Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default So.. When are you due??

I dont think I have ever asked someone that question, unless I was 1000% sure they were pregnant!!
I know Im fat, lady, so why put it in my face!!!

I usually just "try" to laugh it off with them, and usually end up insulting myself. But those comments hurt peoples feelings. Im trying to lose weight, why when I go someone I have to be constantly reminded that im fat. LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY!!!

How do you reply to this? Do I just keep making fun of myself with them?? Or do I say something rude back??
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #2  
Better than staples.

S/C/G: 176/126/116

Height: 5'4''

Just say 'No.' Trust me, they will realize the error of their ways.
paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #3  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I've been asked this 3 times in my life. I have always just said, "I'm not" and then they get a horrified look on their face.

It's an AWFUL feeling.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I was asked this for the first time when I was *12* years old. I was wandering through a clothing store, maybe I was in the maternity section, I really don't know. I'll never know what possessed that woman to ask a child that, even if I had been a pregnant 12 year old I wouldn't have wanted to discuss it with a stranger. At the time I was so embarrassed and humiliated. Actually, this is the first time I've ever told anyone about it. The other two times were as an adult, and as soon as I answered "No" the questioners were the ones embarrassed.

I've learned to NEVER ask anyone that question, unless I can see the baby actually coming out.

Don't make fun of yourself with them! It's their own stupidity that caused them to ask it, why should you accept any of the blame. Just say no, and let them deal with trying to recover the conversation.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

They are the ones who should be embarrassed. And they will be as soon as you say "Due for what?"

jtammy - how awful that someone would ask a young girl that >_<
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/253/180

Height: 5'8"

I don't think I have ever been asked that question, but it blows me away that people ask it without being a million % positive that the woman is indeed pregnant. I don't even know how I would react to that question....
JimmieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
They are the ones who should be embarrassed. And they will be as soon as you say "Due for what?"

jtammy - how awful that someone would ask a young girl that >_<
Love that--due for what?

And Jtammy--I'm sorry that happened to you...

Unless I see a baby coming out of the va-j-j, I would never ask when someone was due....
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #8  

I guess I have a mean streak. "I'm not pregnant, I'm fat." Simple and factual, and is a sure conversation stopper!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip View Post
Just say 'No.' Trust me, they will realize the error of their ways.
Oh, you would think wouldnt you. I had a checker in my local grocery ask me when I was due once ..I wasnt even all THAT heavy then, but I had a poochy sweatshirt.

The BAD part was for the next 2 years she kept asking me how the baby was...and I had no children. "Oh I thought I remembered you being pregnant."

Finally after the 4th or 5th time I said very bluntly "No, you remember THINKING I was pregnant when I was just fat. " That did finally seem to stop it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My waist has alway been my biggest body area and I got so sick of being asked "when's your baby due?" that I just started saying "in 2 weeks".
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #11  

Oh, Lily, that is really funny!!! I thought when I got older and my hair started graying that I would never have to put up with that comment again. Nevertheless, at almost 59 yr. old, a woman asked me that less than 6 mo. ago! My heart sank. A friend said I should have taken it as a compliment. The lady must have thought I looked young enough to be pg. ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Even though my tummy is the biggest part of me, I've never been asked that. Not sure why. I'd definitely be horrified if someone thought I was pregnant.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymster View Post
Unless I see a baby coming out of the va-j-j, I would never ask when someone was due....
My podiatrist apparently takes that policy. I went to see him when my metatarsals collapsed during my last pregnancy. I wrote pregnant on the intake form. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and at that point I looked pregnant.

I could tell he was trying to avoid the topic, but since excess weight and loose ligaments was causing my problem I finally said "I know it is because I am 8 months pregnant, but can we make it so I am not bed bound until I deliver?"
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #14  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, I've had this one happen to me, but it was a child who said it! I was shopping, and a little girl came up to me and told her mother "there is a baby in there"! Her mother was mortified, and I just had to laugh. I was about 175 pounds at the time, and didn't think that I was THAT overweight. I can say that the incident was truly motivational, though!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Interesting... my tummy and chest are huge compared to the rest of me. I have been asked a few times if I was pregnant. One time I did what Lily said and I told the lady that I was pregnant. I just got tired of it. I only got asked that when I weighed less. At my HW I never have been asked, probably because the rest of me is fat too so people think "she's just fat" instead of that I'm pregnant. Hopefully on the weight LOSS journey I won't encounter the pregancy question. It really ticks me off. Even if I see a woman who is OBVIOUSLY pregnant I don't ask her about it. If she wants to tell me then she will, it's really none of my business.

Last edited by peachcake; 02-28-2008 at 12:00 PM.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote