3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   OVERWHELMING hunger! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/134973-overwhelming-hunger.html)

samick0926 02-20-2008 04:53 PM

OVERWHELMING hunger!

I'm not sure if you guys are all used to this feeling, but a lot of times I'll go on a diet with great balances in the morning: an energy-packed 300 calorie breakfast, a 300 calorie lunch, and by the time I get home around 4:00, I'm absolutely famished. The ache of not eating must accumulate throughout the day, and when I walk in the door I'm ready to eat anything in sight.

I realize that this is my weakness in dieting; that crucial space when I am free to do whatever I please and my hunger usually will override anything else.

How can I satisfy hunger so that I don't feel this way at night? Is there any type of low-cal, filling food that can really help? Or should I do something to my meal planning? I am trying to consume 1,200 calories daily.

Thanks!

//

PhotoChick 02-20-2008 05:02 PM

Can you give us an idea of what you're normally eating? Knowing how much protein, etc. you're getting at each meal can make a difference in the advice given! :)

Also, think about incorporating a mid-afternoon snack into your plan if you know that you'll be that starving when you get home.

I usually eat an apple and some cheese (60 cals for the apple and 50 cals for the string cheese or 110 cals for an ounce of sharp cheddar) around 3:30 in the afternoon (I don't leave my office until after 5).

HeatherAngel 02-20-2008 05:03 PM

Between 4-4:30pm I try to have a snack (I tend to binge later on days I don't! :rolleyes:) - current favourite is 1/4 cup of Kashi Go Lean with 1/4 cup raw blueberries and 1/4 cup of yogurt. 101 calories, very satisfying, tasty crunchy and filling!

mandalinn82 02-20-2008 05:06 PM

Snacks, snacks, snacks!

If you've eaten 600 calories by dinner, and you make that dinner 400 calories, you have 200 calories to spend on snacks...one in the late afternoon, with plenty of protein and fiber, should help a lot. Maybe a light yogurt with some high-fiber cereal would pack enough a punch to hold you over until dinner?

Also make sure you're getting plenty of protein and fiber...both help to keep you full.

Glory87 02-20-2008 05:11 PM

600 calories before dinner isn't very much - I plan for THREE snacks in the afternoon! I'm usually hungry by dinner, but not famished :)

peachcake 02-20-2008 05:16 PM

I am also trying for about 1200 per day so I'll give you a menu example

B(7am)- Cottage cheese and fruit
S(10am)- String cheese or granola bar
L(noon)- Lean cuisine or something similar
S(3-4pm)- strong cheese, yogurt or granola bar before gym if I feel I need it
D (5-6pm)- Chicken or fish and veggies
S- Skinny cow ice cream or a popsicle if I want it

My big thing is protein first thing in the morning. It sets how I feel for the day. I get pretty hungry sometimes but I try and put in a good snack. Hope this helps.

JayEll 02-20-2008 05:50 PM

Hey! I agree with other's who've posted-- it's unrealistic to expect that on 600 calories for 8 hours or more, you won't feel famished. I've had two meals and two snacks so far today, for 800 calories, and I'm READY for dinner! :drool:

btw, why 1200? How much do you weigh, and how old are you? It could be that you could still lose weight while eating more.

Jay

GrabTheBull 02-20-2008 05:55 PM

I agree with the protein idea. I try to keep turkey and cheese slices on hand for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. Be careful with the cheese (can pack in the calories) - have your deli slice it thin. Also look for low-sodium deli meats. Drink lots of water. Good luck!

Jasmine31 02-20-2008 05:57 PM

Jayell is right.

samick0926 02-20-2008 07:34 PM

wow! i just posted a few hours ago and all this motivation! thanks so much, guys! i'm aiming for 1200, i currently am 5'7" and 158 lbs. im 17. but getting ready for swimsuit season! im sure you all can relate! :-)

so protein and fiber are best?
what foods does everyone recommend for being "filling"?
im sick of eating like popcorn and things like that, but feeling like i'm eating air, if you know what i mean?

thanks so much for all the help, everyone! this site is incredible!

thank you!!! i feel like this is doable now! im so excited!!!

aphil 02-20-2008 07:37 PM

Since you are young, you could probably get away with eating 1300-1400 calories a day at your current weight, and still lose.

This could really help you with the "hungries". Teenagers are still growing in many aspects, and your calorie level might need tweaking a bit-especially if you are exercising.

Lovely 02-20-2008 08:30 PM

Agreeing with the above posters: PLANNED SNACKS!

Protein & Fiber are great things!

I usually try to head hunger off at the pass by eating a piece or two of reduced fat cheese (decent amount of protein). Like Mini-Babybel Light, or a yogurt, with a serving of Melba Snacks. Just enough to keep me satisfied until I can make myself a good dinner.

The other thing you might want to check out is adding 1 or 2 hundred calories. As Aphil points out, you're still young enough to be growing (in a healthy sort of way!!!).

veggielover 02-20-2008 11:00 PM

I find that hot foods help satiate my hunger better than cold foods, but its different for a lot of people. I know it's hard to find good snacks in between meals, but I would opt for mini meals instead of 3 full meals!

samick0926 02-20-2008 11:07 PM

I'm not quite sure about my calorie goals. I mean, I don't want to wimp out on my goals here, I feel like giving myself 1400 cals a day is a bit much, but then again, if I really cut myself short, it's discouraging. How do you guys find your calorie intake?

PhotoChick 02-20-2008 11:28 PM

1400 is only 200 calories above the recommended minimum. Any lower than 1200 and you risk causing your metabolism to slow waaaay down and stall your weight loss significantly because your body starts to hoard nutrients.

FWIW, I'm at 172 now (down from 237) and I average between 1300 and 1500 calories a day. At that rate, I lose at a nice steady pace.