What's your exercise distraction?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am so excited, I just bought 4 new books. When I work out on the elliptical I read the entire time and it makes the 30min FLY by. I was out of books because some jerk stole my steamy romance from the gym the other night, but I bought it again, and 3 others. Yay!

So what do you do to make the time go by faster at the gym? Or do you enjoy it and don't need a distraction?
  • I read magazines or books, and usually have music on as well. Or the TV.
  • I love my steamy romance novels, they TV is on silent and the radio is on at the gym. But when I get into a really good book I lose myself in it. Thank goodness.
  • I usually listen to my ipod (try to get really upbeat uptempo songs). I too am a fan of books, especially steamy romances. when I read them at home, i also lose myself in them. I dont read when im working out bc I just thought that i'd be moving too much exercising to concentrate on the book. however, since it works for u, im going to give it a try --so thanks
  • I sometimes watch the TVs at the gym, but mostly I like to pay attention to my body and how I'm doing. I don't like trying to zone out when I'm exercising.

Jay
  • My iPod has been THE BEST THING EVER. It is easy to use - it doesn't skip and I load it up with music... I have been trying to make a list of songs that have the right tempo for different speeds on the treadmill... This way, in the spring when I am jogging outside, I can pace myself based on my tunes!
  • I listen to my mp3 player. I walk between 60 -80 minutes 6 days a week. It really helps or I would go nuts!
  • My MP3 player... I find my mind wandering, and I forget I am working out, which is really nice. Most of the time, I am fantasizing about being at my goal weight and people's reactions when I am all fit and fabulous, lol. It keeps me motivated
  • How do you read and use the elliptical at the same time? I have tried it before but I am moving up and down and can't read it. I'd really like to know because I would like to read at the gym!
    But right now I just listen to my iPod. I have been thinking about downloading an audio book, which would be great.
  • I listen to books on tape/CD. My genre of choice is mystery.

I am researching the right player to get for listening to downloaded audio books. According to my library's information, the i-pod doesn't work for electronic library books. Something about it has to automatically delete after the alotted use time.
  • Ok, I'm a dork, but when I do weight training I usually catch up on my NPR podcasts (wait wait don't tell me, This American Life). It makes the time fly by and keeps me distracted when I need distracting, like for that one... last... rep...

For cardio I need music. I won't push myself as hard without it.
  • For the most part, I was going to say what Jay said. Most exercising a do I like to pay attention to what my body's doing and how it feels. I find I feel exercise is more rewarding like this.

That being said, there are moments when I need my iPod -- when I'm jogging and am facing a tough stretch (either due to a hill or my own tiredness), I turn on an upbeat song and try to make it through the length of it before I stop. It helps me push just a little harder sometimes. Otherwise I like silence and focus.
  • I can't read on the treadmill. I have tried...it is like reading in the car...it makes me sick. So on the treadmill I MUST have my eyepod. Although I also watch the TV at the gym, they have the sound down but the close caption on. Don't ask me how I can read that and not a book. I think cuz there is only a few lines on the screen at a time.

When I do strength training sometimes I leave my ipod on and sometimes I don't.
  • I guess it takes concentration to read a book while on an elliptical. Sometimes I have to go back a line or two because I get lost but it doesn't happen very often. I just set it on the elliptical shelf thingy where you can put a magazine or whatever and hold it there with one hand. I don't have great eye sight and I don't wear glasses or contacts but it works for me. After 30min or so my eyes start getting too tired so I usually can't do it for more than the 30.
  • I'm not sure I have distractions. I bring my MP3 player at the gym, but it's more because I like loading it with fast-paced songs that will instinctively make me run faster as well (otherwise we have some cheapo "let's listen to nostalgic slow songs" radio at the gym, and the only thing it encourages me to do is to fall asleep on the treadmill ). I tried reading once, it didn't work--too much worries about keeping my balance, and finding myself doing a half-assed workout instead of giving my best. And of course, it just doesn't work with weight-lifting, since I have to be fully focused on what I do if I don't want to be wheezing for help under 100lbs of barbell fallen over my head.

But the MP3 player still remains a must for me.