Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Ugh. I just had mine tested at work for a fitness challenge. 41%. But, as logn as it's a starting point I'm fine. I know that when I was younger, I was 16% at 135.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 AM   #17  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

When I was at 280 it was around 51-52% now I'm at 48-49% according to my scale.
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 AM   #18  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I tried to use the calculators that were posted, but I got values ranging from 17% body fat to 23% body fat, which seem slightly suspect to me given that I'm about thirty pounds overweight and clearly have at least a bit of extra fat to lose. On the low end in terms of body fat? I don't think so.

I guess I'll inquire about it the next time I'm at the doctor.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #19  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambifox View Post
Wow! Thank you all for your input. It's really interesting to see how 2 people same height/same weight can be soooo far apart in body fat %!!! That should be motivation for us all to (symbolicly) chuck our scales out the window!
My sister started exercising about a year ago without changing her diet. During that year, she has dropped from a size 10 to a size 4, but did not lose one single lb. Her weight is exactly the same as when she started, but she looks fantastic and is wearing a much smaller size. So clearly she's lost a lot of body fat and replaced it with muscle. It's amazing what losing a little body fat and gaining a little muscle will do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAngel
Do you know what is a healthy one? I've heard that 24, but I'm not quite sure.
"Understanding Your Body Fat Percentage" is an article that provides a good explanation of body fat, what is considered healthy, and how you can use it to determine if your weight loss goal is realistic.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #20  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
There are several websites that will calculate your body fat % using your weight and body measurements. Try BBLex and Freedieting.com. The results that I get from these websites and pretty close to what my trainer calculates using the caliper method.
B2B -- when you use these two websites do you get close to the same numbers w/each one? I just used these and got 36.6% on the freedieting one and 40% on the navy one. Using the forumula provided by murphmitch I got 28%. Hmmm. (I laughed out loud at the 28% -- for me? Um, too low I think!)

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-31-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #21  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Funny, I get 23% with the Fit or Fat one I listed. I also get 23% with the BBLex one. But with the Freedieting.com one I get 17.3%. I like that one. Makes you wonder how you can estimate body fat from measuring body parts without actually pinching the subcutaneous fat under it. I have always heard that the underwater method is the gold standard, but that calipers are the next best way, and that it takes an experienced user to do it right. I think my gym offers the skin calipers. I may ask them to measure me. Either way, I definitely think the body fat estimator on my Taylor scale is terribly inaccurate.

I think the most important thing is to consistently use the same method over time to track yourself as you lose weight.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #22  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

When I bought my scale I was 308lbs. It registered my body fat at 65% ...I was shocked but I guess at 308 it is what it is.

Now my body fat ranges between 54% and 59% really it changes daily so I just enjoy seeing it not in the 60s...
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote