"Reduced Rack" Snob-no-more

• I used to be 'reduced rack' snob when grocery shopping, especially produce, WELL not anymore... What deals....I filled a big tupperware container with fresh strawberries I got for .41 cents ! 3 summer squash, 3 zucchini in a package for .65 cents... 12 red potatoes in package for .75 cents. I plan on using all of this quickly of course, wouldn't bother otherwise... but what a savings... these days I have to watch every buck...
  • I am always on the lookout for reduced price foods. Especially meat. We just freeze it as soon as we get home from the store. You can save a lot of money that way!
  • Ooops, thought you were talking about the other 'rack'. I saw the title and thought, "Hey, I have one of those too!". LOL

Great deals! I'm afraid where I shop we don't have reduced racks for produce, just meat and bakery.
  • Quote: Ooops, thought you were talking about the other 'rack'. I saw the title and thought, "Hey, I have one of those too!". LOL

Great deals! I'm afraid where I shop we don't have reduced racks for produce, just meat and bakery.
    LOL that's what i thought when i saw this thread too!!!

one of the things i am most grateful for working in a grocery store is the free "almost not good" produce left in the break room. I can pick stuff up pretty regularly that is on it's way, but not bad yet. if i can use it that day, i take it.
  • sorry for the misleading title... I do have one of those... it's always the first place I lose from...
  • Quote: sorry for the misleading title... I do have one of those... it's always the first place I lose from...
    I would trade with you ANY day! it's the only place I haven't lost ANYTHING from. undergarment shopping is difficult now, if not near impossible!
  • I have only lost 2# so far and these are my first two weeks. Normally I would be pretty upset about that (my first weeks are usually my biggest losses). BUT.... I have lost 5 inches in those two weeks and 3 of those are from the chest...YAH. I want to wear cute tops this summer! It's a NSV but I don't know where that section is, can't find it.
  • Hey! NSVs are often reported in the Mini-Goals forum... but you can start a thread if you like.

Jay
  • Back to the produce I love to find the great big bags of bananas that have started turning. Usually close to 7 - 8 lbs of bananas for $1.00. I peel them and then freeze them individually. They are fantastic thrown in a smoothie!
  • Like most everyone else, I totally thought you were talking about the other kind of "rack"!!! How funny, made me smile when I saw what you were really referring to!

You must live some place warm...I cannot find produce for that price anywhere! When it gets warmer I am going to go to the farmer's market but until then I'm stuck in the frozen veggie section to get the best prices!
  • Now see I thought we'd be talking about the racks in the back corner of clothing stores. $4.99 and under ....

I like them too.

Do you all buy reduced peppers? You can cut them into nice bits and freeze them, then toss a handful into anything you make ... crockpot, casserole.
  • Yep, I'm thinking Nordstrom's Rack where they sell high-end clothing cheaper.

I used to buy the bananas and produce and meat when the store sold them for low prices. They don't do that anymore in my town. I don't know why, but maybe they think someone will try to sue them if they get sick from eating day-old produce(you know how we are in California). My DH thinks the store is afraid all the customers will wait for the old stuff and not spend any money on the high-priced items.
  • I don't find many reduced rack items here, but when I do, I can find some really good deals. Like you said though, you have to think short term usage, otherwise you're just wasting your money.