3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Obsessed with the Measuring Tape (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/137034-obsessed-measuring-tape.html)

full of grace 03-14-2008 01:54 PM

Obsessed with the Measuring Tape

Okay, so I've read about being obsessed with the scales, but I don't own a scale (precisely because I don't want to be obsessed with it, and when I've had scales in the past, I have absolutely become a weighing maniac) and have become "ruled by the tape," it seems, even though I've only taken my measurements a few times since starting BistroMD.

I know I'm premenstrual right now, which makes me think I shouldn't worry too much about a fluctuation in the WRONG direction for my measurements, but it seems I've gotten really upset about this week's measurements vs. the ones I took two weeks ago. (And if I could be totally logical about this, I wouldn't even bother posting. But I need some outside logic and/or commiseration, so I'm hoping y'all can provide that.)

So, last night's measurements made me want to just totally go off-plan. I wanted to say, "Oh, yeah?! I'm gonna be this GOOD with my eating and be rewarded by an increase in my measurements? I'll show you!" (Who will I show? Yeah, I know. I know.)

Even though my clothes are seriously falling off me and I KNOW my weight is just getting all sorts of redistributed as I lose weight, the measurements upset me so I'm thinking about buying a scale (all signs--via posts here--point to getting a Tanita of some sort), but then I'm worried because I KNOW I will weigh myself several times per day. I KNOW I will.

And I just don't want to be so results-oriented with this. I mean, YES, I *do* want results, ultimately, but I also know that I am getting healthier and trying to create a new LIFESTYLE and relationship with food, exercise, and my body. So, the prospect of introducing the obsessive, results-oriented process of weighing myself constantly makes me a little nervous.

Any thoughts? Advice? Hang-in-theres?

Thanks in advance! :hug:

mandalinn82 03-14-2008 02:04 PM

Honestly, I'd do a couple things:

1) Limit the tape to once a month, at the same point in your menstrual cycle. ONCE A MONTH.

2) Find a scale that is somewhere else, and go weigh in there once a month. I had a friend who had to send her scale "on a vacation" to her parent's house because she couldn't control her use of it. If you know you have a problem with frequent weighing, I'd resist getting a scale for inside your house...especially if you let scale fluctuations make you feel bad, which you indicated you do!

Can you count something else instead, like on-plan days?

full of grace 03-14-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandalinn82 (Post 2100010)
Honestly, I'd do a couple things:

1) Limit the tape to once a month, at the same point in your menstrual cycle. ONCE A MONTH.

That's very smart. Thank you. :D

Quote:

2) Find a scale that is somewhere else, and go weigh in there once a month. I had a friend who had to send her scale "on a vacation" to her parent's house because she couldn't control her use of it. If you know you have a problem with frequent weighing, I'd resist getting a scale for inside your house...especially if you let scale fluctuations make you feel bad, which you indicated you do!

That's also a great idea. Thank you. Yeah, I could get on the scale at the gym, but I risk doing that EVERY time I go and/or crying right there in the gym when the number isn't where I want it to be (seriously, there is a VERY good reason I've kept my house scale-free for the past five years. I get WAY obsessed and emotional about it all).

I really wish I could just keep using the fit of my clothes and HOW I FEEL as a great indication of the good work I'm doing. Wish, wish, wish!

Quote:

Can you count something else instead, like on-plan days?

Do you mean like record the number of 100% days I do and let that be my "win" rather than looking at my weight or my measurements or anything? In these first four weeks of BistroMD, I've been 100% on all but four days, which is what the BistroMD program prescribes--one day per week with a "free night within reason"--and I've done that (plus some cocktails).

I guess I just wish there were a way I could work on my body without getting so dang obsessed. I mean, maybe there's some GOOD behind the obsession, since it helps me stay on task, but the down side is all of the emotional turmoil and single-focus sometimes (to the point of distraction from all other things).

Thank you for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it, mandalinn.

Heather 03-14-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

I really wish I could just keep using the fit of my clothes and HOW I FEEL as a great indication of the good work I'm doing. Wish, wish, wish!
Well, why not????!! Seriously, the fit of clothes is a GREAT indicator of how you're doing! :)

Keep up the good work!

full of grace 03-14-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather (Post 2100028)
Well, why not????!! Seriously, the fit of clothes is a GREAT indicator of how you're doing! :)

Keep up the good work!

Thank you. I KNOW you're right, Heather. Thank you. "Well, why not?!?" indeed. You're totally right.

I'm just going to say that today, whenever I get in "monkey mind" about this. "Well, why not?!?" Yes. That's a good one.

Thank you. Both of you. I really appreciate the support!

Hat Trick 03-14-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full of grace (Post 2100003)
So, the prospect of introducing the obsessive, results-oriented process of weighing myself constantly makes me a little nervous.

Hey, we all have a little obessiveness about something when it comes to wt loss. Scales, tape measures, fat grams, carb grams, water, exercise, etc. Sometimes I think it just can't be helped. We're working our butts off and we want to see the fruits of our labor -- NOW!!

Try -- just try :) -- measuring once very two wks., once a month if you can manage. Put the tape measure away (maybe out of sight a little more out of mind??) Measurement results tend to take longer than scale results -- I find that for every 5 lbs. of scale loss only then will I see a change in the tape measure. If you measure every single day, how could frustration not set in? This stuff just can't come off quick enough to suite me. :D

Also, if you know you will weigh many times/day if you get a scale, don't get one. It's really quite pointless weighing many times a day. Get weighed then drink 32 oz of water and get weighed again. OF COURSE the scale will reflect this; you just lugged 32 oz.!! Wait until the water takes it's course and get weighed again and the scale reflects this as well. Once a wk is plenty to weigh but if you know you can't resist, find a scale at a gym or doc's office or somewhere (there's a drug store near us that has a scale and BP machine). Use them instead; just wear the same type of clothing each time.

Try replacing the tape and scale obsessiveness w/something else -- like amt of fiber or water or protein you take in. Maybe count calories -- THAT can become a satisfying, slightly competitive-with-self challenge. You can zig-zag your calories every day and track it. Track how many miles you walked or ran or swam. How much wt did you lift last week; did you increase it this wk? Or maybe the # of reps?

It's so hard not overfocusing on this whole wt loss thing sometimes, but I do find that if I keep busy w/other things in life it takes a back seat one in awhile. And then when I do a 'stat' check, ooo I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!

full of grace 03-14-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hat Trick (Post 2100036)
Hey, we all have a little obessiveness about something when it comes to wt loss. Scales, tape measures, fat grams, carb grams, water, exercise, etc. Sometimes I think it just can't be helped. We're working our butts off and we want to see the fruits of our labor -- NOW!!

Yes! I guess that's really it, isn't it? *sigh*

Quote:

Try replacing the tape and scale obsessiveness w/something else -- like amt of fiber or water or protein you take in. Maybe count calories -- THAT can become a satisfying, slightly competitive-with-self challenge. You can zig-zag your calories every day and track it. Track how many miles you walked or ran or swam. How much wt did you lift last week; did you increase it this wk? Or maybe the # of reps?

These are GREAT ideas. I guess if I embrace the fact that there are going to be obsessive tendencies regardless, I can just pick and choose where I channel that energy (and I love the idea of keeping track of ounces of water or calories or miles or anything else. Really great idea). Thank you!

Quote:

It's so hard not overfocusing on this whole wt loss thing sometimes, but I do find that if I keep busy w/other things in life it takes a back seat one in awhile. And then when I do a 'stat' check, ooo I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!

Thank you. Great tips and experiences, Hat Trick. I do appreciate the thoughts. I'm going to try to refocus my energy and hope to have a shift soon. That's a good plan. :D