Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Ideal weight by frame size...

Sometimes I just wonder what my ideal weight really is... I just googled my height and ideal weight and found some websites. One is about frame size and had some strange way of figuring that out - by measuring the bones at the bottom of your elbow. According to calculations I'm a smaller frame (found this at healthchecksystems.com), meaning I should be 129-142 but I'm thinking one would add in factors like - have you had a baby (that CHANGES things), how old are you (it seems that I'm not as small framed as I used to be when younger), lifting weights (muscle weighs more then fat), etc.

Are there other ways of figuring out frame size and ideal weight? I'm just wanting to set a REALISTIC goal, I'm feeling better and thinning, but since I'm on a mission I might as well go for IDEAL.

5'9"

small frame 129-142

medium frame 139-153

large frame 149-170
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #2  

I forgot to factor in large shoulders, I have THEM, but my legs and arms are smaller boned. I read about Claire Danes once, and she got quite thin and a nutritionist said since she has broad shoulders it was TOO thin, and it showed in the picture. I was 155 1-1/2 years ago and that was "about right" for me I think, although I needed more muscle in what became too thin legs, thus weight training this time around.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #3  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

I am close to your hieght and at my skinniest...and I mean skinnY...I weighed 155. I may carry it differently than other people becuase I have a larger chest but I think it really goes with everyone in that sense. You should aim for a weight that best suits you. Set a goal and once you accomplish it go from there. If you choose to loose more that could be another a goal and so on and so forth. Good luck!
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

You are right too in that over the years our bodies change. What I felt comfortable at years ago is not something that is realistic for me now. I don't bother with all the charts that say a persons ideal weight. For me, my ideal weight will be what I feel comfortable at, what I look best, and feel the best for my body. And who knows, it may be what the charts say but I won't know until I get there. I am aiming for 160 right now and then will go from there and decide.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #5  
FB

Medical charts aside, ideal, for me, in the past was 135-140 at 5'10". Ideal because it felt right and looked right. Although I'm tall, broad shoulders and all, I don't carry weight well.

Much has happened since I've been that ideal for me weight. I've had a baby and have entered my early thirties. There's no way of knowing what I would look like now at that weight.

Because I'm so far from that goal my primary objective is to get closer to where I would like to be and then reassess from there. Once I'm healthy, I have no problem adjusting my goals to the new ideal me!

I see many of the admirable weight losers here adjusting their goals, I figure (since I'm going to join their ranks after all ) that I'll follow their lead. Shoot for a happy number, live and live well at that number and readjust from there if that number could use some work.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  

Yes I think I'll shoot for 155, then I'll adjust again depending on how I look, feel... I'm thinking I want to go for FIT this time around, some muscle as 155 last time I lost weight was a little skinny for me. Amazing since I was 130s in my 20s - but most people thought I was too skinny back then, likely I was, skinny fat too. So I know THE size 5-7 jeans is unrealistic. I like being a size 8-10, right now I'm between 12 and 10, I'll be back here soon, my jeans are getting loose! I DON'T carry weight well AT ALL, I gain it all in my stomach and I can't wear ANYTHING when I'm 10 lbs or more overweight. NOTHING. I think hiding a stomach is the hardest thing to do fashion wise, it's all about blazers and tunic shirts that I'm TIRED of. Even now at 163 or so I'm much, much happier with that BLOB gone.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #7  

What changed for me after the "kid" is my chest is bigger, my rib cage expanded I think. I don't know, does our frame enlarge as we get older?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

I'm a couple inches shorter, and I think under 135 will be too skinny for me. I'm already starting to lose boobage now.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 378/ticker/160

all the numbers/charts always confuse me, they always say something different. And since I can't remember a "just right" size, I'll just have to keep pushing till it does feel right.
cuckoomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I think it is helpful to focus more on your body fat % rather than on your weight. Understanding Your Body Fat Percentage is a helpful article on understanding what your body fat % means.

I have found that I'm pretty happy with how I look if my body fat percentage is around 23% or lower. I've also found that it is really hard for me to maintain a body fat % below 22%. I could probably do it if I were willing to follow a low glycemic index diet (which means giving up all added sugar and all corn and corn products), but so far I haven't been willing to make that kind of change to my diet.

Also, check out freedieting.com--loads of fun tools to calculate how healthy you are, including a body fat % calculator.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You can always revise your goal. I revised mine three times! My first goal was 150, then 135 and my final goal weight ended up being 130. I am 5'7" with a small frame, but I really had no idea what the "right" weight would be until I got there.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I revised my goal as well. It's really hard to know just how you'll look or more importantly FEEL at a certain number. Especially if you haven't been there or close to there for a long time. When you're at the "right" number, for you that is, you'll know it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote