Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am of the mind that, if you plan for it, no matter what it is, it isn't "cheating".

My plan has always, 100%, been to eat all of my meals and snacks from healthy choices, and have a dessert that was junk, or a couple drinks on the weekend, or whatever it was. That was my plan. Therefore, I never went off plan by doing those things.

If you are planning a day where you eat a higher calorie range, that isn't cheating...that is following your plan. I don't think this is all cheap semantics, either...the mindset between "I am on-plan and eating this ice cream cone" and "Today is my cheat day, so I will cheat by eating this ice cream cone" can be the difference between continuing with the plan and saying "today is my cheat day, so I can eat WHATEVER I WANT" and diving headfirst into a pile of Krispy Kremes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #17  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Amanda. My weekdays are pretty normal. I eat very simply during the weekdays and within the lower end of my calorie range. On weekends, I plan to go out to eat and thus plan for higher calorie ranges. They are all within my acceptable limits.

So I don't plan cheats, I plan meals and days where I may eat more than normal but I balance it out with lower calorie days throughout the week.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I'm going to stop thinking in terms of bad and good foods, I like the French Women Don't get Fat book, how you can cheat, in small amounts but the key is to walk it off or exercise to make up for it. I think that's fair. Also I think a fair idea is the more you exercise, and after getting close to your target weight or there the more revved up your metabolism is and the more you can cheat here and there. There's just a few things I can't give up, some red wine, peanut m&m's, some chips and salsa with melted cheese, a little ice cream (I've discovered Skinny Cow though), and those big juicy burgers. It seems the key is keeping the cheats small, or just having a few bites for me - like I snuck a few of my boy's fries the other day. They tasted good, but I kept it at five of them knowing I'm working to lose and get fit. The articles/experts even on the homepage of this site say very strick dieting can lead to binging... perhaps it depends on the person, but if I have my cheats here and there then I'm not as likely to feel like I"m depriving myself. Yet the cheats will have to be worked into my calories for the day/week.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
There's just a few things I can't give up, some red wine, peanut m&m's, some chips and salsa with melted cheese, a little ice cream (I've discovered Skinny Cow though), and those big juicy burgers.
As has been said, the challenge is to be able to stop once you start, and to plan ahead with your calories. Good luck!

Many of us had things we just "couldn't" give up--until we realized that trying to keep eating them wasn't working. Maybe you'll be lucky and none of those will be a problem for you.

Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #20  
Under His mercy

Height: 5'9"

horsey - are you doing the Eat-Clean Diet? I started it a week or so ago and am loving it. I feel great and am not hungry.

I save a few glasses of wine for the weekend and maybe eat out a time or two but still try to eat as clean as possible.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #21  

Yes I started the Clean Eating diet about a week ago too, I love it too.

Jay I think you are right, the problem seems to be "stopping" when you grab just a few chips and all of a sudden you go back for a plate with melted cheese and the works, I did that once last week, felt horrible. Or when one glass of wine turns into three and 400 calories! That will mess up a day!

I'm going to clean out my kitchen one more time of starches and junk that I won't eat no matter what. And I'm going to keep treats hidden up high so I never see them and will be less tempted. I seem to be happy most the time with Wasa crackers and skinny cheese, plus veggies at night, without the chips.

Either way I"m going to have to clean up my habits to lose the last 10 or so lbs I want to lose... cheating is mostly OUT.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #22  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I can plan a special meal into my calorie allowance, but my problem comes in what happens AFTER that meal. I HAVE TO have a plan for the next snack or meal, or else I easily slip off plan. For me, it's not so much the plan for the "cheat" but the plan for afterward that's important.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #23  

So you "cheat" then look at calories/nutrition so far for the day and make allowances? Perhaps if I have a big burger for lunch, too much fat, then cut to almost no fat at dinner for example? Biggest problem seems to be the evening cheating, when you have had a good clean eating day, and splurge with wine or chips, and went way over calories etc. I did that in a minor way last night, ended up 250 cal over what my goal was and it was late. I had a PLAN to NOT eat 2-3 hours before bed and I broke it. I think cheating needs to stay during daytime hours so if you cheat you PAY by exercising more, or eating less at dinner, etc. However I do these late night workouts that I love BUT when in "cheat" mode I don't want to exercise, I want to plop on the couch and watch tv! So late night snacking appears to be my problem.