3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Brekkie Woes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/139273-brekkie-woes.html)

Beach Patrol 04-08-2008 10:45 AM

Brekkie Woes

Hey everybody :carrot:

I have run into a slight snag & not sure how to handle it.

I am keeping my calorie count between 1200-1400 most days. Once in a while, I will hit 1500-1600 but it's rare, & usually a special occasion for which I've planned.

My problem is that I have gotten to the point to where I am NOT hungry for breakfast. :?: I do usually EAT breakfast... but it's because I have FORCED myself to do so. I know the importance of eating a good brekkie. And I enjoy a good healthy brekkie, too. But lately, I just find myself not hungry in the mornings. And forcing myself to eat makes me feel... bloated/yucky/like I want to throw up.

The past few days, I've been having my morning coffee, & then a Slim-Fast shake when I get to work. That's better than NOT having brekkie at all. But I awaken at 6am & don't get to work until about 8:30.

My NORMAL breakfast menu:

* Kashi Go-Lean Crunch cereal w/skim milk (also like to mix a 1/2 cup of Honey-Nut Cheerios or Life Cinnamon with that.... I have found that mixing cereals is a yummy way to get a good brekkie!!) OR

*Two scrambled eggs & 2 slices of turkey bacon OR

*Whole Wheat Bagel with fruit OR

*Smoothie with 1/2 banana, 5 strawberries, 1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup skim milk & ice OR

*Whole grain waffles with fruit

But here lately, I just can't seem to stomach food in the morning at all. The rest of the food-day is OK. No problem with snacks, hunger, meals, etc.

SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS WELCOME! :)

Mrs Snark 04-08-2008 10:51 AM

Well, I would try not eating brekkie for a while and see how it affects you. I don't think it is a good idea to force yourself to eat if it is making you feel sick and you may find your appetite for breakfast comes back after a while any way.

I don't think eating brekkie first thing is a requirement. I get up at 6am and run with no food in my stomach and then come home and shower before I eat. It doesn't cause me any problems...

PhotoChick 04-08-2008 11:10 AM

I honestly don't think breakfast *has* to be the very first thing you do in the morning ... if you feel better when you eat at work, then I'd keep with that for a while. I know that I can't eat immediately after I wake up or I feel kinda icky myself. I usually eat breakfast at my desk in the mornings - usually yogurt and fruit, sometimes hot cereal with milk, things like that.

I think skipping a morning meal entirely is not healthy for you - it means that by the time you eat lunch 6 or so hours after you wake up, your blood sugar is way low and you're probably starving. But eating breakfast later in the morning isn't a hugely bad thing. IMO, of course! :)

OnceUponADrive 04-08-2008 11:38 AM

I can't do food in the morning either, I drink a big glass of carnation instant breakfast in the morning with fat free milk. It doesn't make me feel icky and it's just like a nice big glass of chocolate milk in the morning but it really keeps me full for a few hours.

JayEll 04-08-2008 11:42 AM

I'm not hungry first thing, but I always eat breakfast--just not first thing! I eat about two hours or so after I get up. So, maybe you need to plan the regular breakfast foods for a little later.

Maybe you could think of it with a different name, too. "Brekkie" makes me want to throw up right now... ;) :joker:

Jay

alinnell 04-08-2008 11:48 AM

I often suffer from the same "malady." It happens several days in a row for me from time to time. I've found that if I just can't seem to stomach eating breakfast, I'll just pack a little something extra in case I get hungry at work. All it really means is having a later breakfast or two morning snacks. Hard boiled eggs are easy to take along, so I often have a dozen in the fridge just waiting for the occasion to pack off to work. Fruit and/or yogurt is easy, too. If you have an office where you can stash stuff, you can have a box of cereal at work and then just remember to bring milk.

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly 04-08-2008 11:51 AM

if you have to force it done then dont eat it! making yourself sick will do no good! weight a hour or so and see if you feel hungry later

Beach Patrol 04-08-2008 12:05 PM

I've just always understood that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day" & that your body NEEDS to "break the fast" of 8+ hours the night before. So (A) you don't over-eat or eat junk before or for lunch, and (2) you don't rob your body of what it needs to perform/function properly.

But thus far, what I'm getting is that it's OK to have a Slim-Fast when I get to work.

:cool:

I often don't eat brekkie at all on Saturdays... usually brunch.

And Sunday is "date breakfast" with my husband. I eat whatever I want wherever we go - usually an omelet or waffles, & then I plan the rest of my calorie day around that. :D

mamatoni 04-08-2008 12:19 PM

just my personal experience, I usually have coffee first thing (6am), then have breakfast around 8-9 am, then lunch around 3:00pm. Don't know how healthy this is, but it's when my body seems to get hungry.

Listen to your body!

mandalinn82 04-08-2008 12:21 PM

I don't eat for an hour and a half after I get up...never have. I can't stomach anything but coffee that quickly. Is it ideal? No. But I don't think its a major detriment.

alinnell 04-08-2008 01:52 PM

Amanda, an hour and a half is nothing! I get up at 4:30 and leave for work at 7:45 and often only have coffee and water during that time. At about 9 AM is when I start getting hungry (regardless of whether or not I ate before I left the house). Anywhere between 9 and 10 AM is snack time here at work.

rockinrobin 04-08-2008 02:29 PM

I always eat breakfast - jsut not upon waking - or anytime soon after.

My wake up times are sporadic as of late. Sometimes it's 5 am, sometimes, 6 or 6:30. I never eat before 9:00. Sometimes later. And then it's always something very light, followed by something a bit more substantial an hour and a half later. I have a big mug of tea though fairly early. No problems.

Yeah, we all need to find what works for ourselves. I say if you're sickened by food at an early hour - ummm, well then don't have food at an early hour. If your slim-fast is working for you - more power to ya. :)

retiredone 04-08-2008 03:05 PM

I can eat breakfast before I get out of bed. Sometimes I dream of breakfast....I wake up ravenous. But even though I'm really hungry sometimes I don't get to eat right away because I have to take care of my mother before I can eat. This isn't really helping you but I can't imagine not being hungry for breakfast...everyone's different.

Beach Patrol 04-08-2008 03:54 PM

If I don't eat anything at all, not even a Slim-Fast, then by 9:30 or 10am I am "hungry-hungry-hippo." :^: So it's definitely better for me to have a SF. I'd like to just grab a banana or apple & be done with it, but in so doing, I usually get ravenous by snack time, which is usually 10 or 10:30 & that leads me to eating something unhealthy or not worthy (vending machine anyone?).

Today I wasn't even hungry for lunch! - so I had a Slim Fast for lunch, too. I wonder why I'm not so hungry right now?? It just feels WEIRD. I'm usually quite hungry, and ready to eat. Strange!

rockinrobin 04-08-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach Patrol (Post 2140362)

Today I wasn't even hungry for lunch! - so I had a Slim Fast for lunch, too. I wonder why I'm not so hungry right now?? It just feels WEIRD. I'm usually quite hungry, and ready to eat. Strange!

I say enjoy it while you can!!!! It's sooo rare that I have one of those days. But gosh, how I love them.

And yes:

STAY AWAY FROM THE VENDING MACHINE!!

Ya hear? ;)