then 2 small snacks then dinner then another snack. Snacks consist of fruit, humus, laughing cow cheese (yummy!) fat free yogurt, 98% fat free lein chicken breast or turkey fiber protein all the good stuff lol.

Yep i am on the last day of "aunt flow" lol. Maybe that's it. Let's hope!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Lots of gals lose a pound or two in a swoosh right after their periods.

Keep in touch. If there's tweaking to do ... 3FC is here for you!
Hey, that rhymes
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Normally I would think that after 12 days, a person would see some indication of their weight going down. However, in your case, since you only used to eat one meal a day, your metabolism may need a lot more time than a typical dieter. Your body isn't used to having food during the day. Now that you're giving it food, your system is probably in shock.

Keep up what you're doing and it will pay off. Definitely keep up with the exercise too, that should help your body adjust to the food it's getting.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Patience and perseverance are two of the hardest things about creating new lifestyle habits, which is what you are doing. You WILL lose weight, so keep up all the great changes you have made for your health. You WILL see and feel the difference if you stick with your plans!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

The very minute I start exercising, I start retaining water. I am not building muscle either. I think it is the water needed for what muscles I have to repair themselves from the unacustomed exercise.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 8"

Hang in there. It will get better, honest. I'm a former once a day eater too and (sorry, you might not like this part) it took me almost a month before I saw the scale move. I don't recommend this without talking to your doctor (I had the OK from mine) - but for me, I had to start out a little lower in calories and gradually eke them up over a period of a few weeks while my body adjusted to eating, not only more often, but better food too - I'd been eating such icky stuff for so long my body wanted to hold onto every shred of good stuff I put in it. I've said before (and will probably say again ) The hardest part of making this whole change is learning patience - It's kind of like when you were a kid waiting for Christmas. Just seemed like you were having to "be good" forever but suddenly it was Christmas morning and Santa really did show up So don't give up!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/165.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I know its hard to get easily discouraged. Thats part of what took me so long to get started. I always wanted to see immediate results. I had worked out consistently and watched what i ate for 3 weeks once, and nothing happened. I wasn't watching what was going on on the inside though...my digestion was better, i wasn't as bloated, i felt more energized and tried telling myself that muscle weighs more than fat! It'll come with time, you just have to stick to it. It takes a while for your body to adjust to its new routine and ways...
luckylettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

You know what's nice about not seeing immediate results is that when you do see results, they're often a little more dramatic. I found that I didn't see anything for quite a while and then suddenly... WHOOSH. There it was.

It's frustrating at first, but kinda a rush when it does happen!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8

Having gone up & down more times than I care to admit, if you're doing it right, it usually will take a few weeks to start showing up on the scale. So you may just want to limit weigh ins to once a week (if you're doing daily weigh ins). Also, weigh in at the same time each day & the same clothing wise (e.g. if you weigh in with no clothes right before you get in the shower first thing in the am, don't weigh in dressed, after lunch the next time, do it the same way you did previously).

What I've learned from my yo-yoing is that consistency is key. Establishing consistent habits we can live with is far more important than the no. on the scale.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #15  

TYTY all for the kind, encouragments!!! 3FC is playing a hugeeeeee rule in my lifestyle change! Just reading the posts and seeing everyone's tickers with weight loss is motivation alone! tyty xoxox!

I'm so glad to hear that yes, it might take more time for my body to get used to eating more and on an actual schedule. That must be it.

As someone had stated, i can tell changes already, just not on the scale. I do have more energy, I'm not as bloated (man the gas is hard to get used to lolllll, from all the good food i guess lol.), I do feel stronger physicaly. And that goodness my motivation is still 100% on track!

Yes, i need to stop the daily, sometimes 3 times lol, weigh ins. BUT i did get on the scale again today and i saw i dropped a pound!! woot! As another said above, maybe this is a blessing since i'm more excited just to see it drop since it took awhile. I also added a daily walk into my rountine starting yesterday.

TYTYTY all again for the awesome words. I'm going to keep trucking along knowing you are all here doing the same! keep up the great work ladies!!