3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   whats your motivation? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/134416-whats-your-motivation.html)

mommy2two 02-14-2008 12:34 PM

whats your motivation?

I have been thinking about this all day today...What is your motivation for losing weight?

Every time that i think i don't want to hop on the elliptical or pick up the weights i think about DH. I want to be the confident girl that is happy going out with his friends without feeling like the "fat one". I know he loves me as much now with the weight as he did then but i want to be that girl again. I also think about my 2 little boys and how they deserve to have a mom that can play outside with them without getting tired or winded. I want to be the mom that can play tag for an hour and still have enough energy to get through the rest of the day. I so want to be able to throw on a tee shirt and jeans and go, but i cant...i stress about everything and how it looks bad because it doesn't fit.

So whats your motivation? Kids..significant other...health..that red dress thats currently 4 sizes too small...all??

rockinrobin 02-14-2008 12:50 PM

The first and foremost reason I finally "decided" to lose the weight was for my health. I was terrified that I was setting myself up for some dreaded completely avoidable diseases by having all the increased weight on me. There are no gurarantees in life, at any weight, but knowing that I have given myself the very best shot at avoiding some of those diseases is very comforting to me and was a big motivator for me and will continue to be.

I was also sick and tired of lacking energy, stamina and strength. Of being somewhat depressed, lethargic, unproductive and just downright unhappy.
I was sick and tired of having a poor selection of overpriced clothing to choose from. I just hated, absolutely HATED how I was forced to dress. I felt so inadequate and terribly unfeminine.
I was sick and tired of dreading social event after social event.
I was sick and tired of fearing "seats" and "chairs". Of not fitting iinto them and if I did, well then breaking them.
I was scared to pieces of not being around for my daughters (that would go under the health category, I suppose).

The added weight was affecting me in every single aspect of my life. My quality of life was very poor. I simply got tired of settling for second best, when first best was within my reach.

And that is really just the tip of the iceberg.

karmuz 02-14-2008 12:50 PM

great thread!
more than anything else, my motivation is my health.
at 250lbs I didn't "look" that heavy, but I felt it, and many of my poor choices were starting to catch up to me - high cholesterol, bad skin, i just had this general look of poor health all around me. depression, constant yeast infections, the list goes on. i got sick ALL the time. colds, the flu, i was constantly in a state of poor immune health - and i didn't really even realize it.

I started losing weight because I could not mentally bear the thought of actually purchasing clothing in the next size up. I was wearing 20s, but definitely should have been wearing 22s.
After I dropped 50lbs, I settled for quite awhile and was starting to get comfortable, but I was definitely still not the vision of health i knew I could be.
along my journey, I've discovered that most of my problems stemmed from depression and that i'm an emotional eater. As soon as I started working on that, weight started dropping again... and the most recent 20lbs i've dropped have made all the difference in the world.
I feel better about myself, and that motivates me - if i feel this great NOW, how awesome will I feel at 150 when I can really show off all the muscle i've worked so hard to build up? I'm thinking pretty darn good.
The fact that my rear end is starting to look good in anything i wear is pretty motivating, too. If it looks this good at a size 10, how great is it going to look in an 8? or a 6? lol!!! :D

meldogml84 02-14-2008 01:06 PM

that itzy bitzy tiny weenie yellow polka dot bikini:D

SCraver 02-14-2008 01:10 PM

I first started this year by saying to myself things like: "Do I want to eat a cookie or do I want to have babies?" "Do I want to eat Cheesy dip or do I want to have babies?" (My DH and I are hoping to give it a try in October) :preg:
Every time I ask myself that question - I always get the same answer! :lol:
There are so many things that can go wrong during a pregnancy that I have no control over - Why wouldn't I do something to fix this one thing I CAN control.

