Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 5"

Default sick, tired and EATING

HELP! I just joined this forum and it has been just the thing I needed to get started on my weight loss. I've lost 3 lbs! Just exercising, cutting out snacking and "grazing" and promising myself no fast food or binge eating.

But I am sick with a cold and my energy is low! It's making me feel SO hungry. I had a chicken sandwich for lunch, yogurt for snack after school and spinach ravioli for dinner.

Still it was really hard to get through the day because of the fatigue.

Tonight I went to the grocery store for coffee and left with mashed potatoes (full of fattiness ) from the hot bar. The thing is, I thought I wasn't hungry. I felt satiated after dinner. But I am coughing and tired and really, the food helped.

I need advice about this! How can I maintain the energy my body needs to fight the cold and still lose weight?? Or at the very least, not GAIN weight...

jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey jerzygal!

Well, trying to lose weight when sick is really hard on the body. You need to have enough nutrition to fight off the illness. So, I'd say concentrate on maintaining your weight while you're sick. You do that by eating as many calories as your metabolism allows, but not more. If you use Fitday or some of the other online trackers, they can sometimes tell you what your typical daily metabolic calorie burn is.

Also, try to stick with better foods than mashed potatoes--although they are not the worst thing you could eat. Instead, having an extra portion of chicken would be good. Protein is a good thing!

I hope you feel better soon and can get back onto your weight loss program!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I know this has come up before ... but it's worth repeating!

When you're sick, I don't think that you should focus on losing weight. Obviously I don't think you should take it as the opportunity to go wild and crazy, but I think eating healthily and listening to your body when you're sick is important.

Your body does need more energy and nutrition to fight off illness, so the more healthy food you can eat, the better. And, you know, when you feel really crappy, giving in to a little comfort food (if you can control it and not binge) is not the end of the world.

Hang in there and you'll feel better soon and be able to get back to losing weight. IN the meanwhile, take care of yourself and don't stress.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I know this has come up before ... but it's worth repeating!
Sorry! Just joined a few days ago!
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote