Suggestions on getting re-started?

• I'm sure you know how it is. It's been midterm season, I got behind on my work. First the fencing season ended so I didn't have three hour practices every day. Then I cut out my morning jog to do homework. I made more and more allowances, and before I knew it I was right back to where I was before I put all this effort into changing my habits, which is eating enormous amounts and being basically totally sedentary. I think my problem is that people have started complimenting me on the weight I've lost, I've gotten much more athletic, and it just doesn't suck enough to be me anymore. The pressure to lose weight isn't there.

So, suggestions? What's worked for you guys when you got off track and needed to get going again?
  • So what if people are complimenting you? So what if, socially, it doesn't "suck to be you"? I mean, don't get me wrong, those are fantastic accomplishments. It must feel great to receive compliments and you must be very proud of what you've done.

But you appear to still want to lose weight, or you wouldn't be posting this. Why stop now, just because other people aren't making life awkward for you anymore? You know your body would be healthier/happier at a lower weight. You at some point had a goal of a lower weight. You're posting here, which makes me believe you do know that you want to lose weight. Disassociate your desire to lose weight from other people. Your health does not depend on a single person outside of yourself.

So think about how much happier you are now, than when you were 36 pounds heavier. What about when you lose that last 10 pounds, how much more wonderful will that feel? You'll have even more changes in your body to celebrate. You've done an amazing job so far, don't let laziness get in the way

Though I understand that school at this point can get in the way, esp when you're facing midterms and then finals and stuff. But if you really want it you'll find a way, you know? Good luck and I hope you don't give up!
  • Quote: ... it just doesn't suck enough to be me anymore. The pressure to lose weight isn't there.

So, suggestions? What's worked for you guys when you got off track and needed to get going again?
    I posted something similar to this just last night. I am down to my last twenty pounds to get to my goal and I'm just not as motivated as I was. I haven't completely walked away from the habits that I've learned, but it scares me because I could see that happening easily if I don't watch it. The kicker for me is - even though I don't hate the way I look, I do hate the way I feel when I'm not exercising and eating on plan. That needs to be my motivation and not the way my body looks, otherwise I won't be able to maintain once I do get to goal. Maybe this is a test for me to help me prepare for maintenance? Maybe you too?
  • Hey!

Well... to be blunt... It's called "backsliding into your old ways." Part of the mind says, "Oh goody, now I get to be a spoiled kid again and eat whatever I want and never exercise." (Or words to that effect.)

That's why so many people call this a lifestyle change. It doesn't matter whether you are at goal, or you've lost XX pounds, or whatever--the changes in what you do on a daily basis have to stick. Otherwise, a person could find herself a year from now coming back to 3FC and saying, "Oh, I don't know what happened...but I've gained back all the weight."

Don't be one of those people!

C'mon now! You know what you need to do! You know you can!

Jay
  • I'm having this problem too. Backsliding is a great word for it. Eating more and exercising less than I should -- though I haven't completely backslided back to all my old ways.

For me, I find that I get overwhelmed by having to make all those changes AGAIN. I started by 'baby-stepping' into new habits. So, when I'm confronted with the backslide, sometimes it helps me to baby step back. Pick one habit to work on, then the next. The good news is that I find I can baby step quicker than the first time.

Hope that made sense! Good luck!
  • Yeah. I started today with high intentions, but gave in really quickly and before I knew it had eaten a slice of pizza, some chicken parmesian and a bowl of cereal.

BUT I managed to stop myself at that point, because I knew I really didn't want to be doing this and I had resolved not to. So I ended up getting off my lazy butt and jogging for forty-five minutes.

So, I guess this is just a process, and I have to be able to not give in completely when I screw up. Hopefully I can keep it up.
  • I was backsliding too. I do know what you mean about the compliments stopping. The compliments helped motivate me to keep losing for some reason. Now I feel everyone is just waiting for me to gain it all back. I really don't want that to happen. I gained 5 back and feel like crap. I feel that everyone can tell too. I need to start exercising again and stop talking about it.