I got the flu and lost 12 pounds in a week?!?!

• I was holding at 222 lbs. during the daytime and now I'm at 210. I've spent the last week battling the flu and not eating much. Which obviously is a great diet plan. (kidding . . . !)

I know I shouldn't be so excited, but the loss has really pumped me up to keep losing weight. I'm just afraid once it comes back, I will be heartbroken.

Does anyone know what the chances of it all coming back? Or lost weight and kept it off from a bout of illness? I wouldn't a miss a few of those pounds!

Any opinions would be great.
  • Honestly,

You'll have to just wait and see. Many people lose weight while being sick, sometimes it comes back at least partially. There are a lot of reasons to lose weight while being sick including losing water. I highly doubt it was 12 lbs of fat you lost, but possibly just weight shifting a bit.
  • Losing that much weight due to flu is likely due to water weight loss. But chin up little trooper! - no matter WHAT it is that has inspired you, the fact is YOU'RE INSPIRED NOW! - I wish you the best of luck & PLEASE keep coming here for advice & support - this is the best group of folks available on-line!
  • it's likely A LOT of water. But hopefully some of it will stay off!
  • When i got a stomach virus last year, i lost 5 pounds. Thankfully, none of it came back. Ya know...i got 9 sick days saved up this year. I could go for a few more pounds to leave me. Think you can send that bug my way??? lol.
  • I lost 6 pounds with the flu in 2 days in December. It all came back after 3 days of eating again.
  • i would imagine that at least some of the weight would come back. simply because we lose so many fluids when we are sick. but stick with your newfound motivation...maybe you won't gain all of it back! hope you feel all better soon!
  • I lost 6 or so pounds with my flu bout, and gained 4 back. It was mostly water, I know I was dehydrated.
  • I got salmonella poisoning a couple of years ago, and I lost 17 pounds in two weeks. I gained it all back when I started eating normally again, but since this gives you a boost to keep going with your weight loss, perhaps you will be able to keep off some of the pounds you lost.
  • Gosh. Thanks for all your replies. In my head I know I probably lost water and muscle over fat . . but my heart gets a tickle when I see 212 [yes, already gaining back]. It is the lowest the scale has been for years with me on it.

Oh well.

I'm going back to work tomorrow even tho just walking up and down the stairs gets me dizzy and clammy and tired. I guess everyone at work has now got the bug and I took a week off. My job is crazy busy running around for 7.5 entire hours. I'm scared. I can't even pick up my room today. I am really dreading going back tomorrow, Sunday.
  • Can't wait to get the flu lol