But things have changed a little for me - I am actually ENJOYING cooking healthy recipes, trying new foods, joining a running group, feeling healthy, feeling good about myself... etc. There are jsut TOO MANY reason to lose weight and be healthy... and almost NO reason not to. Sometimes it seems hard, and I think it would be easier not to worry about it - but how would it be easier? I would have to worry about health problems, I would continue to worry about fitting into clothes, I would continue to feel like crap...
:soap:
Ok... I am done now!!! :blah:

jillybean720 02-14-2008 01:11 PM

I could write a book about this! Here are my incentives for losing weight (other than the obvious improved health and fitness, of course!):
  • I want to be able to go to an amusement park and not worry about whether or not I'll fit into the seat/restraints on all the rides, especially roller coasters (haven't been on a roller coaster in years due to fear of embarrassment of not fitting :()
  • I don't have kids yet, but I want to be in good shape when I do. I have had plenty of random health problems (not weight-related), so I doubt I would be fortunate enough to have a healthy pregnancy while obese. I'd rather get my body into shape before I have to support another life.
  • I have NEVER been able to shop in a normal clothing size section in my entire adult life. I've been in plus sizes since I started high school. I'd like to be able to go to ANY store in the mall and find something that fits rather than only be able to shop at Lane Bryant and Avenue.
  • My rolls sweat. I know that's gross, but it's true, and it's annoying.
  • I have big feet. I normally wear a 10 wide. I know it's not guaranteed, but I know a lot of women who lose weight also lose shoe sizes. It couldn't hurt, right? ;)
  • I want my boobs to stick out further than my stomach. I only wear a B cup, so this will take quite a bit of work :p
  • I have 2 puppies and 2 nieces--I need energy and endurance!
  • I would love for doctors to stop focusing on my weight. I can go in with an ear infection, and my weight will somehow come up during the appointment. No, my fat did not fill my ear, thank you.
  • I don't like being the one people have to "worry" about when ordering clothes. For example, I was the biggest girl in my sister's wedding party, so we had to make sure the dresses came big enough to fit me (and it was still very tight, BTW). Also, we got T-shirts made for my group at work for a company picnic, and, of course, I needed the biggest size, and it was still a little tight (though nearly down to my knees).
  • Sometimes, it's very tight for me to sit in a restaurant booth. Yuck.
  • I have bad knees. I bet they wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have so much extra weight pounding down on them with every step.
  • Movie theater seats and airplane seats and any other public arean seats (football games, baseball games, concerts, etc.) are tight. I hate praying that a stranger won't sit next to me so my fat doesn't squish under the armrest toward them. I know that's a visual you all needed :p
  • I hate having to worry when each season changes that the clothes I wore the year before might not fit anymore because I've GAINED weight.
  • My sister was an EMT or a long time. I'd hate to have a medical emergency and not have people be able to lift me onto a gurney or into an ambulance without a major struggle.
I'm going to stop now--I have to get back to work :p

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2054591)
I was sick and tired of dreading social event after social event.

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

AGREED!!!!

:cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp::cp:

cbuggin22 02-14-2008 01:25 PM

I want to look hot and be healthy. Plain and Simple.

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmuz (Post 2054593)
If it looks this good at a size 10, how great is it going to look in an 8? or a 6? lol!!! :D

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Thats so great! I can't wait to be in a size 10 again!!

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meldogml84 (Post 2054623)
that itzy bitzy tiny weenie yellow polka dot bikini:D

HAHA thats a good one too!!

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCraver (Post 2054636)
DH and I are hoping to give it a try in October

OOh good luck!! I love babies..lol

I am finding that i actually like cooking healthy too and to my surprise, my kids like the food!!

Tavinni 02-14-2008 01:31 PM

My biggest motivator right now is that I don't like the way that I look, so I want to look and feel better.

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:34 PM

ooh jillybean720 i think those are great motivation!!!!

PhotoChick 02-14-2008 01:34 PM

I have a lot of overall motivations, but lately what has been a HUGE motivator for me is looking good in my clothes.

This last week I went to a baby shower for a friend and I wore a cute springy skirt and a clingy silk sweater and I looked GOOD. Even in the photos of me that were taken ... for the first time I looked at pictures of me and didn't want to turn away and pretend it was someone else.

The outfit above I bought in a size 12. I just bought a new pair of jeans in size 12. I bought two misses tops in large (not womens 2x). I bought a pair of brown slacks in 12.

I haven't worn a 12 since I was in college.

So right now to be able to put on an item of clothing in a size I never thought I'd wear again and to look at myself in the mirror and say "hey, I look good" ...

That right there is my biggest motivator any time I feel like falling off the wagon.

mommy2two 02-14-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuggin22 (Post 2054668)
I want to look hot and be healthy. Plain and Simple.

Amen!!! LOL