Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #1  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Default What the heck is going on here? Scales says i put on weight!! I dont get it!!

ok either my moms scale is broke or i am just going NUTS!!

the other day(tuesday) it said i was down 4 pounds. it said the same thing last night at like 10pm so i thought well if it says i am down 4 pounds at night then i should be less tomorrow. Right?? oh SO WRONG!!! Now it says i am up 3 pounds to 229!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! now see this is the crap that gets me so mad that all i wanna do is eat. I am depressed and upset over 3 pounds. this is NUTS!!!!!

Now i am so scared to join weight watchers tomorrow cause if it tells me i am over 230 i am going to cry!!!!! no, i am going to just lose it.

What is the best kind of scale to get??

Does anyone else ever have this problem??
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Scales fluctuate all the time. There's a great thread about it here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115826

Try not to let it get you down. Easier said than done, I know, but there is no way you gained three pounds overnight, so your body is just adjusting and before long that scale will start moving again. I have been gaining and losing the same pound for three weeks now, but my clothes are getting looser so I know *something* is happening even if the scale isn't cooperating.

It took me a long time to get over my obsession with that number, but now that I have it's a lot easier not to get discouraged and want to binge when the scale won't move. Keep at it! And join WW anyway. It's just a number, and chances are their scale is going to say something different from you mom's anyway. No scales ever agree with each other, which is why the actual number isn't as big a deal as the way you're feeling and the inches you lose.

Having said all that, I have a Tanita digital scale and it's awesome. Pricey, but very reliable.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #3  

Personally I think that different scales can give different readings, and I also heard that the floor that it's on (carpet, laminate flooring) can make a difference aswell.

If you still had a loss in the evening (where my mum says most people gain through water and such) it sounds like you're doing really well, don't let it put you off!
Beckyx98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #4  

Thank you so much for the link.. i never realized that you could fluxuate that bad. i did just start walking three miles a day. so maybe that caused it?
It just REALLY frusturates me and gets me in a slump if you know what i mean..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Your scale needs a trip to the dump. If you were down 4 lbs. last night then there is no way you are up 3 this morning. Forget all the reasons the scale fluctuates; you didn't fluctuate that much since last night, and certainly not in the upward direction.

Get yourself a Tanita. Worth every cent. This is hard enough without broken scales making it worse.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #6  

Thanks Becky,
i am trying and trying and i as well was always told you would weigh more at night.
Im just going to go to weight watchers with a positive out look and see what happens...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #7  

it is not my scale it is my moms and it is only about 5 months old and was over 200.00 so i thought it would be super on and right.
i just talked to my fiance and i think we are going to invest in a doctors scale like you see at the offices.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #8  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Here's a tip... when you're concerned that you're not losing weight or the numbers on the scale aren't what you're looking for... eating out of anger is NO WAY to reach your goal!!! You just doubly hurt yourself.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #9  

hey,
i dont call it anger i call it sheer frustration. maybe i worded that wrong.. Sorry about that.
After i join WW tomorrow i am going to go get me a good scale.
Thanks all for the comments!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Here's the thing. I will gain and lose 3 pounds in 24 hours for no reason. It's just the way things go in the course of a day for me.

It's sometime helpful to weigh less often, so that the fluctuations don't drive you nuts. For example, once a week, on the same day at the same time.

It's the change over time--not the daily ups and downs--that tell you whether your weight loss plan is working.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #11  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Being an obsessive weigh-er is the thing that knocks me off track every single time. I would weigh myself every morning, afternoon and night. When the scale would budget upward, even in the tiniest direction the next morning, I would get really discouraged and frustrated and go eat myself into gaining more weight because of it. Kind of like, why do all this hard work if it doesn't pay off? eating is much easier!

It helped a LOT for me to move the scale out of our bathroom and into the basement (two stories away!) Now I only weigh myself once a week or thereabouts, and on the same day each week. It gives me a better idea of overall progress vs. those fluctuations that are bound to happen when weighing daily.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

It's okay Shannon....it's just a number. It doesn't matter what number you start at....it is the fact that you START!

Wasn't there a poster on here a year or two ago that did a 24 hr weighing experiment and posted it here? I can't seem to find it!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote