Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #16  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Well I'm still wallowing in the self pity here. I thought today would get better too. Geesh, I over ate to add to it. Think I might throw out my scale for awhile. I'm scared to see what it says to me. I'm sorda interested in your bike Jackie. Does it help you beat the blues? I was on Welbutrin once too. I had side effects from it. Glad you can sympathize with me, Spryng. It's awful though. We are fencing in our yard this spring too. I can't wait. I'm so sick of sitting on the couch. My house is so clean it would put Mr. Clean to shame. I'm just so bored. It's probably why I keep over eating. Oh and my parents sent this huge package full of Easter candy in the mail. Needless to say the house it full of junk again. I think I'm switching my St. Patty's challenge to see if I can gain 5# . Anyone want to join me.
You'll have to forgive me girls for being such a downer. Tomorrow has to be better. I guess I'd better get in the bed. Nighty Nite.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:32 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Oh misty!! I feel for you girl! It is almost scary how alike we can be at times. I did ok today until tonight. I was already at my limit for today and then my DH bought mcdonalds and I ate more and more!! Will I ever learn? It seems I'm headed in a downward spiral of over eating. I've got to get this in control before my scale starts showing it too. I'm on for that 5 lb gain by st. patricks day Misty!! jk. But seriously, this is getting ridiculous. I've got to quit eating like there is no tomorrow for big macs! And now that they are 2 for 2.22 is making it worse because my husband is a sucker for a tasty deal
What are we to do girls?? Please help before I ruin everything I have been working for !!!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #18  
hangin' in there...

Default New here, and just beginning...

Hello all...

I've been lurking around the 2FC site for a couple of weeks now... this is my first post. I am a mostly SAHM with 3 kids, ages 6, 4, and 16months. I also work part-time evenings and weekends, when Daddy can be home with the little ones.

I began my "journey" a couple of weeks ago, with a good start, but have hit a few pitfalls along the way. As you all know, life with kids is often unpredictable, and I find it difficult to stay on track when a bump in the road comes along. My first 10 days went wonderfully, and I lost 5 pounds. But then my 4 year old had surgery, so 2 days of hospital food and the followng days playing nurse at home pretty much wrecked me. It probably sounds like I'm making excuses, and I don't want to do that. So, how do you all manage "real life" and still healthy eating habits?

I find my biggest downfall is work... I work in a very busy emergency room, where it's often not possible to actually sit for a decent meal. Faced with a grumbling belly and no time to eat, I end up chowing on whatever "junk" is lying around. Any words of wisdom to help conquer these terrible moments?

On the plus side, I am eating better at home. I'm cooking good, low-fat meals, stepping up the fruits and veggies, choosing whole grains, and downing the water. I'm also managing to get out 3-4 times a week for a long walk... sometimes alone, other times pushing the baby stroller. I know I'm on the right track... it's just a matter of staying the course!

Sorry this is so long... thanks for listening!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:48 AM   #19  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Welcome Gemini. Your long posts are welcome here too. I'm SAHM, 2 Dd's 2 1/2 & 1. I'm in a bit of a funk here so forgive me for the poor introduction. Hope you stick around, I would love to get to know you better.

I'm off to the Doc girls. Hope you all have a nice day.

Edited to add I gained 3#.
Up too 127#.
I can't find a crying face so you all can imagine.

Last edited by Lilbitofsunshine; 03-06-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:05 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Angry

Good Morning!

First of all, I'd like to welcome Gemini to our thread! We're here for you, as I can see, you'll be here for us! How many hours p/wk. do you work in the emergency room?
How many hours in a day? I bet you are totally exhausted when you get home. I sure hope that you don't work the 3rd shift & then be expected to watch the kids during the day. One high-stress job w/b enough for me or anyone else, I would think! Sorry to hear that your 4 y/o had surgery. I hope that it isn't anything serious. I know exactly what you are going thru when it comes to playing "Nurse" @ home. My Mom had foot surgery about 3 wks. ago & to top things off, my 8 y/o dd is @ home since last Friday with strepp throat!
The only nice thing to dd being @ home, I don't have to help my dm out during the day! And...if DH is out of town, I can't help her @ night either! (She doesn't want me to leave the kids at home alone & for sure, she doesn't want me to bring dd over with her strepp!) I guess I get a bonus this week, huh? As soon as DM knows that DH is home again,
it's off to Mom's house I go! But...in your case, working nights in the ER & then playing nurse @ home during the day,
I can see where you'd get wore out! Hopefully all will be better soon. Maybe when you are @ work, you could bring a slim fast on ice for a quick meal instead of eating the junk around you. (That is if you can tolerate the SF.) Sounds like you are doing a great job @ home with the healthy eating/cooking choices. It's also great that you are getting out for regular walks. And for the long post: We love them! Misty: I hope that your spirits are on the mend for you. Maybe your Dr's. appt. will help you feel better. Don't worry about letting us know about your "pity parties", as I'm pretty good with these kind of parties myself! Just this morning, I was whining on how overwhelmed
I was. My DS's response: Your not the only Mom that feels like this, all mom's feel like you do! (So much for getting comfort from him, huh?) And your question about my bike: The hardest thing for me to do is to find the time to get on it. Once I'm peddlin' away, it's hard to get me off. I pedalled another 15.5 miles this a.m., burned 709 cals. & what it does to my well-being, I feel so great & my mind feels so much more clear when I finish. Just the feeling of knowing that I've burned that many cals & am toning my body is a great feeling! I'm so happy that my DH & DS fixed my bike over the weekend, as I sure missed it for the past month!
What were your side-affects from the Welbutrin? I'm not totally happy with it, but it's better than nothing! Without it, it's like having PMS, 24/7!! Oh!, and about your house being so clean: Want to come over & clean mine?
For the St. Pat's Challenge: We still have time! Let's not try & gain it, but start over from what we weigh now. As for me, I'm not sure how much I weigh right now. I'm afraid to hop on the scale again! I'm sure I've gained back the 6# that I lost while I was ill, but I'm afraid I gained more than that on top of it! I decided that I'd try & pedal at least 5 x's p/wk & try & watch what I eat & then close to St. Pat's Day, I'll weigh myself. If I'm at the same weight as before I was ill, I'll be happy with that #!
I can then move on from there. I've been doing a lot of day dreaming lately & I'm dreaming of a more slender body for summer, better than last years! For you gals that joined us since last summer, I was on a roll to get down to 140# by my 40th birthday, which was last July. Unfortunately, I didn't get to "140 by 40", but I sure got a lot of compliments & a lot of people thought that I did weigh 140! I guess this is where "muscle weighs more than fat" comes into the picture! And for the stats on muscle: Muscle is like having a natural girdle built into your body, as it "holds everything together". (No jell-o jigglers on my bod last summer!) I'm also hoping for a trimmer waist by the summer. I'm sure it won't look like Janet Jackson's, but anything is better than what I have now. And FYI: I've gained back most of the weight that I lost last year, so I'm starting over again! I'll keep dreaming & hopefully I'll get to my destination. Just remember everyone: Exercise does the body good & what it does for your mind is another plus!! (Remind me of this gals, if I start slipping again!) Spryng: I hope that you are staying away from those naughty McDonald's burgers!
I used to be addicted to their french fries a few years back & now I have no problem staying away from them. When we go to McDonald's I usually have a single burger & an Apple Bran Muffin & a water for a beverage. Stay away from those BIG Burgers, they're your worst enemy! You better tell your DH to go to McDonald's with the kids if he want's to eat the great deal & leave you home. Just think...what a nice break you would be getting too! You were right Spryng: If you don't watch it, you'll ruin what you have been working so hard at! I'm a good example, as I have to try & lose the same 25-30# that I lost & then some! For you gals that are cooped up with the kids all day: When you start feeling anxious/depressed, stay away from the "naughty" food & put on some energetic music & go grab your kids & start bee-boppin' with them. You'll burn some calories & have a few laughs in the process!! And Spryng: You & Ginny have given me so much incentive in the past several months, keep the inspiration going for me, okay? Speaking of Ginny: I wonder where she is? Maybe we're posting at the same time here. Should we see who's post is longer? Or maybe she's out for a long....walk! Well, dd is getting bored & also needs help with her school work. So...TTFN!
Old 03-06-2002, 02:08 PM   #21  

Good afternoon ladies and welcome Gemini!! It's so great to have you join us. I think you will really like it here! It's my second home and these ladies feel like childhood friends to me even though I've only known them since december. I have two kids, (1 and 2) and have been married for almost 4 years now. Needless to say I am battling my weight from two pregnancies so close together. They are 11 months apart. But I'm doing ok. Only 7 lbs or so from my goal now. It's been a long road. But you understand that already because you are there too
The only advice I can give you for feeling hungary while on the job is to take something with you so that you don't have to eat cafeteria food or hit the vending machines. The shake is a great idea or maybe a meal replacement bar but if you want real food take a lunch with you that consists of raw vegtables, fruits, maybe a sandwich or low fat yogurt or something to that nature. But taking your own food is the best idea I have. If you must eat something there eat a salad at the cafeteria or a small baked potato. You can do it I know you can!! Sounds like your eating and cooking at home is excellent!! Very healthy! So now you just have to take that transition with you to work! It all boils down to how bad you want to lose the weight. That's what I'm battling with now. I've been overeating for a couple of days now and I know I've got to quit or gain weight and I don't want the latter so I am trying to stay busy today and out of the kitchen. But stick around this site and believe me you'll get motivated!!
You are so right Jackie. Misty and I are incentives for you to lose the weight. Sometimes you think you are losing for yourself only but when you are part of a thread like this it's just not so. You are losing weight for your friends too so that they will stay motivated to lose weight!! I won't forget that again. I'm being good today for the rest of us who need to hear that someone is "trying" their best to stay OP. Wish me luck!! But seriously, I'm tired of the out of control feeling I've been having when it comes to eating. Like last night I ate that burger and fries after I had already had a nice filling dinner and a dessert!! I wasn't the least bit hungary yet I just felt I had to eat it! And all of it!! Not today though. I had low fat yogurt for breakfast and two low cal sandwiches for lunch (a total of 310 cals so far) so that will allow me to have a nice sized dinner. I love big dinners. So today I am vowing to be good. And then tomorrow is another day and I will start over....
Misty, I know how upset you must have been to see that gain. I'm playing with fire myself too. But because of TOM my weight isn't accurate right now so I'm staying away from the scale. But I'm hoping that if I'm good the rest of the week when I do weigh in it will be 132 or less. I hope so anyway. But we are here for you and there is a crying smilie so that one is for you! I hope you feel better soon and before you know it those three lbs will be back off again! Are you still doing yoga?
Well I guess I need to get off here. My show is about to start. Talk to you girls later!!
Old 03-06-2002, 04:35 PM   #22  

Default The Quiet Lurker finally Talks

Hi everyone I been on 3FC for a while but since I am on other threads as well I thought I should finally introduce myself here. I am a 33 year old SAHM of 2 (11 year old girl and 4 year old boy) I am married and 100 pounds overweight..
I used to weigh 228 but then I BALLOONED to 264.8 so I started slimfast about 2 weeks ago I am now 262.4 . My goal is 160 I am 5'6" tall
I am going to go over the budget to see if WW is in the budget for me as well but till then I am doing the shakes and drinking my water and eating as healthy as possible.. My DH is a "snackmaster" he can eat and eat and eat till he bursts but doesnt gain. My son is just like him as well. My daughter is at the high range of weight but the doc said she is fine weight wise..
Hmmmm too much info yet???
Also I am a member at the www.slimfast.com I have about 5 or 6 buddies there..I also have a weekly workout plan set up based on my interests at www.workoutplan.com
I hope you dont mind me finally coming out of the lurkers closet..;lol; You all seem so easy to talk with so I thought I would jump in.
Take Care
Sheila
Old 03-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #23  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Welcome Sheila! It's always good to have a new motivator on board! I think one of the other girls here is doing WW, Ginny? Correct me if I am wrong but I think she got her WW stuff off ebay. You might check it out. I'm so excited to see the 2 new faces! Gemini and Sheila, BIG Welcome to you and very nice to meet you.
Yes, I'm back girls! The therapy today was exactly what I needed. I came home and Dh saddled up my horse and the oldest Dd and I went for a long ride. It was 65 today and beautiful weather. Totally lifted my spirits.
Jackie about the Welbutrin, it was sexual side effects. Lack of drive, ya know.
Spryng, I'm still doing the yoga. I think my weight gain might have something to do with TOM too. I'm staying away from the scale for awhile too. Thanks for the crying face too.
Ginny, where are you? We miss you!
As for the rest of the day I did great. Kept the calories low and only had a few jelly beans. That's way better than yesterday!
I'm looking into the stationary bike. Dh said it could be of benifit. So we will see. It would be great, it is so hard to get a workout with 2 lil' ones. Okay I have to go finish up the dinner dishes.
Hope you all are having a great day!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:04 PM   #24  

Hello everyone and let me stop and welcome you in Sheila!! Wow I feel like it is christmas today with all the new ones joining us!!! I'm so excited to get to know you. You probably read about me earlier when I replied to gemini, but if you didn't let me introduce myself. My name is Spryng (it's my real name by the way, my middle name. Same spelling and all. ) I've been married for almost 4 years now. Will be four in april. I have two beautiful kids, 2 and 1, 11 months apart. I weighed 106 lbs the day I was married, 8 months later I had gained 40 lbs!! I'd like to blame it all on kids but they din't come until a year after that. Needless to say when I got pregnant I just kept gaining and gaining. I had my first baby and two months later was expecting again so I didn't even get a chance to lose the weight. So here I am now. Still trying to lose the weight. I haven't tried too many diets. I did slim fast once and I loved the chocolate shake!! I couldn't drink just one though. It never filled me up. Then I went on the Atkins diet. It worked great for me. The first time I was on it I lost 20 lbs in a month. But I tired of the food choices and went off. That happened several times. My DH hates that diet because of all the restrictions. He doesn't think I should deprive myself of anything I enjoy. So now I'm on a low calorie diet. Not one specific one. Just my own. It's working great for me. I love that I can eat anything I want as long as it's part of the daily calorie limit. It's all about portions. Oh and lots of water!! Well, anyway, so that's where I am now. I'm only 7 lbs from my goal but it's going very slowly now so it feels like 70 at times. I do hope to see you post here more often but you sound like you are very busy!! How do you do it all??
Misty, congrats on having a good day! You deserve it! And the bike sounds like a great idea. I too am think about something like that. I would really like a treadmill but they are so costly! maybe next year.
I'm proud to say my eating was EXCELLENT today!! I ended at about 1000 cals tonight. I feel really good right now. Now if I can just keep it up! jackie thank you so much again! It was you that gave me a "kick" in the butt to get into gear again. Your words echoed through my head all day. So this was for you!! Feel free to "kick" me anytime!!
Well it's been a long day so I'm calling it a night. I'll see you ladies tomorrow!!
Ginny?? Where are you?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:39 PM   #25  

Default Thank you

Thank you Lilbit and Spryng for the warm welcome
To clear up something. I am doing the shake for breakfast the rest of the day I do my own low calorie thing.. I tried the breakfast and lunch thing and it just didnt fill me up either..I guess I need actual food to think I am getting what I need. But I am NOT a breakfast person so the shake is the best thing for me.Otherwise I would skip that meal.. I know I need to be careful and consume at least 1200 calories daily..And get my WATER intake in and exercise
I did read about the Atkins Diet but thats as far as I went just reading.. It wasnt a plan for me..(and it was a book written in 1975 so the info might have been a nit old)
I tried the weight loss pill Meridida BUT I am also on antidepressants. I had to stop the Zoloft to take the Meridida.. Which wasnt a good idea.. I sunk into a deep depressed state and cried for weeks so they decided to have me stop meridida.. (No I am not a phycho just a bit unstable a/k/a manic depressive.)
Ya just gotta have a sense of humor sometimes and I use my sense of humor ALOT..(Hmmmmm too much info again huh??)
Ok I will go for now its past my bedtime 11.36 pm here in the northeast
Take Care and talk soon
Sheila
Old 03-07-2002, 09:24 AM   #26  
hangin' in there...

Angry

What a nice welcome... thank you!!!

I will try to answer some questions... I usually average about 20 hours per week at work in the ER. I do 2 weeknights, something like 6pm-midnight, then I do every other weekend... one of those weekend shifts is usually a 12 hour (3am-3pm) and the other is usually an 8 hour (7a-3p). I worked last night, was only scheduled for 7p-11p, but we had an overnite sick-call, so I stayed til about 2:30am. These are the times that get me into trouble with my eating. I had a good dinner before I left the house, expecting to only work my 4 hours... I vowed to be good and not eat anything, just chug my water. But, then I stayed late and of course got hungry, so I had a sandwich, which wasn't too terrible, but followed by chocolate cake, which wasn't too good! (actually, it was damn good, but not for the diet!!!)

Somehow, despite the fact that I cheated on my diet MANY times this week and ate hospital food for 2 days last weekend while my son was in for surgery (tonsillectomy... he's doing better now), I still managed to lose 2 pounds for the week. This brings me to 7lbs lost so far... over a little less than 3 weeks time. I am 5'4" and started at 175 (my all-time heaviest)... now at 168. My long-term goal is for a loss in the 40-45 pound range, but I will be ecstatic to start with 20lbs. ****, I am thrilled with the 7 so far!!!

So, my challenge for this weekend is to bring healthy food to work and stick with it! I am working 7a-7p on Saturday and 7a-3p on Sunday. I will sit down today and plan my weekend food before I hit the grocery store this afternoon.

On the homefront... I am managing to do fairly well with eating right during the day. I find if I keep busy, I am not so food-obsessed. But it's been tough this week, as we've been home-bound with my son recovering from surgery and my 16month old with the dreaded stomach bug. When I am home all day and don't keep as busy as I should, I find that I am watching the clock, just counting down the minutes until it's time to eat something. It definitely has gotten better over the past 3 weeks, but will there ever come a time when I am not thinking of food all day long???
Old 03-07-2002, 10:54 AM   #27  

Your last question Gemini is an easy one to answer "will ther ever come a time when I am not thinking about food all day long? " No there will never be a time! because while you are dieting of course you are thinking about food all day long, what foods you can have debating on what foods you don't need etc. And even when you hit your goal you will still diet to maintain that weight so you will still think about food constantly. It's the side effect we get for wanting our health back along with our figure But you sounds as though you have a plan now and that's great. I would definitely take a cereal bar or meal replacement bar on the nights you only have to work a few hours just in case you end up working longer. Then you won't have to be tempted with the food that's offered there. Plus you save money. It's a win win situation. And congrats on the 2 lb loss this week! That's great!! I'm not weighing in until after tom is over. I retain alot of water during. So the scale isn't my friend during those days. But I'm hoping to see a loss when it's over.
Sheila, you can never give us too much info And you being on anti depressants is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact it speaks good things about you. That you understand that you need the extra help with your emotions and such to be a better mother, wife, and person. And that's great!! I think you read the old old old atkins book. His new revised one is much better and more lenient than the old. You may like it. I really liked it but now I'm at a point in my life where I am almost a vegatarian now. And that's how I like it. I can't eat meat alone anymore. Now a hamburger I can tolerate, and pizza with toppings but just a steak or chicken breast lying on my plate I can't stand. I think that's from the lbs upon lbs I ate while doing the atkins diet. Because I also can't stand eggs or much cheese now. And that was all stuff you eat tons of while on that diet. But as for a diet where you always feel full and eat alot on it works. After three days on the diet your body goes into what is called Ketosis. Which simply means your body is burning fat as energy. and it feels great! You have a ton of energy and no appetite, so you eat just enough to sustain you and that's it. The lbs melt away but if you cheat you are thrown out of ketosis very fast and can feel ill and then it's three more days until you are back in it. I did that more times then I care to remember. It's hard on the body and made me very sick in the end. But it sounds like you enjoy low cal. That's great. You get more variety and to me it's more challenging but so worth it. My husband loves it.
Well, I guess I am rambling on...
Anyway, it's another day for us to get it right and hopefully today goes as well as yesterday. Happy eating to the rest of you!!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #28  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
I am still alive here. Just so busy. I hope to get back online later and read all the posts (oh, so many!) and welcome newcomers.
See ya later!
Ginny
Old 03-07-2002, 05:24 PM   #29  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Hi Girls!!! How is everyone doing today? It is beautiful here, 67. I've been out exercising the horses (and myself) all day. It is amazing what a little warm weather and some walking can do. I feel great. Hard to believe yesterday I was in such a mood. Thanks girls for putting up with me, I just love yain's for it.
My Dh is off on a road trip. He will be returning later this evening. The girls and I have been snacking all day, when it is just us we do this and avoid cooking. It's been all healthy eating. Mostly fruit and some venison jerky for me.
Great job there Gemini losing 2#! That is fantastic. Sounds like you are doing great with your diet. I was around 160# when I got started on this diet about a year ago. Then 140# when I joined SAHM. I'm now at 124# (got on the scale today even though I said I wouldn't) and 5'3". Spryng can relate too, she is your height and I can't remember what her high weight was. I'm thinking it was near mine though. I wish I had some magical advice to tell you to help you stop thinking about food. I think about it constantly. Winter is the worst, sitting in the house watching the clock, waiting for the minute I can eat again. I hate it. I stay so busy in the summer it doesn't bother me as much. Good luck hon, and hang in there. You are doing great this far. Glad to hear your Ds is feeling better after surgery too.
Sheila, I'm the pshyco around here! And clinical diagnosis manic depressive, maybe bi polar tendancies. It's still a diagnosis in the works. A few others here can relate. I felt like a wierdo when I had to tell all the girls here about my problem. They all have been nothing but warm and caring to me. I'm extending the same warmth to you dear. I know how it goes, been there too. I'm also doing my own low calorie low fat thing. I make it up as I go. Try as hard as I can to keep cals under 1500 and drink tons f water. Also exercise. I do yoga 3x a day. It is part of my therapy though. I don't take perscription drugs for my depression. I've tried many "coctails" and I have to many side effects. So, I see 3 doctors and we have come up with a more natural approach. Omega once a day taken with vitamin B12 then the yoga. I still get in a funk sometimes and gotta have some extra therapy. But I'm doing much better than I did on the perscriptions. I hope you feel more comfortable here now knowing my story. And you can never give us to much information. I love long posts as you can see by now, if you all haven't fallen asleep yet.
Hey Spryng! I love it when you "ramble"! I always find myself educated when you are done! Great information on the Adkins diet and Ketosis. Oh how I wish I had the motivation to do it. I'd meet my goal in no time!
Jackie, are you off back to your Dm's? How's the Dd? Hope you are doing well.
Ginny, where are you? I sure hope you didn't catch a bug.
Okay, I'm done girls. I gotta go get Louie (Dd's easter bunny) some hay and check the temp on the brooder. 250 chicks!
Old 03-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #30  
SAHM Cheerbabe

There you are Ginny! We were posting at the same time! I look forward to hearing all about your time away from us when you get time! Hope you are not over working yourself!
Misty
Closed Thread