Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Help me figure out a new plan please

I have had success with my plan (Lean For Life---no refined carbs, lean meats, lots of veggies and some fruits) in the past, but this time around I'm very bored with it. I really don't like meat that much and have been playing around with the portions and counting calories so that I can add nuts, beans and other sources of protein.

But truth be told, I need to have portions spelled out for me. I need a logical program to follow or I keep slipping in foods that I probably shouldn't eat.

So, can you tell me what program is out there that would fit my likes (I like potatoes and white flour products best, but that's beside the point )
I'm looking for a plan that includes
-vegetables, fruit, lean meats, beans, some whole grains, nuts

Thank you.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i personally have tried a few things...and i find for me calorie counting works the best. I can have what i want...but have to stay in my range. That way if i want a piece of bread...i can. But you need to find what works for you. Everyone has their own things that work. Remember, this needs to be stuck to for life..or you will just gain it back
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
i personally have tried a few things...and i find for me calorie counting works the best. I can have what i want...but have to stay in my range. That way if i want a piece of bread...i can. But you need to find what works for you. Everyone has their own things that work. Remember, this needs to be stuck to for life..or you will just gain it back
I agree with you!! Anytime i try a "plan" i seem to stray or just quit completely. When counting calories i feel like i can eat "normal" food and it keeps my portions in check.
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Another vote for calorie counting. The only plan I know of that has absolutely no restrictions on WHAT I can eat. That being said, I think it is really important to plan, plan, plan. Realize what your trigger foods are and get them out of the house - for now at least. Then register with a program like Fitday or TDP and start planning some menus that work for you.
The calorie counter's forum has some really good adivice for getting started.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy3gal View Post

I'm looking for a plan that includes
-vegetables, fruit, lean meats, beans, some whole grains, nuts

Well, gosh, that sounds like a plan to me right there! And a pretty good one at that. You also mentioned that you've been playing around with calorie counting. Combine the 2 of em and it's shaping up quite nicely. The calorie counting will help you to set portions.

IMO, the best plan for each of us, is the one that each of us devises. Most "diets" work - if you stick with them. The thing then of course is to find one that we can each STICK with. By taking a litttle bit from this plan and a little bit from that plan, one can tweak it so that it becomes "their" plan and that's what it's all about.

Make sure to have your home fully stocked with the things that you want to incorporate into your menu. And of course keep OUT of your home all the things that AREN'T on your plan. This will make it easier to stick with.

Also keep in mind, you don't have to have everything down pat when you start out. Your good eating will evolve as you get more and more into this and find your likes and dislikes and what works for you - and what doesn't.

Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/157/125

OMG rockinrobin i just looked at your before/after pics and you look GREAT!!!
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

The latest articles are saying it doesn't make a difference in a year if you do the low carb dieting or other diets, that it's about counting calories and exercise. I think you lose weight a little faster if you lower the carbs and yes the potatoes become occasional treats instead of a part of daily meals.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

You kind of have to lower the carbs to make calorie counting work. Carbs (other than veggies) are very calorie dense so they do have to be limited. It's much better to get the bulk of your calories from veggies and lean proteins, regardless of the particular 'diet', imho anyway.

You could make your own rules. One of my rules is that, with the exception of pasta, I never take more than 100 calories of starch/simple carbs during my meals. If I want rice, that's fine, but I only get 1/2 cup. Ditto potatoes, bread, couscous etc etc. I have to get the bulk of my meal from veggies and meat or beans.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

Ever heard of Body for Life? The eating plan is a portion of protein and a portion of carbs at every meal with some good fats thrown in there. On that plan a portion of protein = size of your palm and a portion of carbs = size of your fist. It's been a long time, so forgive me, I'm trying to remember... I know you're supposed to eat 6 times a day - I think it's like 3 meals and 3 snacks. You can check out their website for more (accurate!) info.

You can start out with something simple like that and then narrow it down to something more specific if you need to at a later time.

What's important is that you start and find something that you can turn into a more permanent way of eating. Most likely, that way of eating will evolve along the way! Good luck! You can do it
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote