Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #16  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Altari,
that's was a good post, I enjoyed reading it and looking at the pics.

Size is just a number, and it's completely meaningless to me, especially when you consider the fact that an 8 size may be size 6 in another store or size 10 in a third one. Charts always drive me crazy because my chest (especially after I get to my goal weight) will be always bigger than my hips measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
My best friend is the same height as I am, but always hovers around 120 pounds. I always held comfortably around 160 pounds. But because she was the "same height" I thought we should also be the "same size."
I know that it is very tempting to compare yourself to your friend (i.e. to her weight) but don't. I know from personal experience that even when I was fairly slim, people always seemed to be shocked by how much I weigh (they always guessed I weigh a lot less). I don't know if it is my bones that are heavy or what, but I think one needs to consider the whole picture (i.e. visually - such as, do I still have any areas that have fat, etc.) than just the numbers alone.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #17  

Height: 5'1"

Interesting. People are made differently and we have to remember that. My sister and I are the same height and we are built so different. I am small boned and have hips, while she is broad shouldered and has virtually no hips. We both wear a size 6 (after a lot of work) but she looks differently in sixes than I do. We're both short too, so a size 6 is just a good size for us, we're both 5' and 5'1".
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Altari,
that's was a good post, I enjoyed reading it and looking at the pics.

Size is just a number, and it's completely meaningless to me, especially when you consider the fact that an 8 size may be size 6 in another store or size 10 in a third one. Charts always drive me crazy because my chest (especially after I get to my goal weight) will be always bigger than my hips measurement.

I know that it is very tempting to compare yourself to your friend (i.e. to her weight) but don't. I know from personal experience that even when I was fairly slim, people always seemed to be shocked by how much I weigh (they always guessed I weigh a lot less). I don't know if it is my bones that are heavy or what, but I think one needs to consider the whole picture (i.e. visually - such as, do I still have any areas that have fat, etc.) than just the numbers alone.
Exactly!
My bf's jeans fit me very well - and i am 8lbs heavier than he is (though the legs are a little long) . of course, he's 5'10". He's a 32x32 also. My best friend is 127lbs, and only 2 inches shorter than I am, yet in MANY clothing styles, we are the SAME size. She is very curvy, with a smaller waist but proportionally much larger hips, whereas I have a thicker waist and proportionatly slimmer hips. The exception to this is "normal" rise pants, where she is a 6 and i am often a 10 even though clothing charts SAY I would be much larger than that. Anything that is a "mid" to "low" rise we are both 8s. Back when I started this journey, The only thing I wanted was to fit into a 10 again. Well, I made it there but I'm still not 100% happy with myself. I am discovering that my frame is more medium than I ever thought it was - There is a heavy number on the scale, but i always thought that I had wider hips and a larger bone structure, and that anything less than a 10 would be "too skinny" for me. Clothing sizes aren't static anywhere, but it does seem that now that I am in "regular" sizes versus plus there is a lot more variety in this 8 or 10 than that 8 or 10.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 210/151/hot

Height: 5'7"

Bah! Clothing sizes are the devil. I've been enslaved by them for way too long!!!

My skinny 6'2 boyfriend wears 32x34. He's skinny (eats Hot Pockets and doesn't work out either, mind you.... Another gripe!). Everyone says he's skinny and looks great. I, however, am considered average at best, chubby even, due to my thunder thighs. ARRGH!

I have a 30 inch waist and wear anything from a big old giant 6 from Gap (woo I LOVE size inflation) to a very disappointing 15 in Levi's from the junior's section. So my bf grabs a pair off the shelf and goes home, while I eyeball and take 4 pairs of pants into a dressing room and cry.

Not fair! But thank you to the OP for pointing this out. Whether or not I should, I feel a little better.
twentysixpoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #20  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

I was never smaller than a size 6. Even when I was anorexic and weighed 105 pounds. My hip bones will rip and destroy anything smaller than a 6 no matter how concave the rest of my body becomes.

I sure am glad I'm stubborn now and rip out all the tags in my clothing while whispering, "Liars" and throwing them in the trash.
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Oh I've before seen sizes like on men's Levis (the outside tag) while standing in line or something, and have thought, 32x34, that's MY size, they can be taller then me but look thin. Why is that?

Why do women have to be SO THIN? There's so much PRESSURE on us to be perfect.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #22  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I found this funny as I also deal with a very thin husband. He wears a 32 x 30. He'd lost some weight at one point and we actually had to shop the BOYS department to get him a belt when he'd dropped down to 29 and his size 30 pants were falling down.

A little trick I learned when I was still overweight and hated shopping for shorts in the plus sizes. Not only are men's sizings different from ours, but the cut is WAY different. If you want shorts that fit your waist without having elephant legs, buy men's shorts. The legs on them are straighter.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadotfever View Post
I was never smaller than a size 6. Even when I was anorexic and weighed 105 pounds. My hip bones will rip and destroy anything smaller than a 6 no matter how concave the rest of my body becomes.

I sure am glad I'm stubborn now and rip out all the tags in my clothing while whispering, "Liars" and throwing them in the trash.
I LOVE this.

I went shopping yesterday and tried on a size 12, thinking it would fit even if I wasn't sure about the cut. It was small and the wrong cut for me. Apparently the store I often shop at makes their sizes big, so even though I normally get a size 12 from them, I'm not really a size 12. You're right00the tags LIE!
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My father claims his waist size hasn't changed since he's gained weight with retirement, but that's only because he's moved his waist and wears his pants tightly cinched under the belly he's grown (which means he's in greater danger of losing his pants or at least exposing quite a bit of plumber's crack).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote